An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Training to potty outside
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:16 pm 
Forum Legend

My new foster 6 month old foster pup, CC, was trained by her former owner to pee and poop on a puppy pad. The owner did not have a dog door and never went to the next stage of housebreaking, taking the dog outside. As a result, CC seems to have no idea that she is supposed to potty outside. She runs in and out of my dog door to play. Yesterday we spent an hour outside waiting for her to pee; she played with a toy, ran around and then peed when we went inside. I did not engage her when we were outside. She doesn't even pee or poop when we go on a walk!

How do I get her to understand she needs to go potty when she goes out? We tried to put a puppy pad outside on the grass and on the patio but she still ran inside and used the one of the floor. :tg

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Training to potty outside
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:23 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I would:
- put a 'gently used' pee pad outside on the grass for her to smell
- tell her 'potty outside' when she is outside to potty
- close the doggy door so she can't run back inside to do her potty business
- immediately crate her when she comes in if no outside potty, and then after 5-10 mnutes, carry her outside to the grass and start telling her 'potty outside'
- reward and praise her like crazy (make your neighbors wonder what is going on in your yard!) when she does her potty in the yard.
- keep smiling and repeat all above as needed, lol!

With Echo, it took a bit of perseverance, but she finally got the message. :Clap

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:31 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you Marianne! I knew I could count on my Forum friends for a solution!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 pm 
Forum Legend

What Marianne said. :th-up

As she enters her "adolescent" stage- in a month or so- she'll likely be a bit easier to train; that's when they test everything anyway! :goof

Naomi, are you on summer break yet? This will be easier when you're home more, with more flexible time, too. Good luck!

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

Crate training works best. Its like starting over.
Crate them at night and first thing in the morning take them outside to go potty. If they don't go put them back in the crate. Wait a little while and take her back out. She will catch on that if she wants out to run and play she first has to go potty where she is suppose to. Then you set up a rountine to take her out several times a day to potty. When she potties praise her and reward her. Then you can work on getting her to signal to you when she has to go out.

I'm working with Annabelle on this. She was very small when I got her so I pad trained her. Now we are transitioning to outdoor training only. She is doing great, the only thing we need to work on is her telling me or giving me a sign that she needs to go out. I've been thinking about getting the potty bells but with her being a puppy I can see Annie ringing them all the time because it would just be a fun game for her, lol. Eventually though she will give me a sign that she wants to go out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

With my cocker, I had to teach her that when we went outside it was business, otherwise, she would just go outside to play. Take them out on a leash, and use your word, whether it is "potty" or "go pee." Stay out there for a little bit with them. If they don't go potty, put them in their crate for a little bit. Then, try the outside process again. By the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time, they should get the idea. I wouldn't let my cocker just go outside by herself to potty. I would take her outside myself to make sure she went potty. Then, when she got older, I would let her go outside by herself and watch from the window. She gets easily distracted, so it's important that they take care of their business when they are outside.

We also incorporated ringing the bell to let us know when they have to potty. I have an English bulldog also. She caught on quick. I have a little bell attached to some yarn that hangs from the backyard door from the inside. When they have to potty, they hit the bell with their nose and sit by the back door. I was trying to teach them to hit it with their paw, but they decided to do it with their nose.

If you want to try that, set the bell up and keep your cocker on the leash. Take them to the backdoor and teach them to hit the bell while you say the "potty" word. Then continue outside. You also have to be careful with the bell. Sometimes my cocker likes to hit it for the attention.