An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ramona stopped listening!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:30 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi, Ramona's human, Paige, here with a question. My dear, darling Ramona decided that she knows best and doesnt' have to listen to me any more. The twerp. She's been great at obedience, sitting and down were automatic. Other commands were strong as well. She's never been great at recall, but she would come eventually, when called.

This weekend, however, her rebellious phase kicked in and she doesn't listen AT ALL when we're not in the house. In fact, her new game is, "Let's ignore mom and make her chase me around to catch me!"

I just read in another thread about sitting down when she does this; I'm going to try that tonight when I get home.
But how about the ignoring part? Is it a phase? Will she start listening again? Even treats and toys don't tempt her when she's being bratty. Thoughts?

Here's the twerp last weekend, when she was behaving and acting like a good girl:

Attachments:
Ramona at Home Goods.jpg
Ramona at Home Goods.jpg [ 98.64 KiB | Viewed 913 times ]

Stella (buff, my mom's dog) 7/1/2003
Over the bridge: Livvie, Maggie, Sadie

Post subject: Re: Ramona stopped listening!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:09 pm 
Recommended Breeder

Ramona is reaching her first adolescent stage. The owners of my litter of puppies that are three days younger than Ramona are reporting the same thing and I am seeing it in the puppy I kept. Be patient, be firm, and this stage will pass in a couple of months... of course there are more ahead lol.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

Paige wrote:
he's never been great at recall, but she would come eventually, when called.

This weekend, however, her rebellious phase kicked in and she doesn't listen AT ALL when we're not in the house. In fact, her new game is, "Let's ignore mom and make her chase me around to catch me!"

First off, keep in mind that she's just a baby so you do need to keep expectations modest shall we say :)

But, IMO, there is no such thing as 'not that great at recall'. Everytime you call her and she doesn't come, she is learning that its optional. So, unless you know she's going to come, you could, for instance, say 'Hey, Ramona....' and turn and run away and let her chase you. Or, you could leave a very light rope on her collar when you're supervising her and only use "Come" l when you can reach the rope and reel her into you. Even if you had to reel her in, the praise should be lavish.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:14 am 
Forum Legend

If you're not in the house, Ramona should be on a leash. Not coming to you should not be an option she can get away with, as her life could depend on it. If you're in a fenced yard, then of course you can get away without the leash if it's playtime. However, you should set aside training time outside, where she is on a leash or lead, which doesn't give her the option to engage you in a game of "catch me if you can." Training sessions should be short, so that she doesn't get bored, and fun and inviting so that she figures out that when you call her, the BEST most FUN thing she can do is come to you.