The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Potty Training in an APARTMENT/CONDO?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:42 pm 
Active Forum Member

:hi
Hello fellow Cocker-loving friends,

Bella-Bean and I are moving into an apartment this August. We have lived in a townhome for the past four years and she has been trained to potty in a section of our fenced yard via her doggie door. Housetraining her wasn't without its challenges, but the apartment setting is something completely new to us. Should I use puppy pads? One of those porch potties? A litter box?

I was thinking of just bringing her doggie door and installing it on the patio in our new apartment, but I figured it would be pretty rude to let her urine drip on the unit below us! :shock: I also don't want her to have access to the patio while I am not home, since I don't want to allow her to rehearse her barking behavior when people or other dogs pass by.

I would love to hear your feedback on how those of you who live in an apartment complex or condo have approached this.

Thank you in advance, friends!

Alex

Can't wait to be reunited with:
Finnaeus (Muffin) June 1998-June 2012

Post subject: Re: Potty Training in an APARTMENT/CONDO?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:22 am 
Forum Legend

Walks long or just short potty walks as often as needed would be my suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:15 am 
Forum Legend

I can't really offer any advice for re-training her from the current routine, but Oliver has only ever known apartment living. In my first apartment with him, I did have a large terrace where he would go on potty pads sometimes. This felt like a necessity when he was 10 weeks old and peeing every ten minutes, but it was gross. Urine everywhere, spraying down the patio, trying not to get the neighbors angry, poo patrol...no thanks.
Since he was about a year, he's been on the 3x/day schedule.

How many times does she go potty in an average day? I don't know what your work schedule is, but could you potentially walk her before work and get a dog walker to take her out again during the day? A healthy adult dog should be fine to hold her bladder that long...is there any reason she needs 24/7 access?

I've worked from home for the large majority of Oliver's life, but even when I was in a traditional office Oliver was on the 3x/day routine. Long walk and potty in the morning, long walk as soon as I got home, and potty again in the evening.

Good luck finding a solution...if all else fails, maybe you want to consider this method of toilet training, which has been a pipe dream of mine forever :lol2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TqlFp1bvck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:06 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi there,

We lived in two apartments with Cici. One with no balcony/patio and the second one with a patio.

I think potty pads are great, but they can be annoying with all the cleaning and smell and stuff. They have their uses when you are away a long time.

When you house-trained her to use the doggie door and go out to the yard, where there any particular words you used? Like "go pee"? or something like that?

Would it help to get her on a schedule now (3 x a day, with long walk in the morning before you leave for work) and use the same words when going out, so she understands it is for the same purpose?

If she needs to go more often and you are away, then perhaps try introducing her to the patio potty pad by pouring some of her urine on it - gross, I know...it helped with someone's dog I know, as identifying it as place to go. Or hiring a walker for mid day potty break is another, more expensive option, if doable.