All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Sebastian
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Hello friends,

Sebastian (aka 'Saby') passed away on Sunday...my heart is broken - I feel as though it has split in half and will never repair. He was/is my only family..for almost 17 years. Any advice? I feel a bit crazy at times, up and down, up and down. I have never felt this much pain in my life. M~

Attachments:
mypictr_Facebook.jpg
mypictr_Facebook.jpg [ 12.56 KiB | Viewed 5659 times ]

Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Sebastian, March 20, 1995 - February 12, 2012 (Saby you are furever in my heart~)

Post subject: Re: Sebastian
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry
I know what you're feeling. I lost my sweet Feather after 17.5 yrs. :cry
I loved her with all my heart.
I let myself cry, and cry , and cry. And, yes, it did help.
Be gentle with yourself, and take care.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:00 pm 
Forum Legend

Michelle, I'm so sorry you've lost your best friend and baby. I don't know of any 'magic' to ease the pain. I wish I did... I'd hold something close - his collar, a blanket, a picture - something that makes you feel close to him. Talk to someone, share stories, remember the love and happy times. Tell about the funny little things he did... and like Chris said, let yourself cry...

Also, know you are among many people who have lost the loves of their lives, too. Many of us can, and do really feel for you, because we've been there. Even though it doesn't feel like the pain will ever ease, it will. You won't forget him, ever, but the pain will ease, although it may be slowly... :hp

Ginger - copper & black sable Chi girl - 3 yrs
Shadow - my dark sable purry one - 17 yrs

Momma loves you always, my darlings who have gone on before...
<3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:38 am 
Active Forum Member

Oh my, so sorry :sad Wish I had some advice to make it a bit easier for you, but I dont. It is so very hard I know, I agree, just cry as much as you need to. We send our love. :hp

Brady-skin kid-14yrs.
^Skippy^-fur baby-still loved-passed on in 2008
Pumpkin-fur baby- Red&White- 6/1/2009
Peaches-fur baby-Buff- 11/1/2011

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:48 am 
Forum Legend

Oh, I am so very sorry. I know the horrible pain that you are feeling right now. I know that you are missing your Saby so much and that it hurts horribly- :cry You gave him so much love. I am so very sorry. Sending you a hug.

The time, long or short, that we have with our fur babies - it is never enough.
Waiting at the Rainbow bridge for us:
Lasey, my shadow for 2 months shy of 18 years
and Lily - 9 years old. We miss you both so much

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:07 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I am so sorry.. boy do I understand your pain. In 2008 I lost 3 of my cockers within a month. It took me 6 months before I could function again. I would say that grief is something individual. We all deal with it in different ways. One thing I think that helps is a memorial. Putting mine together has helped me.
I am a watercolorist, but, I hardly ever paint my own dogs. I did do one painting, and my hubby did another that involved two of ours that went to the bridge, those have been added here but I don't have a photo of them on the wall.. I also haven't found the urns that I want to use.. so their boxes are there for now. It has helped me to do this for my lost loves.

Attachments:
memorial1.jpg
memorial1.jpg [ 31.7 KiB | Viewed 5615 times ]

pollysportraits.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 am 
Active Forum Member

Oh no both Moose and I are sorry to hear. That is a long time but not long enough

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Very sorry.... I pray you may somehow find the comfort you need.

Kudah-French Brittany rescued 06-2008
Blu - Buff Merle born 05-13-2010/Home on 08-28-2014

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:01 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

hugs, Michelle - I am so sorry for your loss. Handsome Sebastian left you with many wonderful memories that will eventually bring your smiles instead of tears. Grief is individual - for me, I had to CRY - boy did I cry! I was one of those people who wasn't ready to give my heart away too soon after. Kodak was my heart dog for 14 years - it was going to take time for me. But the house was too terribly empty, I just couldn't stand that! So I started fostering for a rescue. The pitter patter of temporary feet was just what the doctor ordered to help me - having a warm body to cry into, having the joy of each adoption to help soothe the heart. Find your joy, and it will help you thru the grief. Many many hugs ...

PS - Kodak passed away in 2002. It wasn't until 2006 that I was ready to adopt for real again, although Baxter did adopt me in 2005. And yes, I still cry when I talk about losing my baby girl all those years ago ...

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:21 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I have to tell you though - I am still mourning my Coriander who I said goodbye to over 8 years ago and frankly I have yet to get even close to recovering from losing the magnificent Miss Maxine who went to the Bridge last July. All I can offer is the affirmation that you are not unusual here....each of us that has lost a pup knows exactly what "heartbroken" means. I hope you can enjoy the memories of your Sebastian some day soon and that your pain will lessen. It is never easy but we do understand.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:45 pm 
Forum Legend

Michelle,
I'm so sorry for your loss. I think that we mourn and remember them forever. Everyone gets through this differently. I did some craft things in memory of my girl, cried a LOT, did things in her memory. I'm holding you in my prayers, Michelle.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:15 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

Michelle, I'm sending love, hugs, and prayers for comfort for you in your loss of Sebastian. Having lost my Bonnie girl at age 16 1/2 in 2008, I understand how you are feeling with your heart broken. It's just the hardest thing in the world to go through and really nothing that anyone can say will make a difference at this time. The tears just don't stop coming and that's okay. God gave us tears. Michelle, Polly shared about making a memorial as she did when she lost her pups. A memorial was a big help to me, too. We have Bonnie girl home with us, buried on our property. My husband went down to the local funeral home (we're friends with the owner) and ordered a beautiful red marble grave marker for Bonnie girl. A dear friend gave us a beautiful cement statue of a darling Cocker Spaniel that stands by Bonnie's grave. It will be four years next month since Bonnie left us for the Bridge and I still cry for her.

Our precious little Reese came to live with us six months after Bonnie girl died. We just couldn't love Reese any more; she's just a perfect, precious little girl. I never thought it was possible to have two heart doggies, but Reese was deep in my heart before she even moved to our home from the Zim's. We are so blessed to have Reese. Healing takes lots of time, Michelle, and you'll always have Sebastian in your heart. :hp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:47 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm so sorry for your loss and for the pain you're feeling. If it helps to know that you're "normal" - you are. Crying is just part of the healing process and everyone is different in how long it takes to go through it. Each time I've lost a dog, I say one of two things: "I'm never going through that again" or "I'm going to wait a good, long while before getting another dog." And both things have consistently been a lie. I can't stand not having a cocker because they make me so happy. I hope the hole in your heart heals and will allow you to get another wigglebutt when you're ready. I always think the dogs I've lost help to choose the next one - and so far they've chosen well.
Hugs to you as you go through this difficult time. I'll pray for peace and healing for you in the months ahead.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

Post subject: Sebastian
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:23 pm 
Active Forum Member

Lacey, Abby and Teddy are sending out hugs to you for your loss. You have to know that Sebastian had the best life with you. He is now running free over the Rainbow Bridge waiting to rest his head in your lap. Know that he is watching over you.

[color=#0000BF]Teddy (Tri) Our Prince DOB: 1/23/09 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (1/23/11)
Calvin - Our 2nd Prince DOB: 9/12/11 (Honorary Birthday) Rescued (9/12/15) - RIP 9/25/16

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:53 pm 
Forum Legend

I am so sorry for your loss. Sebastian looked like a great character and best buddy. I know the feeling of your dog been your only family, my Holly is my all, my life and my heart and I am sure I will be lost without her. 17 years is a life long. Hope you find the strenght and comfort to keep going on and keep going strong. Be sure Sebastian is happy on the rain bow bridge. HE sure is happy and grateful for you love and care.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:17 pm 
Active Forum Member

I am so sorry to hear that. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I am heartbroken for you to have lost such a dear and longstanding companion. Know that you are well loved and that we are all here for you if there is anything any of us can do to help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:51 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm so sorry for your loss... I pray that you find a place of peace in your grief.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:38 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Hi friends...

I cannot thank you enough for your kind sentiments, comments and advice. I truly appreciate it and I do not feel as though I am alone. I am a single-girl-with-dog(s)..as I usually say - Sebastian was my only family for almost 17 years - he changed my life. I am still struggling with guilt e.g. should have spent more quality time with him (I work f/t, am a Master of Counseling student, etc..) and feel like I could have been there more. However, at the same time, I know Sebastian knew how much I loved him.

It is funny, b/c I thought - no more Cockers! Too many health issues...but today I happened to drive by a woman walking her black Cocker and I thought....I want one! :P So, one day..and it will be a rescue. Right now, I am being comforted by my little girl, Dolly, a miniature Dachshund who came to me last October (a rescue). I cannot help but think that Sebastian had something to do with that -he knew I could not be alone. And, here she is, comforting me! I am blessed.

Normally I would address each of you, but can't today...just trying to keep busy and my mind a bit distracted so please excuse me for my rudeness. I have read each post and I am grateful for your support :love M~

Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Sebastian, March 20, 1995 - February 12, 2012 (Saby you are furever in my heart~)

Last edited by SabsMum on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:48 pm 
Forum Legend

Michelle I am happy you have another 4 leged to poured your love into. Keep working toward your degree and making a wish list of what to do with. A grief group for pet loss is a great idea as well as any kind of help. Go figure I will definitively need it when is time for my Holly. Our first Cocker was with us for almost 14 years and I was the one who took he to be put down. Well needless to say I was hysterical. I cried for 2 weeks non stop, so there is no telling when my heart dog and eternal companion goes to the Rainbow Bridge. Keep stron and be sure Sebastian loved you and all you gave him. Dont feel guilty. I only wish for 5 more years with my Holly as she is 12.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

Post subject: Re: Sebastian (my blog on a dog & loss)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:48 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Hello my lovely friends :wv

It has been a long time since I have posted on here - it was truly helpful to know that there are others w/ wigglebutts who understood exactly what I was experiencing. It's been almost a year-and a-half since I've lost my little Sebastian and not a day goes by that I do not think of him. Most days, I think of him many times and how could I not? When I go for walks, he is right there alongside me, when I cook he is there yet again sniffing what's for dinner! These are the memories I cherish.

I have since created a blog about my experience of losing him and I hope you will visit it. Please feel free to comment and/or pass onto someone who may be grieving the loss of their pet(s). If there is something specific you'd like me to blog about, let me know! I originally intended to blog once per week, but this past year's events have left me a bit breathless. I have also lost my beloved dad, almost exactly a year to the day I lost Sebastian.

Here is the link to my blog, "Good Grief Sebastian: A Blog about a Dog: Love, Loss and the Random Musings of Mimi" http://wp.me/p2JmrV-3 :sun

I look forward to your comments - and remember, there is no judgement. In Spirit, Mimi~

(P.S. I do want to state that I did email the forum leader to request permission to post a link to my blog and, to date, I have not received a response. So, I am taking a chance that this does not offend anyone, as it's purpose is to help & support other dog lovers.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:29 pm 
Forum Legend

I am just seeing this post now and want to say I am so sorry for your losses. The pain is so difficult and it just seems they (both human and animal) are never here long enough with us. I read your blog and must say that your story was similar to what happened to me in 2006-2007. I lost my mom in Oct. 2006, who was my best friend (since I am an only child) and then lost my cocker, Casey, in December of 2006 (6 weeks later) when chronic renal failure took him from us. However, for me there was a ray of light in the darkness. Due to the horrendous couple of months my husband and I had just survived he suggested we get a cocker spaniel for our Christmas present. That led us to Parker, my tri color sweetboy, who is my heart dog. :hp He helped to brighten up our hearts and souls and I know he was "guided" into our lives. When my dad passed in August 2007 Parker played a major role helping me adjust to being "parentless" by his sweetness, love, and gentle nature. I have had cocker spaniels all my married life and cannot envision ever being dogless. I have many friends who are "dog people" and the ones who aren't have my sympathy because they are the ones that lose out on all that wonderful unconditional love. Hope that happy memories of Sebastian are flooding your mind as time goes by.

Wag more, bark less!