An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Separating 6 month old at mealtimes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:07 am 
Active Forum Member

I always get such wonderful advice from you all. So here is my latest conundrum!

We always put 6 month old Jasper outside at our mealtimes. If I don't he jumps and won't leave us in peace to eat. We have two outside options: 1) our front yard where he can't see us = barking the entire time he is outside. 2) Our back yard where he can see in through glass doors so doesn't bark = scratching and lunging at door entire time he is outside which is started to ruin the door.

I feel we have three options: inside annoying us, outside barking and annoying neighbours, or scratching at doors and removing paintwork!!?? None are great.

Is there any way for us to get through family dinners in peace without him barking or howling or wrecking our house? We 100% ignore his behaviour but it doesn't change.

He is walked daily, and fed before our mealtime (we've tried before and after) and still this persists.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Separating 6 month old at mealtimes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:21 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

My four learned to be in a corner during meal time. They get a treat for staying put. Same for when I am cooking. Only get treats if they are at the corner I place them.

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:26 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I would put him in the crate at mealtimes and work on training while he is in the crate. To be honest, I would sit on the floor with him in his crate while my family ate and teach him to sit/stay quietly during mealtimes, even if it meant taking him out of the crate and physically holding him. Reward him when he is quiet. Yes you are not eating with your family but he is 6 months old and training is critical or you will have a lifelong issue of an untrained dog, and it will probably go beyond meals. Getting a puppy is a huge responsibility and training is so important so you can have a life with a wonderful dog. He will not outgrow this behavior unless you teach him. Putting him outside away from the family is not teaching him. What if kids come over to the house and they have food and he tries to grab the food and bites a child-that would be a huge issue. When my dogs were puppies I put their needs ahead of my own needs(OK, I still do!), whatever it took. I have slept many a night on the floor with a puppy in a crate in their early days, when I had my first puppy before crate training was so popular I slept on the very hard hallway floor while my puppy was in the bathroom behind a gate. My puppies always grew into well adjusted, loving and wonderful dogs, I never considered it work I considered it my obligation to them.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:55 am 
Forum Legend

Hi there,

I sympathize - Cici was easier because she was adopted as an adult, but I can still share what we trained her to do in case it is helpful.

She was very excited at our meal times. Panting, pacing, circling the table - not jumping, as we got stern when she did that, but nevertheless, constant begging. It went on for a while. We were charmed senseless by her big eyes and good looks.

But then it had to stop. Especially if we had guests. She still begs, but it is whole lot more peaceful and under control. This may not work for you if you don't want her in the room at all.

We kept a little pad or towel or dog mat - anything, near the table. Not very close, about 3 feet away, you can say - our dining room is small. We taught her the "go to your spot" command. When she learned it, we gave her a crumb. Now it is not every time she gets something, but in a firm voice, we tell her to go to her spot, and she goes there and stays put. She also knows the gesture of the palm "Wait", so she knows to stay put.

Also, she used to and still tries to sit in the kitchen in a demanding pose when I am cooking. She knows "out" with clap of the hands and firm voice. She does not come back.

I had a Doberman puppy once, and that was a challenge - they are tougher to train when younger, so I understand. But definitely start now!

The recent help of a trainer for even 1.5 hours has been very helpful for us, too. Just one lesson to teach some commands is so helpful, if possible for you. We taught her "go to your spot" ourselves. If you'd like to know how, let me know. You are probably far more experienced than I am!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:15 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

MarciaM wrote:
My four learned to be in a corner during meal time. They get a treat for staying put. Same for when I am cooking. Only get treats if they are at the corner I place them.

I am in total agreement with the training approach. None of my cockers (7) have been allowed near the dining table when we are eating. :th-up

The only time that I have resorted to putting one outside is when I had an elderly guest that I was afraid would trip over the dog,

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:38 pm 
Forum Legend

I have always avoided this problem by having a crate in the general area, where the dog could see us from inside the crate. I trained my first cocker "go to your bed" by tossing a very small treat on it, then sending her and treating. That worked well until grandkids started arriving in my family. Then I had to crate the dog to keep the kids from feeding her from the table! (the dog was way easier to train than the kids!)

PS I've never known of a cocker to stay outside peacefully if separated from their people.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:23 am 
Forum Legend

Hi

I agree to either crate train or go to mat train as already stated. Your dog is young enough to be shaped still.

Building on what Cici said...here is a video of one of my trainers demonstrating teaching go to mat using a clicker. It really does work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_NEoBPLP78

Find a clicker class if you need additional help. The effort you put in now will pay off for a lifetime.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 1
MACH Points -71
MX Q's - 2
MJX Q's - 2
(edited 12/16)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:08 pm 
Active Forum Member

Definitely work on this training wise either by sending him to a crate or a bed. (you could even send him to a couch) Think forward 10 yrs - you dont want to STILL have this issue. And you wont want to send him outside if the weather is really bad.

Giving him a stuffed kong in his crate while you eat might be helpful. Or another food filled toy (buster cube, busy buddy egg etc) in a separate room. Also, make sure you NEVER EVER feed him from the table. Dont allow kids to do so or even call the dog to the table. This helps them not associating food on the table = food for them.

One of my dogs is awesome with this - he actually lays down on the couch and sleeps until the end of dinner. Then one of the kids will bring him a tidbit of some sort while he waits there. !! Wish I could claim it was training, but he came to us like that. Course, if there is food unattended on the table, he'll just help himself so he's not perfect. :gig