Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Keeping the Dog Happy in Another Room
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Hey everybody—

I have a question and wondered if you might have some insight to share. Oliver fits the "merry Cocker" stereotype to a T, and he gets stupidly excited every time we have visitors. Most people who happen to visit my apartment are friends or family members who are more than happy to let Oliver sit on their laps throughout the duration of their visit, but obviously, this isn't always the case.

For example, last week I had multiple servicemen in my apartment at different times throughout the week—I changed Internet providers & my building super had to repair some plumbing issues. I had multiple service appointments to get all of this work done, and each time, I answered the door and quickly placed Oliver in my bedroom so the worker could tackle his chores without a pesky dog begging for attention.

The problem? Every time I placed Oliver in the bedroom, he made his displeasure quite obvious. He whimpered loudly and even threw himself against the door :OMY As many of you longtime forum members may know, I had one heck of a time getting him comfortable being alone as a puppy (separation anxiety=nightmare!)...as an adult dog, he's pretty well adjusted and no longer cries and makes a fuss when I leave the apartment. I think his temper tantrums were simply because he knew there was someone here and he wasn't allowed to spend time with them. Honestly, I was shocked with how poorly he behaved though, and it was stressful dealing with the repairmen with a screeching dog in the background.

Any advice for curbing this behavior?

Post subject: Re: Keeping the Dog Happy in Another Room
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:37 pm 
Forum Legend

It's not really training, but maybe hold him on his leash with you?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:45 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

With my 3 dogs it can be quite overwhelming when people come. I gate them in the living room where they can see the action but are still separated, and with a teenager in a band we have alot of friends come over. Once they settle down then they can come out. I would suggest putting Oliver in his crate where he can still see who is there and be a part of it but not be the center of attention.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:13 am 
Active Forum Member

I do something similar to Sandy. The kids get put in the other room behind a baby gate so they can still see the action. Then I give them a high value treat like a bully stick rigth when repair guy gets there. There is a usual amount of excitment and saying "HI". But they quickly remember the bully stick and lie down right in front of the gate, chewing away, keeping an eye on things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:38 pm 
Forum Legend

debbiefive wrote:
It's not really training, but maybe hold him on his leash with you?

Smart Debbie, we're thinking alike...that's what I ultimately did when the whining got to be too much. :lol2

Thanks for the tips Sandy & Sorcha — smart about the bully stick Sorcha! I sometimes will give Oliver a Kong full of goodies when a stranger comes over, as it lets him get his frantic energy out with the food, rather than focusing on the person...I didn't think to give him something like when the repair guys were here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:52 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

He will be just very frustrated as he isn't allowed to greet the people coming in, which is understandable. A couple of things come to mind:

1. Would he be better if you allowed him to greet them, and then put him in a separate room? Perhaps even with a baby gate rather than a door so he can still see out?

2. I would teach him that when people come and he is put away, he gets super yummy treats. So I would give him a nice chew or a stuffed kong for example, so he has something to do in that room and it might take his mind off the other people enough to settle him.

3. I would also practice this procedure "dry" as it were, in other words without any workmen there. So just put him in your bedroom, to start off just a minute or two - giving him a small chew or treat - and then let him out again, then gradually build him up to more. So going into that room isn't just associated with strangers being in the house that he can't greet, but more a procedure that happens every so often.

Mum to Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel), Skye (English Cocker Spaniel) and Blake (Saluki Lurcher). RIP Troy and Dylan!