The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Where Does Your Cocker Live?
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:06 am 
Active Forum Member

So, yesterday I had an argument with a friend over the between dog houses and kennels. He was trying to convince me that Kennels are the best for my Cocker. But personally I've been a house guy for years. What's your advice?

Post subject: Re: Where Does Your Cocker Live?
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:22 am 
Forum Legend

You mean live permanently, all the time? Or just for short period of the day?

My opinion would be neither. A cocker, at least the american cocker spaniel, is not an outside dog. My cocker would be miserable, both physically and emotionally, outside. Their temperament is not suited to it, as far as I can see. Cici loves cooler temps, but she always wants to come back in and be with us. And in the heat, she would never make it.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:01 am 
Forum Legend

Cici wrote:
You mean live permanently, all the time? Or just for short period of the day?

My opinion would be neither. A cocker, at least the american cocker spaniel, is not an outside dog. My cocker would be miserable, both physically and emotionally, outside. Their temperament is not suited to it, as far as I can see. Cici loves cooler temps, but she always wants to come back in and be with us. And in the heat, she would never make it.

DITTO! I feel the same way about all breeds with very few exceptions.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:20 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I agree with Terry and Cici but no exceptions. If someone is going to own a dog they should be a member of the family. Unfortunately many folks don't feel the same way we do and do not care for their pets the way they should be.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:49 am 
Forum Legend

Sandy H wrote:
I agree with Terry and Cici but no exceptions. If someone is going to own a dog they should be a member of the family. Unfortunately many folks don't feel the same way we do and do not care for their pets the way they should be.

I was thinking more along the line of malimute or sled dogs, and even those I feel should be in some kind of a heated barn and not those terrible houses they currently use (some of which are just a few boards and straw). Hmm, which piggy was that?

Until we can change the thought process of human kind (wow, can you say oxymoran?), including farmers and ranchers (yes, I get the whole process). Nuff said. :wnk

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:55 am 
Forum Legend

Terry T. wrote:
Sandy H wrote:

I was thinking more along the line of malimute or sled dogs, and even those I feel should be in some kind of a heated barn and not those terrible houses they currently use (some of which are just a few boards and straw). Hmm, which piggy was that?

Until we can change the thought process of human kind (wow, can you say oxymoran?), including farmers and ranchers (yes, I get the whole process). Nuff said. :wnk

Yes, MAYBE sled dogs or collies. They work on farms and spend most of their day outside. They WANT to work and have tons of energy they need to burn of and I wouldn't want to leave them outside when it's time to rest, but at least they have the capacity to withstand it.

Dogs are pack animals. They want to be with their family. Packs stick together. We also forget that WE bred these dog breeds and it was not part of natural evolution. So while they do share a lot of traits with a wolf or wild dog, we bred them to have long, floppy ears, fur that never stops growing (cockers) or flat noses (bulldogs that have trouble breathing and cooling off), long, ridiculous back and short legs (dachsunds who have back troubles) and WE are responsible for giving them a life that offers companionship and safety.

I would put some family members outside before my dog....lol :tg

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:11 pm 
Active Forum Member

My Jennie loves to be outside... as long and the front door is open so she can come in whenever she likes! I have a doggie door to the back yard but it isn't nearly as interesting as what is going on out front.

Seriously, my mom's old neighbor had a West Highland White Terrier and a Collie. Both dogs spent all day outside in all kinds of weather and all night in the unheated garage. No dog beds... they slept on a pile of newspapers waiting to be recycled. One day they found the Westie curled up underneath the grill, dead. It was a freezing cold, wet winter day. The mom kept telling everyone that he 'must have been poisoned' but they didn't ask for a necropsy. I have no doubt he died of exposure compounded by a broken heart. Maybe if they had a small dog house for him, he would have made it? He could have stayed drier and his body heat may have kept a small dog house warm enough. Of course, these are the same people who had the Collie but to sleep because it was too much trouble to groom her. :bang

My uncle raised Springer Spaniels and they all spent the days outside and the nights sleeping on the top step of the basement stairs. They live on an older farm, so the basement has no heat and constant access to outside. Even as a child, I felt bad for the dogs that they weren't ever allowed in the house, so I would go sit on the steps with them. My uncle even named one "Susie" after me.

So, all in all, I agree with Cici's mom. Jennie is a member of my family and that means she lives in the house with me and gets to play outside as much as she wants.

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:50 pm 
Forum Legend

Where do my cockers live? Let's see... on my bed, on the loveseat, on their big cushy bed where they like to snuggle up together in the winter when it's cooler... I have one who prefers to sleep in a crate in the corner of my bedroom at night, totally her choice, door is never closed... underfoot, lol!!

Seriously, cocker spaniels are Not outdoor dogs. They live to share space with their people, and most truly enjoy the company of another cocker/dog.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

They weren't bred for guard dogs and not farm dogs, they always stayed 24/7 with their owners,after helping with the hunt they needed to be groomed to remove all the thorns from their coat, none healthy cocker = no food :OMY