All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Housetraining Your Dog
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:13 pm 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Housetraining Your Dog

The major key to housetraining your dog is consistency. You have to remember that he has no idea that he should potty outside. From the time he was born, he hasn’t had to worrying about controlling his bowel or bladder, he could potty anywhere at any time. Of course, this isn’t how most people choose to live with dogs, so some training is required. Puppies, just like young children, thrive on schedules and consistency. So make sure that even before you bring your puppy home, you consider what kind of potty schedule you will want him to follow. A typical potty-training schedule goes something like this:

• Wake up, take puppy outside immediately (before using the washroom yourself). I often carry the puppy outside to avoid any accidents along the way.
• Feed puppy, take puppy outside again
• Crate puppy while you shower and get ready for the day
• Take puppy outside - if puppy potties outside (both #1 and #2), bring him inside and play with him for 15-20 minutes. If not, put puppy back in crate for 15-20 minutes, and then take him outside.
• Crate puppy and spend time around the house, doing chores or running errands – keep in mind that puppies can only be expected to hold their bladder for the length of time equal to their age in months plus one. So a 3 month old puppy should only be asked to stay clean in its crate for up to 4 hours. This is a guideline only, it varies per individual puppy.
• Take puppy outside, as per the fourth bullet point

As a rule of thumb, puppies need to use the bathroom right after waking up from a sleep, after eating and after playing. During the times that your puppy is in the house with you (play time), ensure that your puppy is supervised at all times. This means either having the dog blocked into the same room as you, or tethering the dog to your waist using a 6 foot leash. Although this can be awkward, it’s the only way to ensure that your puppy isn’t going off to another room of the house to potty. Another important point is the size of the crate. Some people want to buy their puppies the biggest crate they can find, to ensure that the dog is comfortable. Unless the puppy is having secret parties in his crate, he is just going to chew a toy or sleep. So a crate that is large enough for your puppy to stand up, turn around and lay down in is sufficient. If the crate is too large, some puppies will potty at one end of the crate and then sleep in the other end of it.

If you absolutely refuse to use a crate to housetrain your dog, it will make the job much more difficult, especially if you work outside the home. If you must use an alternative method, choose a small room in the house that you can use baby gates to block your dog into (such as a laundry room or a bathroom). It’s preferable to choose a room that has easy to clean flooring, in case of accidents. Place a bed in the room, as well as one or two safe chew toys (nothing that can be chewed up and ingested), and a small bowl of water. Most puppies are likely to keep their sleeping area clean, as long as the space isn’t too large and that the puppy isn’t left alone for too long.

When your puppy does potty outside, praise him like he is the smartest dog you have ever seen. Make a huge deal, and have a puppy party in the backyard. Give him a high-value treat, like a piece of hot dog, or something else that is easy to eat. It is important to go outside with your puppy, so that you know when he is pottying outside versus when he is just playing outside. It is also important that you praise and give him the treat as soon as he does his business. Don’t wait until he comes back inside the house, otherwise he will think he’s being rewarded for coming inside. If you simply put your puppy outside without accompanying him, then you will never know for sure that your dog has done his business. He may just be going outside to play, and then he may forget to potty. It sounds odd, but this can happen, especially with a very active puppy that has a short attention span (which is almost every puppy in the world).

Many people teach their dogs to potty on command. This is not hard to do. Choose a word, such as “go potty” or “do your business” that isn’t too embarrassing to say in your backyard. Then, watch your puppy, and when he starts to potty, say the word and then praise like crazy. If you do this consistently, the dog will learn to potty on command. This can be very helpful when you are traveling with your dog, and only have short breaks in which your dog can potty. It can also be helpful to have your dog potty on a variety of surfaces while he is young enough to not have formed opinions about where he should go to the bathroom. Otherwise you may end up with a dog that refuses to potty on anything but grass, and if you’re in a paved parking lot, that just won’t work.

If you do happen to catch your dog eliminating in the house, do NOT yell at the dog or hit the dog. Accidents are not the puppy’s fault. We are the ones responsible for training the dog, and if an accident occurs, it means we weren’t paying close enough attention. If you do catch the puppy, speak sharply to get the puppy’s attention. Pick him up and take him outside quickly. Use the cue word for pottying, and then praise the world if he does finish his business outside. Give him about 10-15 minutes to finish off. If he doesn’t do anything, bring him inside and place him in his crate for 20 minutes or so, and then try taking him outside again. If you do start yelling at or hitting your dog when you catch him pottying in the house, he will become afraid to potty in front of you. Then he will simply search for places to hide from you while he potties, either inside or outside. It’s much better to prevent accidents through diligence and attention.

Post subject: Re: Housetraining Your Dog
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:27 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

A huge hug and a big Thank You, Kelly, for posting this advice. :Clap

I refer to it all the time when new owners ask about potty/crate training. :th-up

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:22 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thanks Kelly for posting this, because I will need to refer back to it when I bring Perri home!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:39 am 
Active Forum Member

The time interval you mentioned is really somewhat accurate. My dog really does her thing after 4hrs, she is 3 mos old now...Already bookmarked this page...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:25 pm 
Forum Legend

I am not an expert but when I got Holly I used newspapers or pads inside to avoid accidents. At the same time I taught her to sit by the door if she needed to go out. I understand your puppy does not have all the shots. I also live in an apartment which also has a good size cement terrace. When holly needs to go she just sits by the glass doors and out she goes. You might want to put some pads outside so there is a relation between inside and outside. One thing that was very important when I got Holly used to the crate, which she spend all night in was to immediately that I got her out I will take her out to avoid accidents. If I took longer to open the door and kept my eyes off her an accident happened. It took several months for her to get used. I am not sure if you are planning to crate the puppy but I did. I used a trick with her at night. I will tell her "Holly is time to go to bed" and let her out to go pee then she will run to her crate, sit inside waiting and then I gave her a treat and close the door. Let me tell you it has worked for 11 1/2 years. She is no longer crate but she sleeps in her bed and it just takes me saying and she goes. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:52 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks everybody for all of your tips!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

Great thanks for all this advises for house tranning :happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:06 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hello,

We have now Ginger 8 weeks old for 1 week, no problem in the night she sleep in a crate, going to bed around 11, she weks up around 5 or 6 first thing take out to do business no problem, but in the day I have a problem she doesnt want to do her business outside, so we have to watch her all the time cause like today she did 3 times in the house, I follow the rules, soon she is done whit eating I or my partner take her out but she doesnt want to stay, dont know if it is because the heat (we live in Florida and it is very hot outside), I precise that we are both jung in retirement and have planny time to spend whit her,
thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks so much for your help! I really wasn't sure how soon after eating I should take Charlie out, but he really just goes right after! and the four hour idea sounds good :th-up , as soon as the crate comes in I'll try it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:35 pm 
Active Forum Member

This helps! thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

Great Post ! but you left out the paragraph on what to do with the puppies that refuse to go potty when the grass is wet ... or what to do when its raining and has been raining all day and puppy needs to go out ... What does everyone do on days like this ? Colby has no problems going out in any weather when he has to potty but Abby wont go if its raining or has been raining.. sometimes she wont even go potty when its dark out.. just curious if others have this problem ??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:36 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Bell is this way, too - a big umbrella and a quick hunker under the overhang of the garage, which leaves about 12 inches of dry ground next the dogrun.

NC Christopher wrote:
Great Post ! but you left out the paragraph on what to do with the puppies that refuse to go potty when the grass is wet ... or what to do when its raining and has been raining all day and puppy needs to go out ... What does everyone do on days like this ? Colby has no problems going out in any weather when he has to potty but Abby wont go if its raining or has been raining.. sometimes she wont even go potty when its dark out.. just curious if others have this problem ??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:19 am 
Active Forum Member

We have the wet grass problem too, you'd think we were trying to kill Tucker if we set him on wet grass.

We messed up, it seems. He cries if he's left in the crate and is happy if we take him outside. I was hoping he'd be potty trained by the time it's Winter but he has about an accident a day with being watched like a hawk. I obviously can't leave him in the back yard when I have to go when it's freezing out. I'm going to have to try to reintroduce him to the crate. He originally liked it, I'm not sure what his issue is now. I think it's more than we didn't use the crate much after we started letting him sleep in our bed because it was hot in the crate on the floor and he'd pant horribly. Usually there's someone home so it was rare he was in it during the day. Great advice on here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:41 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi everyone~~~pretty new here. :hi

I have 2 senior foster boys, one is a Sanctuary boy, age 14, the other is 8 yrs. old.
Ryan, the 14 yr. old, is deaf, visually impaired, weak back end, major heart murmur, and he is either inconsistant or not going potty outside at all.

I have tried everything---I mean everything !! And, these are not our first cockers.

I take him out, wait maybe 15-- 20 min--he may pee, then comes inside and poops. No carpet is safe. :lol

Just now, I took him out, stayed out there-- 100* outside, he didn't go. We came inside, he went out to the garage and peed on the floor.

I was told to love him, make him comfortable, and that's all. Any ideas ??

Patti

Ryan------1999-2012---Our first foster.
Rowdy----1986-1997---Our 2nd rescue.
Buffy----- 1986-1996---Our 1st rescue.
Pokey-----My sons' childhood Cocker.
Poochie---My childhood Cocker.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:06 pm 
Forum Legend

[quote="Patti B"]Hi everyone~~~pretty new here. :hi

I have 2 senior foster boys, one is a Sanctuary boy, age 14, the other is 8 yrs. old.
Ryan, the 14 yr. old, is deaf, visually impaired, weak back end, major heart murmur, and he is either inconsistant or not going potty outside at all.

I have tried everything---I mean everything !! And, these are not our first cockers.

I take him out, wait maybe 15-- 20 min--he may pee, then comes inside and poops. No carpet is safe. :lol

Just now, I took him out, stayed out there-- 100* outside, he didn't go. We came inside, he went out to the garage and peed on the floor.

I was told to love him, make him comfortable, and that's all. Any ideas ??

Patti:

I don't know if you have any background information on him - but it sounds to me like he was never properly housebroken or may have been kept outside. Get him on a strict schedule of when you take him outside. Have you had him checked for a UTI (always my first thought if they're urinating a lot or inappropriately)? Is he crate trained? If not, I would start at the beginning of crate training and work forward with him. I suggested this in another post recently - maybe it's a texture thing with the grass. Get some old pieces of carpeting and train him to go on them outside. They're easier to clean than inside carpeting and can be pitched when they're too soiled. You can gradually work with him to get him off of the carpeting and onto the grass. That's all I can think of. You might want to post this in either the Training section or Caring for your Cocker section as a NEW topic, since most people don't post too much to the "stickies" at the top of the pages and might miss this.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:42 pm 
Active Forum Member

This great advice... but my wife and I work all day and my pup is left alone in our tile floored kitchen. This complicates things somewhat. During the times we are home we follow a good training routine. Any hits to help with this situation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:22 am 
Forum Member

Love your post! I got my Bailey at 20 weeks from a breeder who shows cockers. He was not potty or crate trained. I have had him for about a month and am really struggling. He has both pooped and peed multiple times in his crate (which he absolutely hates). I have made sure that I have one that is small enough for him, but it doesn't seem to matter. Although he is almost six months old, he needs to pee about every hour and a half to two hours if out of the crate. He sleeps on my bed at night and stays there and doesn't have accidents at night.

I work during the day and have someone come in at 3 hour intervals to take him out and give him exercise. In the morning I take him right out when we get up and he does all his business right away. I feed him, get dressed and we walk for 20 -30 minutes and he poops and pees again. I have tried removing his water bowl during the day, but he still seems to go quite often and as I said he has had accidents in the crate.

The poor boy has had 4 baths in a month. We make a big deal every time he does his business outside with treats and lots of pats. If we catch him going in the house, we tell him "no, outside" and take him out right away. I am stumped. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:53 am 
Active Forum Member

Sometimes puppies who were kept in their crates for long stretches of times when they were too young develop "dirty dog syndrome". This is where their natural instinct to avoid soiling the den is overridden. One suggestion to help with this is to get a small exercise pen. You put the crate with the door open in the pen while you are gone. Then you line the exercise pen floor with pee pads. Bailey should choose to leave the crate and use the pee pads. Once he develops a favorite spot, you can start removing some of the pads. If he has started lifting his leg, you may need pee pads outside the area as well for a while. I got a 3'x3' plastic pen for Jennie that had a door in one side, so I could line up that door with her crate door and she could move from one space to the other. She slept in her crate and played in the pen. I also put a cheepie blue tarp underneath both the crate and pen because she would sometimes play with the pee pads and end up going in between them.

It this works for Bailey, you'll have less mess inside the crate and on him. Then you just need to keep going with positive house training. Lots of praise for doing his business outside. No reaction when he does it inside (unless you catch him in the act) except to remove the evidence.

One other thing is you need to be sure that all smell from prior soiling has been eliminated within his crate. You might need to get an enzymatic cleanser to go over all the hard surfaces. I use "Urine Off" and it seems to work pretty well. There are others that are probably more effective, but I haven't been able to find them over the counter. Any mats, blankets or towels will need to be thoroughly washed. If he can smell any past accidents, it could encourage him to go in that spot again. Avoid using any cleaners with ammonia while you're housetraining, since it smells a lot like urine.

Hopefully, not being closed in his crate as much will help to overcome his hatred of it. If it doesn't you may need to chose between crate training and housetraining, at least for now. I know which one I would choose... :gig

Good luck and keep us posted on how Bailey is doing!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers