Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: First Puppy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Everyone,
I am so glad I found this site! We just brought home our first puppy - his name is Buster and he 15 weeks old. He came to us with Kennel Cough and a parasite but seems fine and is currently on antibiotics. We are crate training and he does great at night no crying and pretty good during the day, he might wimper for a few minutes but then is great. This week will be a test bc we all go back to work, I will be coming home for lunch to let him out etc...
Couple of Questions:
1. I know he is a puppy but this guy is relentless with nipping at my toes, pants, legs, hands and arms. He does do it to my husband and daughter but more excessively towards me. I do stop playing with him and he will still go after me, I tell him no in a stern voice and give him his chew toys. Is there anything else I should be doing to get this under control. I do plan on enrolling him in training class when he is healthy enough.

Thanks for Everything!

Post subject: Re: First Puppy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:37 am 
Forum Legend

It's kind of a funny trick, but I was told to yelp really loudly when my Oliver would nip at my legs. He LOVED to chase my feet and bite them for a few weeks, but I'd yelp loud and then walk away...and he got the message. The yelping is supposed to simulate the response of a fellow littermate I believe. :gig Silly, but it worked!

Best of luck with your new addition!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:03 am 
Forum Legend

Hi! Welcome to the forum! You can also give him something cold/icy to chew on to help soothe those little gums while he's teething. I've used a frozen washcloth in the past, but you need several because once they thaw he can get his tooth caught in the loops. A frozen Kong (with or without kibble frozen inside) might keep him occupied and help his gums at the same time.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:30 am 
Active Forum Member

How is it going with the nipping? I had an issue with my mom's little dog... not biting but licking my toes whenever I wore sandals. I sprayed my toes with Grannick's Bitter Apple a couple of times and that did the trick. :bg

I have a friend who keeps a bottle by her front door and has had people spray their hands when her Papillion gets mouthy with them.

Hope all is going well! Will there be some cute puppy pictures in the future?

Susan

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:12 am 
Active Forum Member

Buster is actually doing much better!! We have been ignoring him and I taught the kids to just stop moving. He quickly learned we were boring and went to find a toy. I also noticed that sometimes when he was nipping at me he would have an accident in the house right after, so if he does it to me I take him out right away. We fall in love with him more everyday!!! :love

Attachment:
buster2.jpg
buster2.jpg [ 8.42 KiB | Viewed 2894 times ]

Attachment:
buster3.jpg
buster3.jpg [ 8.36 KiB | Viewed 2894 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:09 am 
Active Forum Member

Buster is a little doll! Great ideas on how to handle the nipping. Sounds like you have a little smartie on your hands!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:59 am 
Forum Member

Hi there! I am working on attaching a photo of our new English Cocker puppy. Leo is 14 weeks old now. My name is Tara and Leo joined our family with three human kids (ages 10 yo, 8 yo, and 4 yo). I read this thread with great interest because Leo is WONDERFUL and much loved but the nipping, mouthing has been a challenge. I've been working really hard with him and at least he isn't breaking the skin anymore. He has lots of chew toys (with great variation), tons of attention, exercise, play time. He just gets excited and gets very mouthy and when I correct with a firm gruff no, he will get more aggressive and really lunge and frankly nip/bite on purpose. His personality and temperament is playful, warm and loving. People stop me and fall in love when we are out and about. Meanwhile at home (much like my human children) he acts up with the nipping. My kids love him and want to play but currently they are all on top of the chairs and the couch when he comes out to play. Thanks for the tips on this thread and I"m working on it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Here's how to post a picture:

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... ?f=14&t=14

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl