An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: GETTING REGISTERED????
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 am 
Forum Member

ME AND MY WIFE RECENTLY PURCHASED OUR FIRST COCKER. THE PARENTS ARE AKC REGISTERED BUT THE PEOPLE WE GOT HIM FROM DID NOT REGISTER THE LITTER BUT WE ARE WANTING TO GET HIM AKC REGISTERED SO WE WILL BE ABLE TO BREED HIM LATER ON IN THE FUTURE. BUT WE HAVE NO INFORMATION ON THE PARENTS SO JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT GETTING THE INFORMATION WE NEED TO GET HIM REGISTERED THANK YOU! YOU CAN EMAIL US AT JCRASS0708@YAHOO.COM

Post subject: Re: GETTING REGISTERED????
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:22 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

You're in a tough spot now, because you didn't think a few moves ahead. Registration issues are one of those things that a breeder needs to think about before acquiring a puppy for breeding, not after.

The quick answer to your question is:
Your only hope of AKC registration is if you can convince the owners of the parents of your puppy to register the litter. Without their involvement in this process, and their signatures, you will not get your pup AKC registered. So, you need to talk to them and explain why you want your pup to be registered and see if they are agreeable. Without their cooperation, you're sunk.

This situation makes me wonder about a whole host of issues. If you didn't think the registration thing through before acquiring the pup, it makes me wonder how many other of your ducks are not in a row.

So, let me suggest that you take a look at http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/breeding.html which has suggestions on how to be a responsible Cocker breeder. It will lay out some of the issues that you should think through before you go down the road to breeding a litter of puppies.

Just as one example... if the breeder didn't even bother to register the litter with the AKC, is there any chance that the breeder had both parents checked by a veterinary ophthalmologist to look for signs of hereditary eye disease? During the years that Kellyn and I were breeding Cockers, we had TWO dogs in our breeding program go blind. So, I can tell you with no uncertainty that eye disease is a big issue in Cockers, and not something that you should just hope won't be a problem for you if you plan to get in to breeding. Any Cocker who does not have parents who have passed testing by a veterinary ophthalmologist is simply unacceptable for breeding.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:37 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Ditto to Jim's statements. :nw

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 am 
I Rescue Cockers

TyTee Cockers? Are you already a breeder of other breeds? My suggestion is to get the dog spayed or neutered and enjoy it as a pet. You need to educate yourself before making a decision to "breed".

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."