Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 8 weeks old - questions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:05 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Everyone,

Brand new baby, Rio's been with us 3 days now. We have an 8 yr old cocker who seems somewhat interested, really wants to play but as you know Rio is spending most of his time getting acquainted with our home.

Couple of questions. Rio seems a little submissive, yet he was (according to the breeder) the pick of the litter, he was the biggest (but gosh does he look little to us) and he was bigger than his brothers. So I don't want to confuse submissive with simple newness. He runs all over, slept thru the night last night from 11-6:30 woohoo! Eats well, plays well. I just keep noticing that whenever Toby the 8 year old is involved, Rio puts his tail under his butt and then sometime crawls towards Toby in a very submissive way. Granted he's been growled at a few times. Mostly though Toby seems totally okay with a new puppy in the house.

We had a cocker puppy Rudy for 10 weeks, but he died of a brain tumor 4.5 months. Very sad but it does happen. So this little fellow is our second chance of having two cockers. We are in LOVE already.

Oh and my second question is how cold is too cold. Today is lovely with temps in the low 40's but yesterday is was 15 at 6:30am. Rio and I were freezing almost immediately. He did his business pretty quickly but would cry almost immediately after. To be honest, I think he's awfully little to spend too much time outside in those temps so I did not feel too badly when he went poop twice during the day inside. Has only had 1 pee accident, so we feel pretty good with our routine.

We are using the crate system. And breeder advised us to only give him 20 minutes of playtime and then right back into the crate.

We are the worst at this, often let him nap on our laps or on floor. Are we gonna regret this?

Post subject: Re: 8 weeks old - questions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:31 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Question #1: He is being submissive to the older dog until he gets to know him better, in my opinion. This should change once he realizes the older dog isn't going to hurt him.

Question #2: If any of my puppies are being housebroken in colder weather, 40 degrees is cold, I would be taking them outside on-leash and bringing them inside as soon as they were done. My rule is that if I am cold then so are they.

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:28 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi: Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see pictures of your new baby. LOVE his name - Rio! Here's how to post a picture:

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... ?f=14&t=14

I don't think you should worry that you will regret letting your puppy sleep on your lap. Mine have slept in my bed since they were pretty small and I don't have any regrets. Be sure to handle him a lot - feet, teeth, ears, tail - everywhere. Cockers need to be routinely groomed and that takes a lot of handling, so IMHO I don't think you can handle him too much at this age.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:15 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear about Rudy, how sad. Casey was a xmas puppy at 10 weeks old, and it was a very cold winter-we had a long stretch of single digit weather that January which was way too cold for him. I hated doing it but I used papers in a bathtub which we did not use when it was too cold out. It took longer to train him because of it but he trained quickly in March when the weather was better-he followed my other cocker outside and the scent helped him. I agree with Juanita if it is too cold for me it is too cold for a young puppy-even putting a coat on exposes his little tootsies. He was the only winter puppy I ever had-all the others were spring and summer puppies and very easy to train outside. I would not feel bad about about paper training in the cold winter, he will catch on quickly when it warms up.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:54 pm 
Forum Legend

I agree 100% with what Juanita said.

Like you I am the worst at crating. I didn't do it PERIOD and don't regret. Everyone has their own thinking of what is best. I stayed on top of Abby...and took her out OFTEN. By often I mean every 30 mins tops. Of course, if it's cold that's a bit rough doing. I also let Abby sleep on my lap or where ever she wanted. I don't regret it, because I don't crate.