An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: New 5 weeks old puppy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi everyone. I'm hoping any of you could help me with my new 5-week old puppy. So he is too young I know and I need loads of advice on that. I have trained a Maltese before so I kinda know some basics but with cooper I think I'm having some trouble.

Since he is still 5 weeks old, he didn't have his shots yet and so I can't take him outside to potty train him. So I got the pads and I take him as soon as he wakes up, right after every meal and after playing. There have been some accidents here and there but I think that he just doesn't get the pad idea yet! He only does it when I take him so if I am not monitoring him he would just do it on the floor, any idea how I can train him at such young age? Also how will I be able to shift from inside to outside when he gets his shots? Moreover, how do I know if my back yard doesn't have any ticks or fleas? And how do I get rid of them?

Post subject: Re: New 5 weeks old puppy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:57 pm 
Forum Legend

He's probably too young to understand what you want of him. BUT don't give up. He will learn with consistency. As for your yard, its any one's guess. Do you have a concrete pad or driveway? Maybe take him out on leash there only, until he's old enough for flea protection and had his shots?

He must have had a wing dinger of a breeder to let him go at 5 weeks. :cry I also had a 5 weeks old puppy years ago. She learned, and she was so incredibly smart and a wonderful dog. Josie was going to the pound with her litter. My girl the result of an oops breeding. Dad was a fence climber. Oh, and the entire litter was saved as was Mom!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:54 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

You can take him in to your yard under certain conditions, if you carefully watch him. The thing you want to be careful about is that he doesn't find any kind of animal poop and eat it. So, if you have squirrels or raccoons or cats or anything like that which might have pooped in your yard... that's what you want to watch out for. If you just take him out and stick right with him and make sure he doesn't pick anything up in his mouth... you'll be fine. Don't let the fact that he hasn't had shots scare you off from properly potty training him outside starting right now. It would send very mixed messages to him to train him to pee and poop in one place now and then completely change it to another place after he has had his shots.

Mainly, you want to avoid letting him just wander around outside on his own unsupervised where he is free to sniff everything and put free to put the interesting smelling stuff in his mouth. But a highly supervised visit outside, where you are watching him closely and stopping him from getting in to the poop of other animals that have been in your yard... that will be no problem.

Also, just so you now... here where I live, it wouldn't even be legal for his breeder to let him go younger than EIGHT weeks! Five weeks is crazy. Bad breeder.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Congrats on your new baby! Years ago I also got a 5 week old puppy(before I knew better, but it was love at first sight), half Irish Setter and half Golden Retriever. It was middle of the summer when I got him so luckily I could train him outside in my yard. It seemed to take forever to train him because he was so young, but in reality he was 100% trained (barking at the back door) at age 3 months and 1 week. His bladder was so tiny he had to piddle every half hour for the first month. We went outside every half hour while I was home, and luckily my roommate at the time worked nights so he was not alone at all. And cockers are alot smaller than this dog (he was only 5 lbs when I got him). Just keep taking him out and rewarding when he goes, which should be every time. As Jim said, always supervise him outside, he is too small to be out unsupervised anyway. Would love to see pics of your baby!

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:33 am 
Active Forum Member

because he wanted to give them to the shelter and I rescued him. Now I'm my whole life routine has changed of course. I have crate trained him so this is how it goes. He wakes up at 7:30 crying so I immediately take him out to pee on a pad (he had fleas when he first came and I'm scared he might get anything when he goes outside especially that all flea and tick treatments are for 8 weeks and above). He pees and poops, have his breakfast and pee again and play for 10 min and then I crate him again before I got to work. My husband is always home so he takes him out of the crate again at 12 pm to pee and play and then go back in. He eats another meal at 2, pees and poops and the. Go back to the crate and when I come home by 6 I prepare dinner and he eats and plays till 7, pees and spend time with me on the coach and then I take him to the crate again. Sometimes he cries by 11 pm so I take him to pee and sometimes he doesn't. Of course he doesn't go to the pad all by himself all the time and there are times that he just does it anywhere. I always praise him when he does it on the pad and give him a treat (I feel he doesn't think its a treats, he thinks it's just food like what he normally eats)

Any advice if I'm doing anything wrong? What else do I need to integrate in his daily routine?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:22 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Many of us on the forum use Quadruped shampoo and conditioner on our cockers, it is yucca based, smells and cleans great, but is very effective killing fleas. I found this puppy shampoo on their website:

http://quadrupedpetcare.com/wp/products?pid=12

You may want to call them to see if you could use it on a 5-6 week old puppy. I use the All in One which also says it is safe for puppies. I have spoken with customer service there and they are very helpful.

http://quadrupedpetcare.com/wp/products?pid=8

Thank you for rescuing him. Although you have alot more work ahead of you, the rewards far outweigh it.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:42 pm 
Active Forum Member

Help!!!!
We went to the vet today, got all our examinations and cooper is good. The vet told me to potty train him outside starting right now and he gave me a flea single shot to use on him.

Now when i take him he cried so loudly as if it's torture and he shivers. He peed twice and pooped once but I'm not sure how to deal with it. He cries so much that it drains him and as soon as he is inside he sleeps. I gave him a treat as soon as we went out which calmed him down a little. I'm afraid he might take going out as a punishment. Any help?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:48 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I think your vet is telling you to get him used to pottying outside, rather than confusing him by allowing him to potty inside now and then having to retrain him to outdoors later.

You are in So. California so it isn't snowing or freezing weather at your home.
I would take Cooper outside to potty, and praise & treat him outside when he takes care of business. I wouldn't keep him outside for long; just lots of short potty breaks.

And remember, Cooper is a baby, so he is going to make lots of mistakes before he really gets housebreaking down perfectly, but he will learn! It just takes time and patience.

Good Luck!

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:33 pm 
Forum Legend

grass is probably new too him. It scares him, but he'll soon love it. Pups need to potty more often than 3 or 4 hours. Are you keeping him in his crate most of the time? He needs exercise and to be with his human too

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:34 pm 
Forum Legend

debbiefive wrote:
grass is probably new too him. It scares him, but he'll soon love it. Pups need to potty more often than 3 or 4 hours. Are you keeping him in his crate most of the time? He needs exercise and to be with his human too

I agree that he seems to be spending a lot of time in his crate. How about on someone's lap to nap during the day (if someone is sitting at a desk or computer)? Or a little more play time. He probably feels so insecure about being outside because it's so BIG and his world has been pretty small and controlled right now between the crate and a little in-home play time. Also remember to gradually expose him to sounds like the vacuum, washing machine, even water from the tap so he doesn't become fearful of new things. We'd love to see a picture - he sounds adorable!

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:11 am 
Active Forum Member

So guys I have been doing all the advice that u guys gave and we have been progressing together. I also got him this playing pen for when I'm out all day like thanksgiving day. I put his crate as an extension to it, pads, food and water, he adjusted to it pretty fast but I didn't leave him in it except for two days, other than that he sleeps in his crate in our guest room.
Now, he kinda knows his name, knows where to pee and poop (outside with some accidents inside), go peepee command and come here command.

I have a few questions now,

He bites a lot, and by a lot I mean A LOT, when he does it I say no and then give him one of his toys to bite on, but he still just does it constantly.

Also, my back yard is still growing, so it bugs him that there are some empty space, so he starts pulling the grass out from its roots, I say no and he walks away and the next minute he does it again. If I take him to the front yard, he loves it but then he eats the grass, he doesn't pull it or do anything he just eats it.

Finally, I'm going to New York in the weekend and my cousin is going to take him for 3 days, she has a big dog which has all its shots and everything but as a precaution she is just going to separate them and have him in his playing pen when she's not home and take him to the back yard once or twice a day. What I'm worried about is that he forgets me, my house and all the training I have been doing with him, any suggestions on what to do?

Ur help is highly appreciated. I'm trying to upload a picture but its not going through, I'll do my best to upload one the soonest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:11 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

That's the problem with these bad people who sell the puppies so young, they don't learn stuff like bite inhibition from their littermates. You will have to teach him that humans have very tender skin and teeth aren't allowed. Try squeaking loudly like a puppy would if hurt, then walk away and end the game if he bites, he has to learn that biting means the fun stops. If your cousin can follow your routine as closely as possible that will work the best. He won't forget you. :sml

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:38 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

LucyD wrote:
That's the problem with these bad people who sell the puppies so young, they don't learn stuff like bite inhibition from their littermates. You will have to teach him that humans have very tender skin and teeth aren't allowed. Try squeaking loudly like a puppy would if hurt, then walk away and end the game if he bites, he has to learn that biting means the fun stops. If your cousin can follow your routine as closely as possible that will work the best. He won't forget you. :sml

My thoughts exactly.

Also, have no idea how a friend could handle this whole situation while you are away. :dk

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:14 am 
Active Forum Member

I would avoid the front yard until all his shots are completed. If your back yard is fenced, you can be pretty sure that no strange dogs have been peeing, etc in there. Usually the front yard is less secure.

You mentioned that your cousin will take him to the back yard once or twice a day. So he will be doing is business inside most of the time that he is with her? If so, don't be surprised if there is a setback when you get him home again. Just start fresh and be consistent and he should get back on track pretty quickly.

I would be more concerned that he will be confused and afraid if he is left alone more than he is at your house. If your cousin is able to mirror your usual schedule in terms of play time and attention, it will help. Also, bring along his favorite toys and something that smells of home. I usually take an old towel with us when Jennie and I go someplace new. She knows that is her 'bed' anywhere she finds it and usually curls right up on it. Of course, she's older than Cooper now, but I started doing that from the beginning and it has helped her to be comfortable anywhere we go.

There are some good articles on puppy issues on the ASPCA website if you feel like you need more information. I found the one on bite inhibition really helpful. Just remember that Cocker's are sensitive little souls and don't take harsh correction well.

Good luck and keep us posted. We're pulling for you

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers