Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:20 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Ellie's puppy from her first litter, only 6 years old. In spite of my breeding from scanned parents according to the Club guidelines, he suffered from Syringomyelia, a horrible spinal cord / nerves disease Cavaliers are all too prone to. :cry

Attachments:
IMG_0326small.jpg
IMG_0326small.jpg [ 102.24 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:29 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi, lucyD sorry to hear about your dog, my father-in-law has a king charles only about 2, just recently he has been finding it hard to jump and run. They say he's hurt his back legs, to me it looks like his back. It's been going on for 3 weeks now are there anymore symptoms.

Thanks James.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:27 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

The problem with SM is that so many of the symptoms could so easily be something else. I have a feeling a slight lack of mobility could even be one - but it's far more likely to be your father-in-law's dog has hurt his back or legs. I hope he feels better soon! Main symptoms are head rubbing, scratching, particularly if scratching and howling or vocalising at the same time, air licking, sensitive to touch especially round head / neck area. But a dog could be doing all that sort of thing if he had an ear infection, a sore neck, glue ear, fly catchers syndrome, you name it! I didn't own Spencer but I bred him, so even though I didn't breed irresponsibly and it was just horrible bad luck, I feel so bad for his loving owners who must be devastated. :cry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:22 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I am so sorry, Lucy, for you and Spencer's family. Sometimes these things happen, despite the best efforts from good, responsible breeders. Just think of all the other dogs that would be born and suffer from this and other genetic issues, if good breeders like you didn't do their best to breed with the intention of preventing genetic problems and promoting the best example of the breed to standard and temperament.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:35 pm 
Active Forum Member

Very sorry, Lucy! It must be so hard to lose one so young like that :cry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 am 
I Rescue Cockers

That is hard especially when they're still that young. My sympathy to both you and the owners.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:18 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Cindy wrote:
I am so sorry, Lucy, for you and Spencer's family. Sometimes these things happen, despite the best efforts from good, responsible breeders. Just think of all the other dogs that would be born and suffer from this and other genetic issues, if good breeders like you didn't do their best to breed with the intention of preventing genetic problems and promoting the best example of the breed to standard and temperament.

That's what I'm trying to tell myself - if I and others like me don't do our best to breed responsibly even though stuff like this sometimes happens, people won't have any options other than buying from people who haven't tested their dogs at all. It doesn't bring poor little Spencer back for his heartbroken owners though. :cry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:36 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I am very sorry, it is so hard when we lose our babies young.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

LucyD wrote:
The problem with SM is that so many of the symptoms could so easily be something else. I have a feeling a slight lack of mobility could even be one - but it's far more likely to be your father-in-law's dog has hurt his back or legs. I hope he feels better soon! Main symptoms are head rubbing, scratching, particularly if scratching and howling or vocalising at the same time, air licking, sensitive to touch especially round head / neck area. But a dog could be doing all that sort of thing if he had an ear infection, a sore neck, glue ear, fly catchers syndrome, you name it! I didn't own Spencer but I bred him, so even though I didn't breed irresponsibly and it was just horrible bad luck, I feel so bad for his loving owners who must be devastated. :cry

Thanks for the reply hopefully it's just a strain, for some reason he won't go to the vets even though he has a good insurance.
In the end the owners will remember the good times and certainly won't blame you that I guarantee, you did everything possible and the owners will be devastated however it happens. I can hear the owners saying now I hope LucyD doesn't think we are blaming her.

Last edited by James on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 am 
Forum Legend

I'm so sorry to hear that, Lucy. :sad

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:57 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

James wrote:
LucyD wrote:

Thanks for the reply hopefully it's just a strain, for some reason he won't go to the vets even though he has a good insurance.
In the end the owners will remember the good times and certainly won't blame you that I guarantee, you did everything possible and the owners will be devastated however it happens. I can hear the owners saying now I hope LucyD doesn't think we are blaming her.

Aw thanks, let's hope so!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

LucyD wrote:
James wrote:
LucyD wrote:

Aw thanks, let's hope so!