The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:20 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 2071
Location: Suffolk, England
Ellie's puppy from her first litter, only 6 years old. In spite of my breeding from scanned parents according to the Club guidelines, he suffered from Syringomyelia, a horrible spinal cord / nerves disease Cavaliers are all too prone to. :cry


Attachments:
IMG_0326small.jpg
IMG_0326small.jpg [ 102.24 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]

_________________
Owned by Ellie (tri CKCS) Hetty & Lottie (blenheim CKCS). Always missing my Henry (blenheim CKCS) 13/4/02 - 4/6/10 and George (buff cocker 10/4/02 - 6/8/16)

Spaniels are the best dogs!!
Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:29 am 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 401
Hi, lucyD sorry to hear about your dog, my father-in-law has a king charles only about 2, just recently he has been finding it hard to jump and run. They say he's hurt his back legs, to me it looks like his back. It's been going on for 3 weeks now are there anymore symptoms.

Thanks James.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:27 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 2071
Location: Suffolk, England
The problem with SM is that so many of the symptoms could so easily be something else. I have a feeling a slight lack of mobility could even be one - but it's far more likely to be your father-in-law's dog has hurt his back or legs. I hope he feels better soon! Main symptoms are head rubbing, scratching, particularly if scratching and howling or vocalising at the same time, air licking, sensitive to touch especially round head / neck area. But a dog could be doing all that sort of thing if he had an ear infection, a sore neck, glue ear, fly catchers syndrome, you name it! I didn't own Spencer but I bred him, so even though I didn't breed irresponsibly and it was just horrible bad luck, I feel so bad for his loving owners who must be devastated. :cry

_________________
Owned by Ellie (tri CKCS) Hetty & Lottie (blenheim CKCS). Always missing my Henry (blenheim CKCS) 13/4/02 - 4/6/10 and George (buff cocker 10/4/02 - 6/8/16)

Spaniels are the best dogs!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:22 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:53 am
Posts: 1729
Location: New England (CT)
I am so sorry, Lucy, for you and Spencer's family. Sometimes these things happen, despite the best efforts from good, responsible breeders. Just think of all the other dogs that would be born and suffer from this and other genetic issues, if good breeders like you didn't do their best to breed with the intention of preventing genetic problems and promoting the best example of the breed to standard and temperament.

_________________
Cindy and Oliver invite you to visit:
http://www.BandanaCentral.com

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:35 pm 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:02 pm
Posts: 240
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Very sorry, Lucy! It must be so hard to lose one so young like that :cry

_________________
Hobbes- chocolate sable DOB 5-18-12


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 am 
Offline
I Rescue Cockers
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:52 am
Posts: 3196
Location: Westchester, NY
That is hard especially when they're still that young. My sympathy to both you and the owners.

_________________
Teddy - 11/11/03
Annie - 2/13/05
Jennie - Gotcha 9/14/11
Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:18 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 2071
Location: Suffolk, England
Cindy wrote:
I am so sorry, Lucy, for you and Spencer's family. Sometimes these things happen, despite the best efforts from good, responsible breeders. Just think of all the other dogs that would be born and suffer from this and other genetic issues, if good breeders like you didn't do their best to breed with the intention of preventing genetic problems and promoting the best example of the breed to standard and temperament.


That's what I'm trying to tell myself - if I and others like me don't do our best to breed responsibly even though stuff like this sometimes happens, people won't have any options other than buying from people who haven't tested their dogs at all. It doesn't bring poor little Spencer back for his heartbroken owners though. :cry

_________________
Owned by Ellie (tri CKCS) Hetty & Lottie (blenheim CKCS). Always missing my Henry (blenheim CKCS) 13/4/02 - 4/6/10 and George (buff cocker 10/4/02 - 6/8/16)

Spaniels are the best dogs!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:36 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:22 pm
Posts: 1308
Location: NH
I am very sorry, it is so hard when we lose our babies young.

_________________
Callie, Casey & Riley

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:09 pm 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 401
LucyD wrote:
The problem with SM is that so many of the symptoms could so easily be something else. I have a feeling a slight lack of mobility could even be one - but it's far more likely to be your father-in-law's dog has hurt his back or legs. I hope he feels better soon! Main symptoms are head rubbing, scratching, particularly if scratching and howling or vocalising at the same time, air licking, sensitive to touch especially round head / neck area. But a dog could be doing all that sort of thing if he had an ear infection, a sore neck, glue ear, fly catchers syndrome, you name it! I didn't own Spencer but I bred him, so even though I didn't breed irresponsibly and it was just horrible bad luck, I feel so bad for his loving owners who must be devastated. :cry

Thanks for the reply hopefully it's just a strain, for some reason he won't go to the vets even though he has a good insurance.
In the end the owners will remember the good times and certainly won't blame you that I guarantee, you did everything possible and the owners will be devastated however it happens. I can hear the owners saying now I hope LucyD doesn't think we are blaming her.


Last edited by James on Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 am 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:34 am
Posts: 2880
Location: Central Colorado
I'm so sorry to hear that, Lucy. :sad

_________________
Halli Madison 8/17/93 - 2/11/2006
Missing my sweet girl with all my heart.


The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:57 pm 
Offline
Forum Legend
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 2071
Location: Suffolk, England
James wrote:
LucyD wrote:
The problem with SM is that so many of the symptoms could so easily be something else. I have a feeling a slight lack of mobility could even be one - but it's far more likely to be your father-in-law's dog has hurt his back or legs. I hope he feels better soon! Main symptoms are head rubbing, scratching, particularly if scratching and howling or vocalising at the same time, air licking, sensitive to touch especially round head / neck area. But a dog could be doing all that sort of thing if he had an ear infection, a sore neck, glue ear, fly catchers syndrome, you name it! I didn't own Spencer but I bred him, so even though I didn't breed irresponsibly and it was just horrible bad luck, I feel so bad for his loving owners who must be devastated. :cry

Thanks for the reply hopefully it's just a strain, for some reason he won't go to the vets even though he has a good insurance.
In the end the owners will remember the good times and certainly won't blame you that I guarantee, you did everything possible and the owners will be devastated however it happens. I can hear the owners saying now I hope LucyD doesn't think we are blaming her.


Aw thanks, let's hope so!

_________________
Owned by Ellie (tri CKCS) Hetty & Lottie (blenheim CKCS). Always missing my Henry (blenheim CKCS) 13/4/02 - 4/6/10 and George (buff cocker 10/4/02 - 6/8/16)

Spaniels are the best dogs!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: RIP little Spencer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:26 pm 
Offline
Active Forum Member
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 401
LucyD wrote:
James wrote:
LucyD wrote:
The problem with SM is that so many of the symptoms could so easily be something else. I have a feeling a slight lack of mobility could even be one - but it's far more likely to be your father-in-law's dog has hurt his back or legs. I hope he feels better soon! Main symptoms are head rubbing, scratching, particularly if scratching and howling or vocalising at the same time, air licking, sensitive to touch especially round head / neck area. But a dog could be doing all that sort of thing if he had an ear infection, a sore neck, glue ear, fly catchers syndrome, you name it! I didn't own Spencer but I bred him, so even though I didn't breed irresponsibly and it was just horrible bad luck, I feel so bad for his loving owners who must be devastated. :cry

Thanks for the reply hopefully it's just a strain, for some reason he won't go to the vets even though he has a good insurance.
In the end the owners will remember the good times and certainly won't blame you that I guarantee, you did everything possible and the owners will be devastated however it happens. I can hear the owners saying now I hope LucyD doesn't think we are blaming her.


Aw thanks, let's hope so!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
This forum is owned and operated by:  Jim Zimmerlin  
Donations to help pay for our web server costs can be made here