An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Jumping/getting into things/kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:30 pm 
Active Forum Member

My cocker has a bad habit into getting into things. She likes to reach and put her front paws on the nightstand, trash can, hamper, etc. She likes to see what she can find to get into, especially on the nightstand. I have caught her plenty of times trying to extend her neck to grab papers off my husband's nightstand.

How do I correct this behavior?

We also have baskets that are placed low under a wall tree. She likes to stick her head into one particular basket that I collect my brother-in-law's mail, and eat on it. I also don't like my dogs in the kitchen looking for scraps. I tell them out of the kitchen; they know the boundaries, but keep coming into the kitchen.

Any advice?

Post subject: Re: Jumping/getting into things/kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:19 pm 
Forum Legend

no advice...sounds all pretty normal. :gig My girls are pretty good about not getting into things, but sometimes the temptation is just too great. If I was going to give advice I'd say be sure there is nothing in reach that can hurt him or her, but I'm sure you already do that. If your cocker is young, maybe they will grow out of it :dk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:22 am 
Active Forum Member

Is almost 2 still young?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:30 am 
Forum Legend

2 is still young. Sounds like he is just curios and mischievous. Keep things out of reach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:40 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

We still keep all paper items out of the dogs reach, and our dogs are between 19 mos and 12 years old! We have learned that if we don't, sometimes one of them gets silly, and decides to tear up the paper item. And then they all join the free for all fun!
Seems like they think if any paper item somehow lands on the floor, it becomes their play toy. :goof

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:13 pm 
Forum Legend

No solution for you just lots of sympathy! With my previous Cocker we learned to put our chairs in, keep all paper out of reach and turn the garbage can around so the lid opened backwards.... she figured out how to open it and help herself. :bang Even with our chairs pushed all the way in she managed to get a cake I had cooling in the middle of the table! :dk I still can't figure out how she managed that! LOL She lived to 15 1/2 and never out grew her quest for mischief.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 1
MACH Points -71
MX Q's - 2
MJX Q's - 2
(edited 12/16)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:47 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

debbiefive wrote:
no advice...sounds all pretty normal. :gig My girls are pretty good about not getting into things, but sometimes the temptation is just too great. If I was going to give advice I'd say be sure there is nothing in reach that can hurt him or her, but I'm sure you already do that. If your cocker is young, maybe they will grow out of it :dk

Exactly what I've done with the current puppy and those in the past. :th-up

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:27 pm 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

My garbage cans are in cupboards with doors, important papers are placed out of reach and some rooms have the door closed. My dogs have free reign of the main area of the house but are not allowed in the bedrooms (carpeted) or the bathroom. They want to be where I am anyhow, so this hasn't been an issue.

If your dogs are going into the kitchen, then they don't full understand the boundaries. Dogs are very situational and don't generalize well - so if they know to stay out of the kitchen when you're IN it, that won't translate to them staying out when you're not in it. You have to do a lot of training while changing up a lot of variables in order for the dogs to truly know something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:49 pm 
Forum Legend

KLADCkrs wrote:
Dogs are very situational and don't generalize well ... You have to do a lot of training while changing up a lot of variables in order for the dogs to truly know something.

LOL! Yes, "NO trash" means Not when I'm cooking, Not when I'm washing dishes, Not when the grands are here, Not when it's dark, Not when the sunlight is shining through the big window, Not after your morning nap... it's ALL "NO trash." Goofy cocker kids!! But we love 'em anyway!

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:58 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi,

I think it's a "cocker thing". :happy Our two poodles were pretty active in this way when they were puppies but grew out of it by the time they were 2. Our 8 year old cocker is still a trash can crasher! Likewise, we have had to place trash cans in cupboards, etc. Our puppies are allowed free reign in family room, kitchen and basement. We have "baby gates" to keep them out of living room/dining room area. Poodles can jump gates without difficulty but have been trained not to. I have to confess, the gates are primarily in place to keep the two cockers at bay. :wnk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:27 pm 
Forum Legend

KLADCkrs wrote:
If your dogs are going into the kitchen, then they don't full understand the boundaries. Dogs are very situational and don't generalize well - so if they know to stay out of the kitchen when you're IN it, that won't translate to them staying out when you're not in it. You have to do a lot of training while changing up a lot of variables in order for the dogs to truly know something.

I feel like a total dork, but I have never considered training Oliver to stay OUT OF THE KITCHEN...my kitchen is long and narrow (welcome to NYC), and he constantly follows me around in there, making me trip incessantly. :bang How have I never thought to train him not to come in there?! New challenge!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:45 pm 
Forum Legend

This video series offers some good ideas! The 2nd video has more "meat" to it. The first is more of an intro.

http://www.brilliantrecalls.com/fe/6843 ... -recallers