An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Collar or harness for dog with back problems
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Can anyone recommend a collar or harnes for Zoey? She is now 8 and has back problems and I don't want her pulling on her collar. She doesn't pull like she used to, the vet recommended a pinch collar, but I have tried it and don't like it. I've also tried several harnesses also. But looking for something easy to put on, and comfortable for Zoey to wear.
Thanks

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

Post subject: Re: Collar or harness for dog with back problems
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:14 pm 
Active Forum Member

I use an EzyDog chest plate harness in the car for Jennie. I haven't tried to walk her with it, but it works great in the car. I have a tether that attaches to the car seat thing under the seat and then has a heavy-duty carabiner that clips to a ring on the back of the harness. What I especially like about it is that the two straps are separately adjustable so I can get the exact right fit. Jennie's chest is fairly narrow but very tall. A lot of the other harness' that I tried were not adjustable around the neck, so if I got the right size to fit around her chest the neck was too big.

Check out EzyDog.com and follow the link to harnesses. The one on the website is bright blue. Jennie's is a very pretty red.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:16 am 
Forum Legend

SusanT wrote:
I use an EzyDog chest plate harness in the car for Jennie. I haven't tried to walk her with it, but it works great in the car. I have a tether that attaches to the car seat thing under the seat and then has a heavy-duty carabiner that clips to a ring on the back of the harness. What I especially like about it is that the two straps are separately adjustable so I can get the exact right fit. Jennie's chest is fairly narrow but very tall. A lot of the other harness' that I tried were not adjustable around the neck, so if I got the right size to fit around her chest the neck was too big.

Check out EzyDog.com and follow the link to harnesses. The one on the website is bright blue. Jennie's is a very pretty red.

Thanks Susan, I have a similar harness but its such a hassle to buckle all the buckles and its heavy on Zoey, I'll try the ezydog one. I may try the stretchy leash too, Zoey doesn't really pull, unless she sees birds, she freezes and when the birds take off flying she charges and is determined to get a bird. I just don't want her to hurt her neck as sometimes she swings around on the leash when she charges the birds.
Becky

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:22 am 
Active Forum Member

Jennie does the same thing when she sees birds... especially if they are larger than a robin. We are experiencing sub-freezing temps right now (had a bit of snow earlier this month too) so I put up a feeder for the little birds. Jennie watches it from the back door all day and if a flicker or a blue jay gets on it, she is off to the races! She will chase them and bark until they leave the yard. It's so funny because the little birds are just fine.

When we walk I use a flexi leash and it works great for her. She is good at obeying most verbal commands so if she gets too far ahead of me I can say 'wait' and she will stop and let me catch up with her. She is so used to the light tension of the flexi leash that if I try to walk her with a standard leash she goes immediately to the end of it and pulls me down the block. I see other people walking with dogs that just walk right next to them, but I was never able to get Jennie to cooperate with that. She walks with her nose down and tail wagging and she will follow any interesting scent trail she can find!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers