An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: POTTY TRAINING TROUBLE!!
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:51 am 
Active Forum Member

So I am a 1st time dog owner.. which is why, I hope, Im having trouble training my Emma to go outside to use the potty/poop. She is 21 weeks and quickly becoming the love of my life lol!!! But I cant seem to get her to go outside everytime. She seems to get it but then loses it right away.
Any experienced owner have any much needed advice? Please!!

Post subject: Re: POTTY TRAINING TROUBLE!!
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:38 pm 
Forum Legend

Jennifer, I kind of had the same problem when I got my cocker years ago. She was kennel trained with other show cockers, but not taught training for the house. My cocker was a bit older, but they are pretty smart. My problem, and yours may be as well, that I took my cocker out every 30 minutes to get the pattern established, fully expecting her to pee and/or poop. She was a very low squatter, so I never really knew if she was peeing, but she got praised for it anyway and I used the "pee" word every time. You need to be aware of how much and when your cocker is drinking and eating to get an idea of how quickly it hits the other end, so to speak. If they don't have to go, they don't have to go, but keep up with the pattern of 30 minutes or whatever you are using and lengthen the time as you go. Praise with the words and a good treat.
My cocker had a sensative tummy and pooping seemed to happen whenever, but I think cockers poop maybe once or twice a day and I think that it can be learned.
Are you using a kennel inside or just letting her run in the house? Most of us agree that kennel bathroom training is better, but to each his/her own. Good luck.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm 
Forum Legend

Jennifer:

Read this post:

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums/ ... f=44&t=100

the other problem is that your dog's name is EMMA :ROFL . My dog's name is Emma, too, and she is a stubborn little pipsqueak. Seriously, consistency is KEY at this stage of training. Do the same thing ALL the time when training and don't deviate (for example, don't use puppy pads if it's raining outside and then expect her to know to go outside if it isn't raining - not that you're doing that). Just keep gently but firmly reinforcing what you want her to do and she'll get it.

We also bought Poochie Bells (you can get the at PetSmart) to hang on the door and taught her to use them when she wanted to go out. Our cocker was 15 months when we got her and NOT housetrained and it took her about 3 weeks to catch on. She now crashes into them (doesn't daintily ring them like I thought she would) when she wants to go outside. You might want to give them a try.

Would love to see a picture of your Emma. Go to Important notices and you'll see how to post a picture. BTW: This is in the "Products for Cockers" section and should be in training where more people will respond to it.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:16 am 
Forum Legend

Hey there! Welcome to the forum. Yes, the first order of business here is to post pictures! :lol2

Another thing that might be helpful in addition to the above answers is getting a cleaner specially formulated to remove the odor from previous indoor "accidents". If there is any carpet or absorbent material, just wiping or scrubbing it won't do. They are more likely to go inside if the smell of their achievements is not removed completely.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:41 pm 
Active Forum Member

Just my thoughts...
I completely agree with the bells on the door... I trained two cockers. My first one took to potty training with lots of praise and treats. Literally, after one week (he was so tiny!) he would just go sit by the front door when he needed to go out.

My second one took a YEAR before he was fully potty trained. I was seriously at my wits ends. I read somewhere to try the bells and it worked! The very first week he was ringing those bells (once again, lots of praise and treats) every time he needed to go out, and he usually did have to go. I just don't think he ever really knew how to tell me he needed to go out, so the bells were a lifesaver...literally. :lol2

It also helped to know their personalities... my Tucker (the older one) wouldn't go potty in the house in a million years because he wouldn't want to upset me. He also can hold it a lot longer. Maverick drinks SO MUCH WATER and needs to potty a lot more frequently... he doesn't wait for anyone! :dk