The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Help please, Your thoughts on Canon Rebel? ***It's Here!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:08 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I have always enjoyed photography, but as many of you know,I am losing my eye sight (can't see a LED screen so need an optical viewfinder), and am afraid of spending too much money on a new camera that I may not be able to use in a few months. I've been using bridge cameras, two old Fuji 5100s that I love (but are only 4mp), and a Canon Sx10is (that I bought earlier this year and hate). Today I have an opportunity to get a brand new Canon Rebel SLR with the kit lens for $299.00! I was wondering if this is the good deal it seems to be? I know that even new, it's an older model, but I'm not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, only to take good quality pictures mostly of Oliver and my two baby granddaughters. If you will share your thoughts, It will be a big help. Thank you so much.
***I ordered the camera late Friday; This morning (Monday) the doorbell rings and it's a private driver delivering my new camera! The camera store in NJ must have a private service that delivers to the Tri-State area (NY,NJ,CT). It was a great surprise, but I have so much to do today, that I don't know when I'll have a chance to take it out of the box ... or if Chip is going to make me wait until Christmas.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

Last edited by Cindy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Help please, Your thoughts on Canon Rebel? Today's sale
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:02 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

The model is: Canon EOS Rebel T3 DSLR Camera with a 55-85mm lens. Does anyone have this camera ... how do you like it?

Made in the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:17 pm 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

The T3 is a stripped-down version of the Digital Rebel. The full-featured models have a model number ending with "i"... such as the T2i, T3i, and T5i. I used a T2i for quite a while, and then upgraded earlier this year to the T5i.

For me to help you figure out if you'd be happy with the T3, I'd really have to know what you hated about the SX10is.

If you'd like, you can simply email me at jimzim@charter.net and we can have the discussion via email.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:09 pm 
Forum Legend

Cindy,

Jim is the best authority on cameras, so I won't be giving you any suggestions. We have (for several years) had the Canon Rebel XS EOS SLR camera. It does not have a view finder, so we view a potential shot from the eye piece. It is an old Canon camera at this point and was not the top of the line when we purchased it. A gift from Kevin's Dad, so we had our limits.

But, I did want to add that our Canon came with three discs which we have downloaded to our computer. One is for downloading and editing photographs. Another disc is called a ZoomBrowzer EX. The same photos are entered into the ZoomBrowzer EX by me and selected for re-sizing. Makes it very easy for me to post pictures here on our forum. The third disc (EOS Utility) has not been used. I would have to call Canon to find out how to use the features.

So, the camera we have has some features that are very, very useful to me. Good luck with your shopping. I realized that it is later in the evening for you, but if it was me, I would buy the camera and discover the features later. Take back if it was not what I wanted or needed.

Hope that you, Chip, Karyn, Brent, Emily Grace and Master Oliver have had a wonderful holiday. :hp

Dawn :paw

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:54 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Thank You Jim and Dawn. In the old 35mm days I had a couple of Canon cameras that I loved, so I expected to be happy with the Canon sx10.

From day one, the photos never looked like they were totally in focus, and the ones that were always looked a bit soft, not crisp and clear, even taken outside in daylight. With the flash indoors, everything looks washed out -- even with the +/- adjusted down as far as it will go. I blamed my eyes at first, but have since had others use the camera with the same results. The photos are no better than a much cheaper pocket camera, and far inferior to my old Fuji Finepixs. It's a lot of weight to carry around for so-so photos.

I've tried using the auto focus on center and face detect, the servo AF on and off, and the auto focus on continuous and single ... always the same less than great results. Also, the lag time between focus and shoot misses many of those special smiles/expressions that were so easy to capture with a 36mm SLR. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do I have a lemon? I know a lot of forum members have Canons; Am I just expecting too much in quality than these cameras can deliver?

I did as Dawn suggested, I went ahead and ordered the Canon Rebel as it goes back to the "regular sale price" of $449.00 tomorrow (it comes with a 30 day no questions asked return policy) in hopes that I will like it. As I said, I want a camera without a lot of bells and whistles, that I can quickly grab for "snap shots" that will give me some clear, sharp, photos of Oliver, and my baby granddaughters (granddaughter #2 is due any time now).

Made in the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:55 pm 
Forum Legend

ahhh look like im late :(

i use to own a sx20is but due to its limitations i moved on..
IMO any DSLR will work for good imagery. Kit lenses do a nice enough job for you to be happy with it.

Here are some sample images of the camera mentioned
http://www.flickr.com/groups/rebelt3/

here are its highlights
Canon EOS 1100D specification highlights:

12MP CMOS sensor
9-point AF system (up from 7 on the 1000D)
63-area iFCL color-sensitive metering (from EOS 7D)
720p movie recording at 30 or 25fps (H.264 compression)
2.7" LCD, 230,000 dots
ISO 100-6400 (no expansion)
Basic+ creative point-and-shoot mode
Eye-Fi wireless SD card compatible menu options

Hope you made out fine
good luck sorry for not viewing this on time..

To fall in love is easy, even to remain in it is not difficult; Our human loneliness is cause enough. But it is a hard quest worth making to find a comrade through who's steady presence one becomes steadily the person one desires to be.AnnaLouiseStrong

Website Facebook 500px Instagram Pinterest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:45 am 
Forum Legend

Cindy,

Jon and I have owned a Canon 7D, then a Canon T2i for my everyday use, and then bought a 5D Mark III last December to take pictures of Kareem. To prove that I have absolutely no brand loyalty to Canon, I have also bought a Nikon D800 this summer and then a Samsung NX1000 mirrorless in October while keeping the T2i and the 5DIII.

I have tried the T3 at Fry's last year and was not particularly impressed with it (comparing it to my T2i). Jon and I looked at the Flickr gallery of images the T3 and thought that they are not "Cindy quality". We have always loved your photos and believe that it was you, the artist, who made the pictures sing. But with kids and dogs, having to fight with a camera that might not focus is not a pleasant experience. I would think that Jim's camera (the T5i?) or any of the real Rebels would be a better fit for capturing those precious moments.

That said, you have 30 days to try it out. And hey, $299 is a very good deal too.

Lastly, I looked around for cameras in your price range that has optical viewfinder and are known for reasonable autofocus. I was very disappointed that Fuji now only keeps the optical viewfinders in their expensive models. I think the best fit might be a used T2i kit if the T3 does not fit your criteria.

Good luck!

Cherry UDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:33 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Thank you, Isaac and Stella. I didn't have much time to think about this camera purchase -- I wasn't seriously looking when this one day only deal popped up. If there was a pocket camera with an optical viewfinder that took fairly decent pictures, that would be closest to what I'm looking for; a quick grab camera to capture those everyday moments with my dog and grandbabies. It doesn't make sense for me to buy a racehorse to give pony rides. My needs for this camera are simple, so I don't need all of the fancy bells and whistles. If we can get to a point where my eyes are somewhat stable, then I'd love to treat myself to a much better DSLR.

Question ... how is the battery life on these cameras? Along with the amazing price of $299. and free shipping for the camera, they were offering additional Black Friday deals -- rechargeable batteries for $7.00 each (I bought an additional two. will that be enough?) and UV filters, car charger at around 50% off... and a three year (transferable) insurance plan that covers everything including drops and spills and all shipping for repairs for @ $50.00. If the camera can't be repaired in five days or less, they will replace the camera with new or refund the entire purchase price. Although I don't usually purchase extended warranties, I thought this was a good deal for a drag-around camera.

Thanks, for the feedback. I will share my thoughts once the camera arrives and I have a chance to try it out.

Made in the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:24 am 
Forum Legend

Cindy,

The battery life for the Canon is very good. I actually don't have an extra battery for the T2i. Once I forgot to bring the charger to Rose City (thinking about being there for one day), I ended up shooting 4 days of cockers in the show on one charge (after being stranded there due to the snow).

I hope that the T3 will work. If not, how about another Fuji FinePix with 16MP and an optical viewfinder? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATM ... r_asin_lnk

I like the Fuji FinePix because I have very good experience with Mary Howard's. She too has a need for an optical viewfinder.

Oops... editing. Looking at that FinePix in more details. It has an electronic viewfinder, not optical. GRRR. No wonder it did not show up in my BH search last night. :dk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:25 am 
Forum Legend

:wow I am a real novice! Even though I took photography in College. :evil After all these years, my memory is very short and I don't have the patience to learn all again.

Anyway, I just looked on Amazon and found this Canon camera.http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3-Di ... +Rebel+SLR

Our current Canon Rebel SX does not have the video/movie mode and Kevin is always saying that he wished our camera had that feature. Won't be buying it now, but thought that I would pass this "deal" on.

On a side note: I have always said that I wish that I had a camera stapled to my forehead! :gig Always ready to take a great photo. Last weekend (I think) 60 Minutes had a segment on about a camera that was invented to do precisely that. It is strapped to your forehead and you can take shots of what you are doing, where ever you go. :wow Sure wish that I had invented that! UGH!

Hope that everyone had a very happy Holiday! :joy

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:31 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Thanks, Dawn. That's the camera I bought yesterday for $100.00 less than Amazon. When I found the deal on the Canon, I checked Amazon to see if the price would be close. If it was, I would have bought it through the forum link. I'm not sure about a camera glued to my head, but I would like a camera I can carry around and not have to worry about constantly.

Made in the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 am 
Forum Legend

Cindy wrote:
Thanks, Dawn. That's the camera I bought yesterday for $100.00 less than Amazon. When I found the deal on the Canon, I checked Amazon to see if the price would be close. If it was, I would have bought it through the forum link. I'm not sure about a camera glued to my head, but I would like a camera I can carry around and not have to worry about constantly.

Well, Isn't this a coincidence! Now I can wait for your report and to beat the Amazon price by that much was an extra bonus.

I sure hope that you will love it. This camera would be a good contribution for us as well. The Rebel SX is big and heavy. Not good for carrying around in my pocket.

I noticed that you mentioned that you want a really "snap ready" camera. Our Rebel will take about three pictures in one second. However, it does have to focus first. It does work very fast in some modes. It has to be set for the repeat feature to work. Guess you already know this though! :wk

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:43 pm 
Forum Legend

Cindy,

I just came back from Fry's. I went to play with the Canon T3, Nikon 3200 and Nikon 5200. I think the T3 is better than I remember it to be. It focuses pretty fast and I was snapping pictures of the people walking there using Auto mode. While it won't look very good when I blow it up (due to high ISO needed for the indoor), the pictures look very ok. The Nikon 5200 was ok also and produces similar quality as the T3, but I think it is a bit pricier. The Nikon 3200, however, focuses very slowly and is definitely a no-no.

And I am pretty sure I can get the T3 to produce better images if I tweak things around in M or Av mode.

I think the key thing is to get a new usable camera into your hands so that we can continue to enjoy your wonderful photos. I feel much better now that I have played with the T3 today, looking at it from a different perspective from last year.

Please post lots of pictures when you get the T3. :-)

- Stella

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:16 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

This has turned out to be a fun day! Stella, thank you SO MUCH for checking out this camera for me. YOU'RE THE BEST! :10 You deserve a big (((hug)))
I'm actually starting to get excited about getting this new toy (I told Chip it could be my Christmas present from him; I wonder if he'll make me wait? :neen )... and I got to check an item off my "bucket list" tonight ... it was the first and only time that I've been pulled over and questioned in a major DWI check point coming home from doing some power shopping, LOL. I don't think they send that many police units out for a homicide -- lots and lots of flashing lights on cars trucks ready to haul people off. Not to fear, I wasn't driving (or drinking), but as the officer came closer to the car and Anita was rolling down her window, I said to her, "Oh, I so hope they are going to ask us to get out and inspect the car and trunk!" We both broke up laughing so hard knowing how stuffed the trunk and backseat were with bags and boxes, that I was sure were going to have to blow in that gadget. I would have enjoyed watching the officer go through the car. :ROFL After a few questions and bantering with a big fierce looking cop, we were released back on society. :goof

To top it all off, we'd dropped Oliver off at work with his Daddy Person today before heading out to shop; When we got home Oliver had already had his dinner and bath, and our dinner was warming on the stove ... and hubby unloaded the car!

Made in the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:22 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Stella, just curious, what was Fry's asking for the Canon today?

If it turns out that I like the camera, I might get a 55mm 1.2 lens for every day stuff. I'm going to have to check storage for my old canon equipment ... wondering if there sill might be some of my old lenses from my 35mm and if they might work on this.

Made in the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:26 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Dawn, when I saw the asking price for the Canon, and then saw the same camera on sale at Amazon, I couldn't help but think something was wrong ... I don't usually get that lucky. Watch out! ... I may force you to look at lots of new Oliver pics ... and the grandbabies.

Made in the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:17 pm 
Forum Legend

Cindy,
Fry's is being a little sneaky about the "special price" today on the T3. At the store, they did not put a sale sticker on the shelf where I was checking things out. It was still listed as $449. When I checked the web, the price is $299 also. :Clap

I wonder what they will charge at the register if the customer does not know about the "special".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:19 pm 
Forum Legend

Cindy wrote:
Dawn, when I saw the asking price for the Canon, and then saw the same camera on sale at Amazon, I couldn't help but think something was wrong ... I don't usually get that lucky. Watch out! ... I may force you to look at lots of new Oliver pics ... and the grandbabies.

:ROFL NO Forcing Here! It is always a pleasure to see Master Oliver and your family grow! :love

Cindy, We have the 75 to 300 lens. Wondering if the body for this camera can hold this lens. I do think that all Canon Lenses will "fit" all Canon Cameras. Sylvia has a lens that is about a foot long. I think that her Canon camera body holds it. Will ask when I see her.

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:33 pm 
Forum Legend

Cindy wrote:
Stella, just curious, what was Fry's asking for the Canon today?

If it turns out that I like the camera, I might get a 55mm 1.2 lens for every day stuff. I'm going to have to check storage for my old canon equipment ... wondering if there sill might be some of my old lenses from my 35mm and if they might work on this.

Cindy, all of the 35mm EF mount lenses would work. The T3, like my T2i, will have a 1.6x magnification factor. So a 50mm lens is more like a 80mm lens equivalent on the full frame cameras. I usually mount my Canon 35mm f/2 prime lens on my T2i for my day-to-day dog pictures around here. The 50mm f/1.8 (usually the street photography lens on the full frame) becomes the portrait lens.

I am very excited and look forward to see lots of pictures from you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:31 pm 
Forum Legend

You will definitely have fun with this camera. It really sets appart from bridge cameras. My cousin has the same one after I recommend it to her due to her budget and she just loves it. Best of all it has all the different shooting modes the more expensive cameras have just in case you want to experiment. Looking forward to seeing some pics..

To fall in love is easy, even to remain in it is not difficult; Our human loneliness is cause enough. But it is a hard quest worth making to find a comrade through who's steady presence one becomes steadily the person one desires to be.AnnaLouiseStrong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:43 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Thanks again, Isaac. I'm starting to get excited about this camera and for the first time since I retired the old Fuji's, I'm looking forward to getting out and taking pictures again!

Made in the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:23 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I got a message that my camera is on its way ... should be here by Tuesday. I don't remember what I kept and what I gave away when I stopped using my old 35 mm cameras (it was so long ago). I know I kept a Topcon and an assortment of Ziess lenses, but I'm not sure about the other cameras and lenses. Now I'm hoping that I'll find some old Canon lenses in storage.

Made in the

Post subject: Re: Help please, Your thoughts on Canon Rebel? ***It's Here!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:32 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Chip gave me the "go ahead" to open my Christmas gift -- it's now out of the box and the battery is charging. :YAY

Made in the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Cindy wrote:
Chip gave me the "go ahead" to open my Christmas gift -- it's now out of the box and the battery is charging. :YAY

Haha thy great looking forward to seeing some pix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:41 pm 
Forum Legend

Photos please!!! Drum roll....