The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: When is the best time to breed?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:49 am 
Active Forum Member

I have a nearly 3 year old female and I really want to breed her. Is it during or after the bleeding stops.??? My Portia is at the studs house right now the day after the bleeding stopped and nothing is happening yet, What do you think???
:paw :paw :paw :Rule

Post subject: Re: When is the best time to breed?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:29 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Best time to breed is after the dog has been shown to championship to ensure it is a good representative of the breed. If not that only after necessary health testing has been done. What were your dogs CERF and OFA scores?

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:11 pm 
Forum Legend

Sorry to be blunt, but I think the best time to breed is when you already know the answer to this question.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:25 pm 
Active Forum Member

Just so you know I am a hobby breeder and I have not done any breeding at my home for nearly 3 years. I do know what to look for and all I needed was some confirmation not the grilling I got on here. I love this breed and have had one or two over the last 8 years. If everyone knew everything there is to know about everything then the need for this kind of site would not be necessary now would it?
Donna McDougall
:Rule :run :run :run :run

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:45 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Per the rules of this site....posted on the board index page...

5. Do not use the forum to publicize a litter of puppies that is for sale without clearing it with me first. If you've got a well-bred purebred litter of puppies from parents who have passed OFA and CERF tests, and your puppies are not mismarked and generally do meet the breed standard... I probably would be happy to let you tell the world about them here on the forum. BUT... write to me privately and talk to me about it FIRST before posting ANYTHING about your puppies on the forum... even a mention that your dog is pregnant.

I realize you didn't say your dog was pregnant or about selling but just letting you know....

Also....if you know what to look for (as you stated), why are you asking this question? You didn't comment on what the results of your dogs OFA and CERF tests were. This site is to share the love of the cocker breed, not for talking about breeding cocker spaniels unless you are an approved breeder. Oh and yes, if you are breeding you should know all there is to know about it.

Maya - Blue Merle born 5/28/06
Angel - White Buff rescued 4/19/09 at 4mo of age
Belle - Cocker mix rescued 6/5/13 at 8 weeks of age
^Ginger^ - Buff rescued 5/19/07 went to the bridge 5/26/13
^Lacey^ -Black Cocker always in our hearts 12/15/89-7/16/06

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:35 am 
Forum Legend

Donna:

I looked at your profile and saw that you are in Canada - not the U.S. We have SO MANY unwanted litters of puppies here in the States because people breed indiscriminately, sell the puppies too soon to anyone with $50 bucks and then those people dump them in shelters when they aren't perfect. Four million dogs are put down every year due to overcrowding in the shelters. I think that's where most of us come from with our opinions. Look at the rescue section and you'll see how many unwanted dogs there are in every region of the country.

That being said, that's not saying you are like that - but it seems that if you are breeding for a quality puppy that you might have already talked to other breeders or learned as much as you could on the front end about how to go about the whole process - from testing for health issues to determining breed standards, the actual breeding process, whelping puppies, etc.

When you post on a nationwide forum you are going to get a lot of different opinions and you just have to accept that everyone has one and it may be different from yours. I'm sorry if I offended you and I hope someone can come along and help answer your question.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:04 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

TinaP wrote:
Sorry to be blunt, but I think the best time to breed is when you already know the answer to this question.

I have to say I agree! If 'The Book of the Bitch' is available over there I would buy it, it is a very good read and will answer a lot of your questions and make you considering rationally whether breeding is a good idea for you and your girl. :-)

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:06 pm 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

The Breeding & Whelping of Puppies by Muriel P Lee is the best book out there . . . but if you are asking this question then I would say you're not set up to breed. Being a hobby breeder just means that you do this as a hobby rather than as a profession. But ANY breeder should know the basics of breeding, and that includes when it is the best time to breed.

As others have pointed out, before breeding you should be doing OFA tests for hip dysplasia and eye clearances at a very bare minimum. Regardless of whether you want to show or not, health testing should be done for every single breeding animal. It's what's responsible.