Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: The Little Cocker That Could
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:24 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

I am super proud of my dog Jack Jack (Ch Ch (A) Calla's All Bets On KLAD PCD, Am RN, Can RA, SD-A (SP), CRN-CL, CRNT, ITD (Cocker Spaniel). In September 2014 Jack Jack had an idiopathic (no known cause) facial paralysis. This isn't uncommon in Cockers, as the facial nerve can get damaged from inflammation in the ear. Unfortunately, this impacted Jack's ability to do nosework, which he had previously been quite successful at. He would search and search and search without being able to locate the hot scent. Reluctantly I decided to stop training and competing, as he would get so frustrated at knowing that the odour was there and that he couldn't find it.

In July 2015 I was trial secretary for a nosework trial (Sporting Detection Dogs Association in Canada) and watching all of the dogs compete successfully inspired me to enter Jack. Much to my surprise, he passed two of the three components required to earn a title with the SDDA. His searches weren't pretty, but he got it done.

In September 2015 I entered one day of a trial, in hopes of passing that last component. That day was a bust, as we failed all three components. It seemed like he would start out nicely and then quickly get mentally tired from the searching. I decided to take another break (enforced by a lack of reasonably local trials) and reassess in a few months.

This weekend I was again trial secretary for an SDDA nosework trial. I hemmed and hawed about entering Jack this weekend, trying to decide if it would be too much for him. I finally decided that if the trial didn't fill, I'd enter him. I don't regret it. At all.

First we ran containers. He did beautifully, giving me a confident alert on the first one and then moving along smoothly to the second one. I was thrilled with the success. Then we ran interiors, and I was nervous. This was our missing component - the one that could earn us the title if we passed. He found the first hide very quickly, and I breathed a bit easier. When he found the second hide with confidence, my eyes teared up. When I called the alert and the judge said yes I scooped up my dog to shower him with kisses. I cried a bit, knowing we had passed an obstacle that had felt insurmountable only minutes prior. When we ran exteriors, all pressure was off. As far as I was concerned, the dog didn't need to do any more than he already had. But I guess he wanted me to know that retirement is out of the question. He nailed his hide in just 12.12 seconds. I cried more. He had earned his SD-A (Sporting Detection Advanced) with the Special (SP) designation, indicating that he had passed all three components on the same day. I was on top of the world.

During awards, I was over the moon at the knowledge that we'd be getting a new title rosette. I had no idea what was to come . . . . we took 1st in Containers with a perfect score. We took 1st in Interiors (our nemesis!) and then we took 1st in Exteriors with a second perfect score. We were the #1 Advanced Dog in the Amateur stream, and we ended the day as the Best Overall In Trial. I've never won a High in Trial or a Best in Show, but I can only imagine that this is what it feels like. I am still floating and I hope I never come down off Cloud 9.

On Sunday I ran Jack Jack in the Working stream (which is for professional detection dog handlers as well as for people that have earned their Amateur title). He passed in all three elements again, taking 4th in Containers, 2nd in Interiors and 1st in Exteriors with a perfect score and a time of only 9.15 seconds. He ended up taking 2nd Overall in the Working stream, beating out some very talented dogs. For the advanced titles (like SD-Ch and MACH) he has to earn a number of titling scores (which means passing all three elements) and some of them need to be Gold scores of 96% or higher. Well, his Advanced titling score from yesterday was his first Gold score.

I look at my little dog and am so proud of what we have accomplished. After attending a 2 day seminar on nosework over three years ago, everything else we’ve done has been at home, with me muddling through. And still, he shines. Imagine what we could accomplish with some real training ;)

So that’s it in a nutshell. The Little Cocker That Could is his new nickname.

Post subject: Re: The Little Cocker That Could
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:20 pm 
Forum Legend

Aw, Kelly! Jack Jack is an awesome dog, and You are an awesome trainer! ALL of your dogs work so beautifully for you! They just show their little hearts out to please (their mom) You!!
:wav :wav :wav :wav

CONGRATULATIONS!

:Clap :Clap :YAY :Clap :YAY :Clap :YAY :Clap :YAY :Clap :YAY :Clap :YAY :Clap :YAY :Clap :YAY :Clap :YAY

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

Post subject: Re: The Little Cocker That Could
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:07 pm 
Forum Legend

You are just bursting with pride and rightly so! Sounds like an amazing accomplishment. Relish the moment :Clap :Clap :YAY :joy