The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Let puppy sleep in room with you?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:47 am 
Active Forum Member

We are going get our 7 week old girl today, and I'm having a little anxiety about our first night! I am hearing mixed feelings on whether to let her sleep in her crate in our bedroom, or in the crate at another part of the house. I know more than likely she is going to cry and whimper, but will having her in our room help with this? Also I don't want our bedroom to be her "designated spot". I just want to make these first few nights as stress free for her as I can! Thank you!

Alaina

Post subject: Re: Let puppy sleep in room with you?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:14 am 
Active Forum Member

7 weeks is really young to leave her mom so I would definitely keep her in your room. You'll have a better chance of avoiding future anxiety issues if she has a good start with you.

I started Jennie off in a small 'travel' crate on my bedside table. She could see and hear me, and I could see and hear her. The first several weeks she needed to go out during the night and it was much easier to pick her up out of that crate. I borrowed it from my brother, who uses it for for his cat when he needs to go in the car.

Once she outgrew it, I transitioned her to a full-size crate with a puppy panel. I keep the size of her area just big enough for her to sleep stretched out. It is in my room at night and in the main living area during the day. It can be a bit of a hassle moving it every day, as it is fairly heavy, but I just slip 'supersliders' under it and haul away. She has even jumped in when she sees me getting ready to move it for a ride. :sm I keep the door open most of the time and she uses it for naps.

She has never had an accident in the crate and has been sleeping through the night since about 12 weeks. She is 17 weeks now.

Good luck with your new baby... we'll be excited to see some cute puppy pics!

Susan

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:24 am 
Active Forum Member

Ok thanks Susan!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:42 pm 
Forum Legend

I agree with Susan. Your puppy is going to have to go outside during the night for a little while and it will be much easier for you if you can hear her whimper. Her crate should be small at this point - only big enough for her to stand up, turn around and lie down to encourage her to alert you when she has to potty. There's a housetraining section here on the forum (search for it using the search button above) that will help you a lot. She's very young, so don't expect that she picks up on housetraining for a little while.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:55 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I know this is late and probably not relevant anymore for the OP, but I just wanted to add that I always have new puppies (and adult dogs) crated in my bedroom. I have so far never had a problem with settling them through the night, it is the least stressful way for both the dog and for the owner. If you then want them sleeping somewhere different, you can gradually move them to where you want them at a later stage when they are familiar and settle in the new home. (Though my dogs are allowed to sleep anywhere in the house, so that isn't applicable to me).

Mum to Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel), Skye (English Cocker Spaniel) and Blake (Saluki Lurcher). RIP Troy and Dylan!