An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 5 month old barking & growling when asked to stay
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:43 am 
Active Forum Member

We're having great fun training our 5 month cocker (he is very cheeky and currently taken to jumping on the sofa the moment we leave the room and refusing to get down).

We're curious - if we sit on the sofa ourselves with a hot drink or a biscuit we get him to sit and stay in his basket. He KNOWS we're serious as he always stays, but immediately starts barking and biting his basket, growling and rolling round. He'll stay but causes a huge fuss.

Other times we get him to stay with treats when we're outside training him etc, he doesn't tend to stay as long, but will sit quietly.

What is up with his barking when he KNOWS we MEAN what we say? Is he feeling threatened or just playing up?

Curious?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 5 month old barking & growling when asked to stay
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:13 pm 
Forum Legend

My guess, is he's playing

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:53 pm 
Forum Legend

You said he's cheeky - so I'm thinking he's playing. I have an almost 5-y/o who invented the word "naughty." She's smart as a whip, but that sounds like something she would do to let us know that she understands, but doesn't agree, LOL.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:06 pm 
Forum Legend

LOL Sassy!

Sounds like you have a smarty pants on your hands. Think toddler having a temper tantrum and you get an idea of what you are dealing with. If you don't want the behavior, your going to need to do some training. Remember what is cute now could be very annoying down the line.

For now I'd try ignoring the behavior and rewarding when he's quiet. If you have to, remove the bed - use a flat rug, or even remove him from the room. Any attention including negative is rewarding ... laughing (cause lets face it ...its cute and funny) is a reward. Remain calm and be consistent.

I allow my dog on a chair and one area of couch. I don't have a problem with her getting on the couch... but I would have a problem if she refused to get off when told. If your dog starts thinking the couch is his territory then there is a possibility of resource guarding down the line. The couch needs to be something you control or you may find yourself sitting on the floor and dog on the couch LOL. Teach "On" and "Off" or "Up" and "Down". (whatever you want to call it) I use "OK Up" and "Off".

If you find yourself overwhelmed by all means find a professional to help. Classes are a great idea even if you know what your doing training wise. Cockers can be very stubborn but usually respond well to positive training methods.... they love their treats! LOL Good luck with your sassy boy! He sounds like a character!

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm 
Active Forum Member

I totally agree with Lisa and Tina. I have a 1 year old and she definitely knows the difference between "good girl" and "naughty girl".

When it comes to the couch, bed, etc, she has to wait for permission to get up. So I like "okay, up" and then "off" for commands. It can be confusing to use 'down' to get off the couch if you also use it for 'lay down'. I've also found that Jennie understands short sentences... if I say 'off' and she doesn't move, I move on to "Jennie, get off" (in a stern voice) and that usually does the trick. :gig

On the positive side, if he is smart enough to try this technique to get his way, he will be lots of fun as he gets older. Jennie likes to play "hide and seek" with me and she is learning to find a sealed plastic jar with coconut oil it in among a group of jars with no scent. It's lots of fun for both of us!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:16 am 
Active Forum Member

I'm going to go with Lisa on this one. I've got one that will be nine years old in Aug. and will still go into her crate and dig and act up if she doesn't agree with what we say or she gets frustrated. It is much like a toddler having a temper tanturm. I feel when she does it she's somewhat giving herself a time out and working out her issues by beating up on the mat in her crate. She' s the best, super smart almost to smart for her own good, but can be very bossy and wants her own way, so it's important that we are consistant and don't give in. Lisa is also correct any attention even negative is attention so be careful. We found with Karlie when she was small that the best way to make our point was to give her a timeout (we had tiedowns placed thoughout the house) and then ignore her for 5 to 10 minutes let her loose and act as if nothing had happened. This still works today when she's a total brat, as she hates to be ignored and always comes and kisses you after, her way of saying sorry and all is forgiven. Now this works for Karlie but does nothing for Kaitlyn as Kaitlyn will just take a nap, or roll over and bat her paws at the air, she doesn't seem to know that she's being ignored. So not every trick works for every dog. Judging from the history with my two, you've got a smarty pants on your hands and he's going to push the limits. Stay strong and consistant and enjoy him they grow up way to fast.

Buffy Amber Frost 1/16/80 - 7/3/95