The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shore Excursions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:53 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Has anyone given any thought to what shore excursions they want to take?

Acapulco Shore Excursions

Zihuatanejo Shore Excursions

Manzanillo Shore Excursions

Post subject: Re: Shore Excursions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:39 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

yes, Connie and I are discussing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

Jim, have you done any of these excursions that you think we should try? The only one that's jumping out at me is the Picante Sail and Snorkel Tour ( Zihuatanejo ). I want to do the dolphin swim but you need to know how to swim and I'm a non swimmer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:26 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

The Picante sail and snorkel is fantastic. Jeff and I did it together last year when we were on this same cruise. There's a picture I shot from the Picante at http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/CarnivalSpiritCruise.html That was one of the best days of my entire life! I absolutely loved it, and will definitely do it again if there is anyone else I can tag along with.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I went to the link Jim provided, and what a wealth of information about the Carnival Spirit cruise!
Plus lots of beautiful pictures!

Thanks for putting all of this together!
I'll be reading through all the info this weekend.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:26 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

In Acapulco, Connie and I are interested in the Acapulco Beach Break 3.5 hrs $70. I noticed a "limited", so I guess that means the tour can only take X number of guests.

I'll do the Picante, even if Connie is not interested. this one is limited also.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

As far as the "limited" thing goes... if you sign up for the shore excursion in advance of the cruise, or on the first day of the cruise... you will definitely be able to get a spot. And more than likely there will be spots available up until about the day before the excursion.

The Acapulco Beach Break is a lot of fun. That was another one of the shore excursions I did when I was on this very same cruise last year. I took this picture of myself (with arm stretched way out, while holding the camera) while enjoying the 80 degree water of Acapulco Bay on the "Acapulco Beach Break":

The sand was soft, the surf reasonably gentle, and the water was oh-so-warm. It was delightful. And they served a really nice Mexican lunch, too. I think it was unlimited free drinks, too, if I remember correctly. I'm not a big drinker, so that wasn't a big deal to me... but it might be to some. I think I had a couple of margaritas.

Here's the one problem with the Acapulco Beach Break...
The locals know that this particular spot on the beach is full of American tourists. So every old lady selling trinkets... every sleaze ball selling sunglasses... every beggar looking for a handout... spends the afternoon going up and down that beach bugging the tourists. About every ten minutes throughout the afternoon, someone would come up and interrupt with a sales pitch while I was trying to just relax and enjoy the day. It got REALLY annoying after a while. Everything else about the day was great... but that one aspect came close to ruining the whole experience for me. When I finally couldn't take one more vendor or beggar, I would simply go in the water... they don't follow you there. But someone needs to stay behind on the beach to safeguard your stuff while you swim! So, it's really helpful to go as a group and to take turns watching the stuff while others enjoy the water.

I'm thinking that the "Scenic Acapulco & Beach Escape" tour might be a better bet. Because the beach portion of this shore excursion is at a resort hotel, it might not have the problem with the vendors and beggars. Or maybe it will have the same problem... I don't know! It is a much longer shore excursion, and slightly more money. You get a little more of a tour of the city, and the big bonus is that you get to see the famous Acapulco cliff divers at the end of the day. I lean to this particular shore excursion... mostly because I am hoping that the hotel does not allow the vendors and beggars on their part of the beach!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:56 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

I've made a decision about my shore excursions. I decided to book mine in advance. I am booked for:

Acapulco - Scenic Acapulco & Beach Escape (12:30 - 7:30 PM)

Zihuatanejo - Picante Catamaran Sail & Snorkel (1-4 PM)

Manzanillo - Open Air Exploration & Beach (12:00 - 4:30)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:50 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I tried to book online the Acapulco excursion and I couldn't. I didn't know about the no booking within 3 days of sail date! We now have to wait until Thursday. Connie and I are dining at the Steakhouse on Friday, at 7pm and the cost is $30.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Darn, I was going to try and book the Acapulco excursion today as well!
Guess we will have to wait until Thursday as well...

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:56 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

FYI
I checked and was told that the two 'formal' or 'elegant' dinner nights are the second night (Friday) and then again on Tuesday night.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]