An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: A few honest questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 am 
Active Forum Member

I've been researching which breed of dog to add to our family for a few years now and have noticed a trend among breeders of nearly every breed I've investigated. That trend is to raise the puppies indoors. I've also noticed that every breed I have researched is prone to allergies -- something that I don't remember about any of my dogs or my friends' dogs having in years past. Finally, we are learning that allergies in humans may be a product of living in too sterile an environment. I'm thinking about a study of the Amish which was recently reported which indicates that their levels of asthma and hay fever, etc are ridiculously low in their population and very high in a genetically similar population in Switzerland. The study's authors suggest that the Amish children are exposed to all sorts of allergens and microbes in the cow barns as tiny infants and thus become immune to them as they grow. The Swiss control group was raised in an urban environment and rarely exposed to these common allergens and microbes. So, my question is, could the rise in allergies among dog breeds be related to this trend of raising puppies indoors?

Post subject: Re: A few honest questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 am 
Forum Legend

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. :lol2 Times have changed in that most people view their dogs as family and not as a dog that you leave outside to let you know when someone drives in your driveway. Many dogs and cats were left outside and the owners didn't notice a lot of the health issues. How often did they notice that feeding certain table scraps made them sick because the dog just threw up or got the runs outside instead of inside? I was raised on a farm and, sadly, that is how farmers treated the unproductive animals. Being from the farm, I didn't have any allergies (except medications) until I moved to the city. I used to work in hay fields and never sneezed, now a soft breeze blowing the newly budded trees and I'm a sneeze machine! :lol2

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject: Re: A few honest questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:24 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Your topic is interesting, but I'm not sure if we can make a judgement based on our pets simply being raised indoors vs outdoors. So much more has changed than simply being indoors or outdoors, including what we and our pets are exposed to on a daily basis. Times have changed; I think we are more aware of things (medical issues, allergies, etc.) than in the past, and I think we are all exposed to far too many artificial products and chemicals in our food and environment that weren't a factor in years past; our immune systems are over taxed. We are also in the instant information age where we hear about so many more things than made the news in times gone by. Also, our dogs have become members of our families, and as such, it's important for them to be raised indoors and use to household noises and behaviors from the start. We are aware of so many health issues today and tend to vaccinate our children and pets against terrible diseases far more than before; sometimes I think this is good and bad, but important to protect the "herd".

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!