The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Please help me understand.....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 pm 
Forum Legend

Terri,
You are an angel for what you do. That Clancy is a handsome devil. My heart breaks everytime I see a dog, cocker or otherwise languishing in a shelter or in a bad situation. I could not deal with it ongoing as you do. I have my 3 hooligans, and I know that they are all I can handle right now. Get some rest. I bet this weekend you got worn out. Bless you and those puppers.

[color=#4000FF]Molly, Kelly, Sassy, Champ, Julie, Sugar and Miss Kitty waiting for me at the Bridge.
Currently mom to:
Cassie the Parti-Sable girl
Hailey the Red, Field coated Spaniel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:25 am 
Recommended Breeder
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I volunteer mostly thru LLP and do transports thru some lists I belong to. Have not personally done any major rescues myself since the Lehigh 7, we took a break in 2009 and early 2010, when we bought the new house & Moved.

To stop all breeding for 7 years I think I once read would eliminate all breeds. As then the youngest dog would be 7. Anyone comfortable with breeding a female past age 5 should be questioned. If everyone stopped breeding for 3 years would it help, Yes. Could we probably get the small time guys to agree to it... sure. I would. But, Would it help... Probably not. It's the big time operations that need to just stop. The ones that produce more litters in a Month then I would in a lifetime. Will they agree to stop, NEVER. They control the money. They are paying the taxes, fees, and making the state richer. So... Good Luck! Bottom line. It sucks. It's SOOOO screwed up. But the states, particularly now, Is not going to stop anything that is bringing in revenue. NY got rid of their State Dog laws in Jan 2011. They still require the Fees, etc. Just no Dog wardens. Can't afford it. :dk I about fell out when I read that. All that progress... then BOOM. So guess what, If PA doesn't follow suit. Guess where the Lancaster PM's are moving too. It'll be a CHAIN Reaction. You watch. Pa does NOT want to loose that revenue.

I see both Ends of this also. It is a PROBLEM! I used to believe it was not responsible breeders or show people doing it. WRONG. I used to believe it was not responsible pet owners. WRONG. It's everyone. Unfortunately. For Instance, I know someone on here got a show dog from a person in Maryland and a year later that person signed over a few more dogs into rescue, including 3 puppies. I was there to start the transport. Witnessed the papers being signed myself and have pictures. It's disgusting. I have alot of stories from over the years...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

I personally feel this part of your previous post is a big part of why so many animals are being put down....
"
also feel that another big part of the problem is the fact that everything in our society these days is so disposable, and people don't want to make the lifetime commitment of pet ownership. The minute a pet doesn't fit into someone's lifestyle just perfectly, it's kicked to the curb. The dogs are expected to act perfectly, train themselves, clean up after themselves, groom themselves, never get sick or injured -- I'm amazed every day that two people cannot handle having a dog AND a baby at the same time. I wouldn't give up any one of my boys for the world!"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Just wanted to point out that the words "reputable" and "responsible" are not interchangeable. A breeder could be reputable because they turn out champion show dogs, it doesn't mean they are responsible. As an active volunteer for SDSR I have also come into contact with dogs who come from breeders who are reputable but not responsible. I doubt I will ever see a dog who comes from Julie H., Erika, Norris, or Jim Zim because they are breeders who are both reputable and responsible.

If SDSR ever did get a dog whose owner claimed they were from any of these people, I'd be e-mailing Julie, Erika, Norris and Jim so fast I would burn up the Internet because I know there is no way they would not take back one of their dogs who needed rehoming. I also know that scenario is highly unlikely to happen because being responsible breeders, they were and are very selective about who adopts their pups.

More than breeders, I get frustrated with people who adopt the "cute puppy" and then dump it; not the people who have to rehome their dogs for financial or health reasons but the ones who do things like tie them to a tree with a sign that says, "Please find a good home." or leave them in the bathroom at Petco. :bang I wonder why they got a dog in the first place!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:59 am 
I DID have one of my dogs end up in a shelter once. I don't know what happened, they had been really good to her for a long time and we had kept in touch. The people lived nowhere near me, but the dog was picked up on the main road leading to my house. It was almost as if they didn't/couldn't remember exactly where I lived or my number or whatever and dropped her off hoping either she'd find her way back to me, or someone would know she belonged to the 'cocker lady' down the street. Neither happened. Fortunately for me, a friend saw her on petfinder. I called the shelter, ran down there with pictures of her, her tattoo papers, and anything and everything else proving she was mine and picked her up. The thing that was annoying is they never even looked for a tattoo or anything (this was before chips were prevalent). Plus I was licensed as a hobby kennel with the county, and it was clear she was a well bred dog. They should have put two and two together. Although now that I think about it they had her listed as a cocker/cavalier mix because she was 'small'.

As angry as I was, I really don't know what life circumstances led to this and I try not to think about it, because it makes me want to :bang . EVERY dog I place, goes with a contract saying I will take it back no matter what the reason. Apparently they lost theirs. :cry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 pm 
Recommended Breeder
 WWW  Profile

We have not bred any of our dogs for over 2 years. The last litter we had was the litter that had 3 champions in it Shiloh, Elvis and Jazz. And a very special girl Sunny D. Since we have been showing dogs we have had 4 litters, which we bred to get a dog for us to show. And find really good homes for the rest of the litter. We are proud of the fact that every one who has one of our babies would not give them up for anything. We have Shiloh and M.J. that we would like to breed but until we can make sure thier puppies will have great forever homes we will not breed them.
Norris

Last edited by Norris on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:55 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Norris:

:nw :hp

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:17 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Julie Hydro wrote:
I DID have one of my dogs end up in a shelter once.

Wow, that must have been awful - I'm so glad you found out and managed to get her. I'm actually quite glad in a way that Ellie only had tiny litters both times I bred her - 2 from the first litter that have wonderful homes, and 1 from the second that I kept. It's such a worry, making sure you get homes, and the bigger the litter the harder it must get!

Spaniels are the best dogs!!