The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Breeding is all about learning!(when are 6 boys not 6 boys)?
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:19 am 
Recommended Breeder

So, I was up for 24+ hours with no sleep by the time Tango actually started delivering her puppies. The first 4 were born pretty quickly, and I was focused on drying them and getting them going, not sexing them. I thought I had 6 boys. Fast forward 3 days. I took them to one of my mentors to learn how to dock their tails and remove their dewclaws. Not something I was looking forward to, but necessary. Anyhow, as my mentor showed me how to position the first puppy and dock its tail, she stopped, looked at me, and said, "Gale............. (long pause), this is a girl puppy." I looked, and sure enough, it was obviously a girl puppy! We did the proceedure and moved onto the next puppy. Positioned the puppy and again "Gale................., this is a girl puppy too." Okay.... we stopped and checked the rest of the puppies. One more girl, 2 boys. How embarrassing! Obviously, I don't do long periods without sleep well. lol In my own defense, I NOW know that "parts" on newborn puppies are MUCH different than "parts" on newborn persian cats (which I bred for 20+years). So, more of a learning curve than I thought! What I actually ended up with is 2 black girls, 1 black and tan girl, and 2 black and tan boys. The dead puppy was definitely a black boy, I checked him very carefully.

My second challenge is a fading puppy. Three days after birth, one of my puppies had a drastic drop in core temperature and lost weight. Whenever, I've had that severe of a drop in temperature in a kitten, I usually lost it in 5-6 hours. However, I was able to get this puppy's temp back up and stabilized enough to hand feed him. He has now survived 48 hours, his temperature has been stable for 36 hours, he has been taking formula every 2-3 hours except from 11-4 am (I have to sleep sometime, my mom feeds him while I am at work), and has gained an oz yesterday (don't know about today, I weigh at 4pm). He now appears to have enough strength to latch on to his mother again. I am cautiously optimistic about his chances... The rest of the puppies are all doing very well, even the tiny one that only weighed 4.75 oz at birth (she is now well over 8 oz).

I'll post pictures as soon as I find my camera.

Last edited by Gale on Wed May 06, 2015 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Breeding is all about learning!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:13 pm 
Forum Legend

I have to say I literally LOL when I read the above!

I read your name thread before this one, and thought to myself....you CAN'T name a boy Annie, Destiny, and whatever other female call names you mentioned. I still thought at the time of reading it you had 6 males. I decided not to comment on that thread, thinking I guess she can do anything she wants to do. :ROFL

I hope the little pup with issues is still doing good and all of that is behind him.

I can't wait to see pics!!!

Post subject: Re: Breeding is all about learning!
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:10 pm 
Forum Legend

LOL -- too funny. I hope the fading puppy continues to improve and that you get some sleep!

Colleen K

Post subject: Re: Breeding is all about learning!(when are 6 boys not 6 bo
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:52 pm 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

C'mon little boy, fight! That one might have to be named Ali if he pulls through Gale :bg

As for sexing puppies, I know what it's like when you're completely exhausted. At least you got some girls, that's pretty darned exciting! And black and tan too :) I'm jealous!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:29 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

KLADCkrs wrote:
C'mon little boy, fight! That one might have to be named Ali if he pulls through Gale :bg

As for sexing puppies, I know what it's like when you're completely exhausted. At least you got some girls, that's pretty darned exciting! And black and tan too :) I'm jealous!

I'm jealous as well!

And hoping the little guy is continuing to improve. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:45 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Hope the little one is still fighting! I had to laugh when I read this as I had a similar experience with my first litter. My mentor wanted to know what sex the 2 puppies were after it was all over, and all I could say was that I thought they were boys and they were definitely the same as each other whichever they were! She was laughing her head off at me not being sure. I spent quite a long time googling how to sex newborn puppies, but never had seen either sex newborn it really wasn't all that easy! As it turned out they were both boys! Phew! :tg

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Do we need to send you back to dog anatomy class? :ROFL

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.