An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Breeding Color Question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:49 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi there, I am the proud owner of a cocker spaniel male who we are thinking that we may want to breed in the future. When we purchased him we were told that he was a merle, but after doing some research I now believe that although there are merle's in his pedigree that he is actually a Black and White with ticking, I am not sure if his Merle pattern is being hidden or if he is in fact not a merle at all, so my question is, what color female is best to breed him with??? When we breed we are hoping for puppies that show the merle traits if he does have the merle gene, but we are trying to ensure that we don't have any health issues because of the merle gene :) HELP!!!

Kathy

Post subject: Re: Breeding Color Question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:16 am 
Forum Legend

My first suggestion is to read this:

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/breeding.html

and maybe then come back and ask questions. My understanding (and I might be wrong) is that you want to avoid merle-to-merle breeding so you have to be CERTAIN that neither dog carries the merle gene. Is your dog a rescue? Perhaps if you posted his pedigree there are people who could help point you in the right direction.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:34 am 
Active Forum Member

I have read the article that you posted and many others, that is why I am confused. I have his pedigree and I can trace his heritage back to the first known Merle, but he doesn't show any Merle traits (no blue eyes, no lighter grey in his black spots on his head, ears, face, etc, not random white hairs) that I can see, I read one site that spoke of Roan's and that the pads of their feet are solid and that parti-colored black & white with ticking have definite patches of black and white on their pads which is exactly what my little guy has. I am just trying to figure out what he is and what color to breed him with :) I will scan his pedigree and try to post better pictures of him later tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:16 am 
Forum Legend

Please study the merle mutation and read the opinion of the American Spaniel Club before you decide to breed a merle

http://www.asc-cockerspaniel.org/index. ... ckers.html

Rocky (7/18/02), Onyx (10/2/10), Misty (8/15/11), and Ethan (10/20/11)
Weesister (7/18/02-7/22/10) and Killington (10/85-2/02)waiting at the bridge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:17 pm 
Recommended Breeder
 WWW  Profile

Reposted as it pertains directly......

"Has your male had his hips X-rayed and certified with the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals? OFA
Have his patellas been checked by an orthopedist and certified with OFA to be without defect?
Have his eyes been checked by an ophthalmologist and certified clear of genetic defects and given a certificate of such with the Canine Eye Registration Foundation?

These are the minimum basic tests that all cocker spaniels must pass before being considered for breeding. No exceptions!"

Color does not matter at all until these other things are taken care of first.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:55 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Erika K. wrote:
Reposted as it pertains directly......

"Has your male had his hips X-rayed and certified with the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals? OFA
Have his patellas been checked by an orthopedist and certified with OFA to be without defect?
Have his eyes been checked by an ophthalmologist and certified clear of genetic defects and given a certificate of such with the Canine Eye Registration Foundation?

These are the minimum basic tests that all cocker spaniels must pass before being considered for breeding. No exceptions!"

Color does not matter at all until these other things are taken care of first.

Ditto!
And the potential parents' eye checks (CERF) should be renewed annually to check for eye issues that may develop after the first/initial exam. At a minimum, the CERF certifications should be dated no more than 12 mos prior to any breeding taking place.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.