An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Excited/Submission Urination
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

We have had our Cooper for two months now. He's our first cocker spaniel. He's six months old. We got him a rescue, and he was abused and mistreated before we got him. He has a wonderful nature, and is so sweet, loving, and just wants to be with us all the time. We were doing great with house breaking, but now we've regressed some, which is probably more our fault for getting too comfortable with how well he was doing. However, our main issue is with excited/submissive urination. I am hoping the issue will get better, and some days he does great....that is as long as we don't have any company over! He even peed on my husband's head the other day when they were playing the floor. Even if I take him out prior to visitors coming, he will still tinkle all over the place. I also warn guests not to touch or talk to him when they come in. He still pees even if they comply! I have just ordered a couple of belly bands to try, but I am worried they won't stay on due his frequent army crawls across the carpet! He will even tinkle on us if we talk to him while we pet him. We do not get on to him for this, because we know he can't help it, and I have read that it can make the problem worse. It is also hard to correct him for other things, sometimes eye contact and a firm no will make him go. He is getting neutered in a couple weeks, so that may help? Does anyone have any insight, further advice, or encouragement that this issue may get better? :dk

Attachments:
cooper2.jpg
cooper2.jpg [ 254.49 KiB | Viewed 2344 times ]

Post subject: Re: Excited/Submission Urination
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:59 pm 
Forum Legend

No real advice other than they usually grow out of it. My mini Doxie would pee when he was excited. I think it took him to close to 3 yrs old. Your little guy is a cutie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:46 am 
Forum Legend

Cooper is SO cute! Hopefully that makes it easier not to freak out when he goes pee :lol2

Okay, let's get to the bad news first: some dogs never outgrow this problem. As Debbie pointed out, a lot of them get better with age, so you do have hope. He still has a weak puppy bladder that will likely get stronger.

I have a little buff guy named Oliver, who turned 3 in May...and for the first year of his life, this was something we dealt with constantly. He would pee for anything and everything that got him excited. He has peed on neighborhood kids, international visitors, mattresses, sofas, rugs, floors...you name it! It's embarrassing and beyond frustrating. For a long time, he would pee every time my roommate came home from work, so I always had a mop sitting there ready to clean up. :roll

Anyway, he's a LOT better now, so don't give up. I know Oliver has a penchant for tinkling, so if we're expecting visitors, we greet them outside where he can pee to his heart's delight. And my roommate now greets Oliver exclusively in the bathtub :tg Whenever he walks in the door, Oliver makes a beeline for the bathroom, because he knows that's where he gets his love. Sometimes he pees, sometimes he doesn't—but I'd rather be safe than sorry! After the initial ten seconds of contact, he's good to go, and we know he won't pee anymore. Weirdly enough, he never pees when I greet him—maybe because he sees me as the master and so, I'm less exciting? :hi

It's annoying, but we've found a system that works. :joy

Also, for the record, I've noticed quite a correlation between Oliver's exercise routine and his peeing. If he's been cooped up inside all day, with no love or attention, he will DEFINITELY pee if we're not careful. If he's had a nice walk and some play time, he's just fine.

Best of luck and continued patience to you as you deal with this problem!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:17 pm 
Active Forum Member

Well, thank you for your kind words of encouragement Debbie and Adam. Your Oliver is a cutie too! One day Cooper was outside, and one of our friends came for a visit with her new boyfriend, and Cooper literally soaked his feet outside. It was actually pretty funny once I got over the initial embarrassment, considering that my apologizing (and trying to explain) over my dog peeing on him was the first communication I'd ever had with him! I too, have noticed that when Cooper gets more attention and exercise for the day, he does better. Overall, once he grows out of this phase ( I am praying that he will grow out of it!) I know he's going to be one the best dogs we've ever had. I tell myself that every time I am cleaning up his pee!! :lol3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

I'm dealing with the same issue with Jennie. Even if I walk her before hand, every time she meets a new person (and sometimes when she meets a person that she has met before but liked) it's pee city. I start by warning everyone that meets her outside that "she will piddle, so watch your shoes" and if she meet someone inside, I usually ask them to pet her really low so she won't stand on her back feet. That helps to keep the pee further away from them. It's funny... most of the time it's just a little tinkle, but sometimes the whole bladder seems to get emptied. Today I had her in my arms to put her in the car after 'puppy class' when the person parked next to me came over to meet her. Guess who ended up with Jennie pee all down her side? Yep... that would be me. Like you, I'm hoping (okay, praying) that she outgrows this. I haven't noticed her peeing being different when well exercised or rested, but I'll pay attention to that going forward.

Your Cooper looks alot like my Jennie, except she has white markings. He's a very handsome fellow. Does he do submissive peeing too? Jennie has one done it once, when she met two Lab puppies that were a month older than her. Today she meet a younger German Shepherd puppy (9 weeks to her 16) and he was more afraid of her than the other way around... no submissive peeing from her.

I'll send positive thoughts your way. Maybe when they've met lots of great people they will become blase about it and not feel the need to pee anymore?

I've found that most people are very understanding that is she just a puppy and doesn't mean any harm. And by warning them ahead of time, the only person being inconvenienced is usually me since I'm the one doing the cleaning up while they play with my now-pee-free puppy.

Enjoy your beautiful boy... he's a treasure!

Susan

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:20 pm 
Active Forum Member

Susan, your jenny is a doll! Cooper does submissive peeing too. In fact almost everytime he got in trouble he was doing it. Although I have learned to prevent it when he starts to roll on his side I know it's coming. But it's difficult because he needs to learn not to do some things such as chewing shoes, shredding my toliet paper, getting to the trash can, etc. Its a huge challenge. Another thing is when we take him out to potty we need to leash him because he gets in the cow pasture next door often if we don't. 9 times out of 10 he pees all on the floor when we put his leash on. Sometimes he pees at the door just from being excited without us even touching or speaking to him. I will let you know how the belly bands do when they get here! I always tell him he better be glad he's so adorable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:11 am 
Forum Legend

Zoey used to do the excited pee too. She is much improved now at five but still I make sure she is "empty" before we have company. If getting the leash on is a problem how about a slip type leash for now just to get out the door for potty trips. Hopefully you can just slip quick before he pees.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs