An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Rio's 10 weeks and potty training's gone south
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

We love Rio, but we are failing at potty training, and what I want to hear is that we still have a chance to completely turn this around! After reading KLADckrs advice on potty training, I feel as though I'm following everything she/he advises minus two pretty important pieces.
# 1. We do not tether him to us in the house, and certainly not right after post potty trips outside, especially when he's done #1 & 2.

#2. We were advised by our breeder to allow him only 20-25 minutes outside his crate, and after taking out to pee/poop, put him back in crate for 2 hours. Mealtimes, he can go out same thing and then back in crate.

As for #1. This advice runs contrary to how we've done it with any of our previous puppies. It sounds very smart, but it seems pretty restrictive for us and so we do our best to supervise. Sort of. We live in a open floor plan house. The entire downstairs is pretty open. So when we're in the living room, it flows easily to the dining hall ways etc. He takes off and well, you know the rest of the story. We didn't mind him going inside yesterday, we live on Cape Cod, had 70 mile winds and 26 inches of snow, so we cut him some slack and let him relieve himself indoors. He was thrilled.

As for #2. After reading Kladckrs it says put puppy in the crate for 20 minutes if they've not gone potty. That seems reasonable. But my breeder stresses her potty training is because of the following: her puppies are able to pee and poop at their whim in her big crate from birth to sale. Upon selling at 8 weeks, it's now our job to teach Rio how to hold his pee for at least 2 hours. Hence the putting him in the crate for 2 hours. And she said given that he needs his sleep and rest, so another reason she only allows him to play out of his crate for 20 minutes and then right back in.
The only exception to this rule is if we're prepared to hold him. So if he's gone potty, but it's been his allotted 20 minutes of playtime, unless you plan on holding him, back he goes. And for each week of his new life with us, we can add 5 minutes to his outside playtime.

Here's my issue. A. Rio will go outside and pee and poop. Then he'll come in, and according to the breeder, he now gets 20 minutes to play, supervised, she mentioned the leash but didn't make a big deal out of it. But often times he'll go into the dining room, or kitchen and pee within 5-10 minutes of having just pee'd outside. What's up with that? I dont think he has a urinary tract infection because it's sporadic, but I suppose he could? And he drinks a ton of water, never after 6:30pm, but he enjoys it during he day, and we were told he could have as much as he likes!

Also, it's important to note that he sleeps all night (aren't we the lucky ones?) from 10-6 or 11-7 and we don't hear a peep out of him and that's pretty much been how it's been since week 8. Never once spoiled in his crate. So man can he hold it huh?

So, here I am. I have today been putting him back in his crate, not for the full 2 hours every time, maybe a couple of 2 hours confinement, but he's definitely spending more time in his crate. Yet, he still thinks it's fine to pee anywhere.

Help!

Post subject: Re: Rio's 10 weeks and potty training's gone south
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 pm 
Forum Legend

You still have a BABY on your hands and shouldn't expect him to be potty trained at 10 weeks old. He will START to get it, but it's going to take longer than 10 weeks in most instances.

Why don't you tether him to you - especially if you have an open floor plan? It's really pretty easy and allows you to catch him in the act and immediately remove him to outside and praise him. It takes patience and consistency and you seem to be on the right track. At this point, you know your puppy pretty well and what he can and can't do - so to follow the breeder's advice to the letter seems counterproductive. Start watching for his cues: does he circle? sniff? run around? It's another good reason to tether him to you because you can pick up on his signals and act upon them. I think you might be giving him mixed signals about where and when he can pee. If you allowed him to pee inside during the storm (and I would have made some arrangements for inside, too) he can't just choose where he'll go. He either needs a designated spot (pee pads) or the garage or somewhere that he knows he can go. To allow him as much free reign as you are doing now isn't helping because it's too much too soon. If he isn't in his crate, he needs to be confined to one room or an x-pen or someplace like that.

You'll get there! We all have frustrations with new puppies and it just takes getting to know them and their signals, and maybe a little older puppy.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:31 pm 
Forum Legend

I agree with Tina, be patient. That is a lot to learn for a tiny boy, but consistencey will prove to win. Once you get to the point where you know his signs and he know's yours, it is just so great. I wanted to add that be sure not to be harsh by words or physical correction (rubbing his nose in it kind of stuff ) if he has an accident. Dogs live in the momnent, a second later he has no idea why he is being punished so let it go. I always used the "potty" or "poop" word. It is amazing how quickly they learn those words and WILL go on command when you need them too (or at least look like it and fake you out). :lol2

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Both Terry & Tina have given you great advice. It's normal to feel frustrated at 10 weeks—he's still very little and the smallest amount of stimulation can cause him to go potty. Tethering *did* work really well for me after it was suggested by someone on the forum—as Terry pointed out, punishing him after the fact doesn't click in his head. Instead, you want to catch him in the act and scold him gently and run him outside. Of course, winter is the nastiest time to be dealing with this particular challenge, so you have my sympathy.

Anyway, there are so many different methods for potty training, but the key is going to be consistency, as the others have pointed out. Keep at it and take heart—we've all been there! It will definitely get better soon.

P.S.-Definitely don't worry that you don't have a chance to "turn it around." If adult dogs who haven't been properly potty trained can be taught to go outdoors, a 10 week old puppy is nothing in comparison :happy He's still learning and will pick up on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:26 am 
Active Forum Member

OMG can you hear the love to all of you from Cape Cod!!!!

Yes, all great advice. I definitely feel so much better. And to think I've done this with 5 cockers in my life! I think I just had a moment of such insecurity, like, oh no you've really gone and blown it now.

So yes I will take all your suggestions and work on it and report back. Tethering him as we speak
:happy
PS. he's chewing my slippers as I write this. Oh Lordy, never a dull moment.

PSS. Would NEVER scold him or yell at him for a mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:50 pm 
Forum Legend

Regina:

Time for a Rio update. How's the potty training, and other challenges going? I'm sure the snow hasn't affected you. :gig

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci