Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Water Fountain?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:08 am 
Forum Legend

Hey fellow Cockerlovers!

I just wanted to see whether anyone has used a water fountain for their pets in the past, and whether you might have any recommendations? My little Oliver is stubborn as can be (yep, he's ALL Cocker!), and simply refuses to drink standing water. If he hears water running in the bathroom or kitchen, he runs for a drink from the tap. I have taken to turning on the bath faucet for him several times throughout the day so he can sip the fresh water to his little heart's delight. :goof **Sigh** - the things we do for these pups!

I still fill up his water bowl, and have tried to coax him to drink it in numerous ways, but he sniffs it and looks at me like I'm crazy. Running the bath for him isn't ideal, but if I don't do that, he runs in to the bathroom whenever someone flushes the toilet and tries to drink from the toilet basin. Silly dog!

Anyway, I know they sell fountains for pets and wondered whether anyone has had positive/negative experiences with these? I think the constant trickling of the water would be enough to eliminate our bizarre bathtub routine.

Thanks for the input!

Post subject: Re: Water Fountain?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:06 pm 
Active Forum Member

This is the fountain my girls used to use, they absolutely loved it but it was kind of time consuming to maintain.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... agpspn=pla

Here are a few things which are inconvenient they do not tell you about;

It needs to be totally disassembled and cleaned including the pump about every two to three days or it will build up a pink slime. It uses special filters which have to be changed about every month or so because it also builds up a slime on it. You also need to place it close to an outlet because it needs to be plugged in (if Oliver is a chewer you will have to camouflage the cord so he does not get to it) We no longer use it because it is much easier to clean a stainless steel dish a couple times a day.

Attachments:
water fountain.jpg
water fountain.jpg [ 60.76 KiB | Viewed 6933 times ]

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Lexi ~ Buff ~12/11/2008 - 10/17/2017 [i]and [/i] Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:52 pm 
Forum Legend

Adam...

Chessie used to be the same way and I worried like you are... but she eventually discovered the joy of having water in a bowl. She still occasionally asks me to turn the tub on for her but not as often. Thankfully she never discovered the toilet bowl LOL. To get her to use her bowl more I started putting water in her food dish with dinner. That way I know she is getting some water everyday since she has to drink it to get to her food.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:55 pm 
Forum Legend

Deb,

I was hoping you would respond to this post if only to see that photo again. It always makes me smile! :sml

Your information is great too.. I've considered getting an fountain .. your information makes me glad I never got around to it! Thanks!

Deb in WA State wrote:
This is the fountain my girls used to use, they absolutely loved it but it was kind of time consuming to maintain.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... agpspn=pla

Here are a few things which are inconvenient they do not tell you about;

It needs to be totally disassembled and cleaned including the pump about every two to three days or it will build up a pink slime. It uses special filters which have to be changed about every month or so because it also builds up a slime on it. You also need to place it close to an outlet because it needs to be plugged in (if Oliver is a chewer you will have to camouflage the cord so he does not get to it) We no longer use it because it is much easier to clean a stainless steel dish a couple times a day.

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:20 pm 
Forum Legend

Have you tried putting a little salt free chicken broth in Oliver's water? That might make him a little more interested in drinking out of a bowl. :dk

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:01 pm 
Forum Legend

I have a pet fountain origionally for the cats but Zoey uses it too. The fountain gets dirty very fast with a dog using it. (must be the drool :gig ) I also add water to Zoey's food because she doesn't drink enough and gets constipated. There are many different brands and the only advice I have is get one that is easy to clean because you will have to do that very often.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:05 pm 
Active Forum Member

Adam I also had very picky water drinkers. I now keep a pitcher of water in the fridge for them and they race for the water when they see me fill up their bowls. It stays cold for awhile and when I top it off they get excited all over again :goof !

KC, Chocolate Lab ~ 5/5/05
Cabo, Golden Retriever ~ 3/18/08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:25 pm 
Active Forum Member

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FGIUV ... mdp_mobile

We have this one. The dogs love it, and the cleaning isn't bad. I don't recall where we ordered it from though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:00 pm 
Forum Legend

Thanks for all the input guys, as usual lots of great responses! :lol3 Fountains sound time intensive!

Deb, that photo is too funny! You had a proper little queue going on at your house! What made you stop using it?

Lisa, I'm glad there's still hope for my little oddball, as you seem to have conquered this challenge yourself. Indeed, be thankful toilet drinking didn't occur. Nothing makes me want puppy kisses less than finding Oliver lapping up water there!

Lee - I LOVE this idea! The one way I can get Oliver to drink from his bowl is to fill it with ice cubes and let it sit for a few minutes with water until the liquid is icy cold; makes me wonder if his drinking habits are more centered around a temperature preference than anything else. At any rate, I already keep a cooled pitcher of water for myself in the fridge, why not him too? It would hardly be the first time my little Cocker mistook himself for the human species! :raz Any attempts to remind him otherwise are always immediately rebuffed! ;-)

Thanks again all!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 pm 
Forum Legend

Just to give you some other things to consider... I don't know what kind of a bowl you are using/trying to use for his water, but I discovered when I had fosters that some dogs just won't drink out of plastic (I think it must hold odors even after the dishwasher). and some bop their tags on the side of stainless steel and scare themselves (Silly pups!) I had the most success with small (1.5 cup size) stainless steel (in multiples when I was fostering). The stainless steel keeps the water cooler, the small size is not so scary, and they are easy to keep clean. At least that was my experience.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 pm 
Forum Legend

Chris, this is an interesting thought. Come to think of it, I never had this problem when we lived in France, as he was happy to drink from his stainless steel water bowl. Here in the States we've been using a plastic set I picked up a while ago at Target...makes me wonder if that COULD be the reason! Definitely worth a shot!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:48 pm 
Active Forum Member

Adam
I stopped using the fountain because I switched my girls to a homemade diet (which has more moisture in it) and they were not drinking as much water. I was spending more time cleaning the fountain than they were drinking out of it. :goof

I like Chris have gone to a very small stainless dish; I have to fill it multiple times throughout the day but if you go with a small dish then the ears don't dangle in the water :th-up

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Lexi ~ Buff ~12/11/2008 - 10/17/2017 [i]and [/i] Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:12 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Maybe he would drink out of a water bottle hung inside his crate better than the water bowl. Also try putting ice in the water. My mom's female bishon won't drink out of her water bowl once she has drank once. Not sure where our little darlings get these ideas..... :gig

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:15 pm 
Active Forum Member

Had to chime in as I've been recently going through this with Peaches. Since her onslaught of medicines for everything, she has to be on a fiber-thick diet which really "clots" her up inside. But at 15.5 years, Peaches has her own opinions on how much water she should drink. Which is very little!

I went the low-sodium chicken broth route too, adding a few drops several times a day in her water bowl, and that encouraged her some. But I was concerned that leaving chicken water out for even a few hours would be blechhh. So I opted for a 1/2 tsp of pure 100% coconut water instead! I have checked with my vet and she insists that as long as it's not more than 1-1.5 tbsp of coconut water per day, it won't harm the dog. Plus, it's very nutritious and sweet-smelling in her water bowl.

Just make sure it's only 100% coconut water with no additives; no juices or milks or anything like that. I buy mine at Trader Joe's in a tetrapak.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:21 pm 
Forum Legend

Deborah, the ice trick definitely works! I have done that many times...of course, after he's had his fill, he seeks out the ice cubes and munches on those...silly dog! :raz

Priyanka...mmm, I would want water that was flavored too! ;-) Well, maybe not so much with the chicken broth, but count me down for anything that comes from Trader Joe's! Oliver likes to drink all the time, he just refuses to drink his stale bowl water. Instead, I have him whining at the bathroom door every hour so I can turn the faucet on =P

I've taken to just refilling his water bowl a couple times a day with really cold water and a few ice cubes. It seems to be working, so maybe we can get this bath habit kicked ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:43 pm 
Active Forum Member

Don't forget to switch to stainless steel bowls too - the plastic ones can get really slimy at the bottom edges and they can't always be cleaned.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:10 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

I agree about not using plastic bowls. I use a ceramic large dog bowl for water since I have three dogs and it keeps it cool too.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:31 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Adam

Two of my dogs also are picky drinkers,and with Casey being ill I have to make sure he gets enough water. They love it when I fill a plastic fruit cup(the ones that Dole/DelMonte fruit come in) with cold water and 1 ice cube and hold it for them to drink out of-they feel so special when I do this. Kinda funny to see 3 tongues lapping out of a small cup! Casey loves yogurt, so I have been mixing a small amount of plain yogurt in with the water(its white but he loves it) several times daily so I know he is drinking enough. I also mix water in with their food.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

I have 3 going all the time

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 68.87 KiB | Viewed 6168 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:47 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi! This is my first post, although I have been viewing the forums almost every day since adopting my Cocker puppy Jennie almost 4 weeks ago.

I had a fountain just like Deb's for my cat but I also found it hard to maintain. Jennie doesn't like still water AT ALL and when I found her drinking out of the sprinkler, I knew I had to find a better option. I found the Raindrop water fountain at a major pet store and she LOVES it. It is stainless with a small plastic pump house that sits in the bottom beneath the lid. It came with an activated charcoal filter and is very easy to keep clean. I add ice-cubes to the bowl and they get pulled beneath the waterfall cover, so Jennie doesn't get to gobble them up. Sometimes she drinks from the bowl and sometimes from the stream.

Miss J will be 12 weeks old tomorrow and weighed in at 4.4 pounds this morning. She was 2.4 pounds when I brought her home and had very soft stools. I transitioned her from Kirkland puppy food to a grain free puppy food over a 2 week period. She is now eating and pooping really well. She is a little doll!

Attachments:
DSC00074 (640x480).jpg
DSC00074 (640x480).jpg [ 187.44 KiB | Viewed 4599 times ]
DSC00075 (640x480).jpg
DSC00075 (640x480).jpg [ 182.27 KiB | Viewed 4599 times ]

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:27 am 
Forum Legend

Yes she IS a little doll, Susan!! Welcome to the forum. Pictures on your first post gets lots of brownie points. You should head over to Cockers, cockers and more cockers and introduce yourself there, too. Jennie is simply adorable!

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl