An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 10 week old puppy growling and biting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:45 am 
Active Forum Member

My 10 week old puppy is wonderful in every way except when being picked up from something she shouldn't be doing. She will growl and really bite and get mad. I have taught her "leave it" for toe nipping and she does that fine. There are times she is fine being picked up and sometimes not. It's the going for the bite at other times! She can't go up steps yet so there are times she has to be picked up but as I say there are times she is fine!

Post subject: Re: 10 week old puppy growling and biting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:31 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I have on occasion picked the puppy up by the scruff of the neck and given them a shake to let them know that the behavior is unacceptable. :th-up

This is the way a Mama dog would discipline a puppy, and they aren't exactly as gentle as I am. :roll

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:06 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi
Thanks for your suggestion....I would not do that punishment but have decided to teach "leave it" and apply it to things other than feet! I think rewarding her for "leave it" and redirecting her behavior and picking her up less might help.

Woofs,
Suzanne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:29 am 
Forum Legend

Leave it is a good command for what it is taught for. For the bad behavior I like Juanita's suggestion, for a small pup. I'd so do that on a small pup who was growling and biting outside of play. The pup needs to learn the behavior is unacceptable. The leave it command is not teaching them not to bite or growl, the bad behavior. Not sure what picking her up less will accomplish :dk. It sounds more like the pup taught you the " leave it" or leave me alone command if you take that route.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:17 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi
"Leave it" is working well for biting toes, pants etc (normal puppy behavior). She was biting and growling if when biting toes was picked up...so now "leave it" is working. I couldn't understand why she was displaying that behavior when she was being picked up for other things as I say it was random. Since this post I have been realizing it is when she is engrossed in something she is enjoying so I am teaching "drop it" and rewarding with something more exciting than she was playing with....also, teaching "drop it" with a toy and throwing it back so she will build a trust...better than picking her up! I feel that she was being picked up too much by other members of the family so we are working on that.

Realizing now she needed to be trained out of the behavior....I feel you can never duplicate the mother dog's discipline and would not shake a puppy...cockers are sensitive and make for more aggression or fearfulness.
I appreciate all suggestions however.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:15 pm 
Forum Legend

Hopefully what you are doing works for those times she has to be picked up or is picked up by someone who doesn't know her well.