An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Safe Car Travel with a Cocker Spaniel Puppy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

I will (hopefully!) be bringing home a cocker spaniel puppy this spring and I am delighted! This will not be my first cocker spaniel (I have had two others before), but this is the first time I have owned a cocker spaniel and lived two hours from family. The new puppy and I will travel between 6-8 times per year to visit family and I need to figure out a safe, comfortable way to do this.

For those who have traveled in the car with their cocker spaniels, what products have you used to keep them safe and comfortable? I have looked at booster seats, harnesses, and travel crates and my head is spinning! Specific product recommendations are particularly welcome!

Post subject: Re: Safe Car Travel with a Cocker Spaniel Puppy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:30 pm 
Active Forum Member

Congratulations on your puppy! It was almost a year ago that we brought home our Lola and I remember the excitement and agonizing wait as if it were yesterday. Good luck and I hope your breeder is as wonderful as ours was and sends photos and videos frequently!

We travel long distances with Lola in her regular crate. I set it up in the back seat next to my daughter and they are both as happy as clams. I used seatbelts with my previous dogs but they always seemed to pop open or the metal buckles would bend so I gave them up. Perhaps products have improved over time and others on the forum could suggest the latest seat belt attachment for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:45 pm 
Forum Legend

I bought a new Kia Soul and got a second cocker within a weeks' time. I want the dogs to be comfortable and safe in the car, and Cricket is only comfortable in a crate. So I bought two Noz2Noz Soft Crates for my girls for the car. They sit on the back seat and fit perfectly side by side, between the front and back seat. They have zippered openings on the top, one side, and one end, so I'm able to turn one around and have each open to a door; I load one dog on each side of the car. They fold quickly and easily if I have additional passengers and need to use the back seat, a big bonus is that I don't have dog hair floating around in my car. And it's really great to already have crates if we get somewhere that I need to contain them for a while, like at my mom's while we eat dinner. I shopped around and talked to lots of people, these were recommended by a couple of people who travel extensively with their dogs and had tried other options. I'm really happy with them. They were a bit pricey, but I ended up ordering them from Amazon and they were about 50% less than the retail prices I was seeing in stores and at the shows here in California.

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:02 am 
Forum Legend

I use a harness and buckle it to the seat belt, but it can be problematic. On several occasions Gromit has somehow stepped over the strap between the harness and the seat belt, and got herself twisted up. I've had to basically unbuckle her, straighten the harness, and then re buckle her. So my recommendation is a crate!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:22 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have used a seatbelt in the past,but am going to change to a crate after watching " marketplace" who tested a number of seat belts in a lab test. All of them failed causing the stuffed dog to fly around the inside of the car.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you, everyone! I will check out all of the options!

I cannot wait until my new little one arrives! The litter is due on March 10th!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

I like using the harness and seat belt for Jennie. She wails like a banshee when crated in the car, but goes right to sleep on the back seat when in her harness.

Forbes did an article on the crash tests with links to the actual report. Here's the link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahellio ... -your-dog/

The one problem I've found with harnesses is that Jennie is narrow through the shoulder and ribs compared to her length, so unless the harness is adjustable at both the shoulder and the rib cage, it ends up being too big at the shoulders. Jennie used a small Kurgo Adventure harness as a puppy, but the medium size was huge around the neck and shoulders so I had to switch. The medium harness fits my cousin's cocker perfectly and she loves it.

I found a harness that is adjustable in both places and included a tether to be attached to the child safety seat clip in newer cars. That means I can leave the tether in place all the time and any human passengers can still use the seatbelts. The harness they recommend connects to the car seat clips on either side of the dog so the pup can't get turned around or tangled up in the tether.

I priced the ones that they recommend and they were over $90.00. I couldn't find them anywhere that I could buy them in person and I haven't decided whether I want to upgrade from the Bergan harness that I have now (which didn't do that well in the test).

Good luck!

Mom to Jennie, born 4/24/2014, Gotcha Day 6/20/2014
Gone, but not forgotten: Honey, Punkin, Lady, Dusty and Chief

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers