An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hi From Joel Silverman
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:02 am 
Active Forum Member

I just wanted to say hello to all the Jim Zim Cocker owners, breeders, trainers, etc... it has been 4 or 5 years since I have been here!! been very busy... you might have seen my picture on the screen at the Chase bank ATMs.. .and also these sponsored commercials are online at Chase's youtube page... and the :30 one comes out in September on TV.. hope all is well with everyone here and their pooches! Here are the links:

https://youtu.be/FHbJ3eFAWxM

https://youtu.be/q1QzFghc-k4

Post subject: Re: Hi From Joel Silverman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:03 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Hi Joel!

Welcome back. As you know, many of us on the forum are very knowledgable about breeding, grooming, illnesses such as IMHA and we all try to help each other, especially when one of the forum dogs is ill. One of the areas that I think we are very weak in knowledge about is Rage Syndrome. We have lost a few forum pups to this, and it breaks all of our hearts to see someone deal with this and end up making a horrible decision for an otherwise healthy dog. Perhaps you could give us some insight on what to do, treatments, etc. I did ask my vet and do some googling and it seems to be a chemical imbalance in the brain like a seizure disorder, which really would leave behavior training a far second in treatment. Any help you could give us would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:03 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Rage syndrome is now thought to be a seizure-like issue or possibly hypo-thyroidism (my American cocker has autoimmune thyroiditis and shows rage type behaviour in certain situations). However, many aggression issues in cockers are automatically assumed to be cocker rage... which in the vast majority of cases isn't the case. In many cases, it is actually resource guarding or other explainable aggression issues.

For true rage syndrome, there is no treatment as the cause isn't known. The condition can be carefully managed to keep both the dog and other people/dogs safe, but it can't be fully resolved. If it is due to hypo-thyroidism, then thyroid replacement hormones can bring a considerable improvement or even cure. If the aggression is due to resource guarding for example (which is very common in gundogs), then that can be addressed with behaviour modification.

Mum to Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel), Skye (English Cocker Spaniel) and Blake (Saluki Lurcher). RIP Troy and Dylan!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you Sandy.. it is good to be back with you guys! As far as Rage Syndrome goes, I do deal with aggression etc.. but as you know, this is much different... I do have quite a few friends that are veterinarians, as well as know a bit about animal behavior. What I will do is reach out to them, and see if they have any information that you might be able to use that others have not offered yet.