Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Naughty cocker spaniel won OTCH pts -- By Louie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:27 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi All,
It is Louie :sun here. I went to Bremerton with my whole pack to celebrate my younger brother Bullitt's retirement on Friday.

On Saturday and Sunday, Cherry Pie and Mom got to show in obedience. Miss Cherry Pie is currently pursuing for a Utility Excellent UDX title. To get that title, you need 10 double-Q in Utility B and Open B.

Last October and November, Cherry Pie got 5 straight Utility B Q's and passed the individual part of Open B fast times too. The first four time, she was tripped up by the stay exercise. But she did earned her first ever UDX leg last November.

Since then, Cherry Pie has butt-slammed herself into a Christmas tree and took her out of competition for 3 months.

A couple weeks ago, Mom and Cherry braved the Seattle Kennel Club show in both classes. Seattle Kennel Club show is definitely one of the most distracting show ever. I actually flunked Rally Novice in 2010 after my Butthead Mom did four rally signs on the wrong side of the signs at that show. Due to human error in Utility and dog lying down during sit-stay in Open, Seattle Kennel Club was fruitless for them. Cherry and my Mom both called club meetings that day. The crowd was well entertained by Cherry Pie's antics.

There were two shows on Saturday and one show on Sunday.

On Saturday, at the first show, Mom called a human Butthead Club meeting by over-scenting both articles. She celebrated too early and thought that she had the Q in her pocket. Cherry Pie "never" misses scent article was her mantra. Mom had been rusty with the scenting as they haven't shown since November. And with the new rules in place, she accidentally put on 7 extra rubs!!!!! The target articles were so offensive that Cherry went and grabbed one that was the furthest from it both times! Mom was SHOCKED! Thank god that Aunt Elizabeth and Aunt Michelle talked some senses into her and listed the possible reasons of failure. Mom then made Dad curate a pristine set of articles from the spares and the untouched ones for the afternoon show.

Before the second show, Aunt Cherrie came by and put acupuncture needles in Mom to bring her back to life. She had food poisoning the night before and was still in Butthead mode. I am pretty sure that Mom was smarter after that.

In the afternoon, Cherry Pie and Mom put up their best Utility B performance to date. They won first place out of a class of 7 dogs (8 dogs entered, but one withdrew due to injury). So Cherry Pie has 4 Obedience Trial Championship OTCH points!!!!! Then Aunt Michelle reminded Mom that she could win High Combined.

The nice judge put up a very tricky course in Open B. He had people throwing the retrieve over flat along a narrow strip next to the high jump and the drop-on-recall was done along that strip too. He was testing the understanding of the dog to discriminate between the difference of the flat vs over-the-high. And he was also testing the dog on drop-on-recall that they were not supposed to take the jump. Cherry Pie (thanks to Aunt Diane) was well proof in those areas. She ended up as the lone qualifying dog after she held her sit and down stays. There are not enough dogs in Open B to award any OTCH points.

Cherry Pie got OTCH points and won High Combined at an All Breed Show. That was also her second UDX leg.

So she now has 2/10 UDX legs. 4/100 OTCH points. One 1st place in Utility with more than 3 dogs toward the OTCH requirement. She also qualified for the Eukanuba Obedience Classic as a UD dog with 6 or more Q's in Utility A or B (in her case all B classes) within the qualifying period.

Cherry ate a 3oz steak after the Open B class. The entertainment came later during the HC win photo with the nice Judge Denis. Mom said that Cherry Pie was probably the naughtiest dog in the HC photo shoot in AKC history. She had to be held by the collar for the photo as she REALLY, REALLY want to say hi to the photographer! :gig

Louie Lou :sun

Cherry UDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10

Post subject: Re: Naughty cocker spaniel won OTCH pts -- By Louie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:04 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Really nice job Cherry Pie and Stella . . . Utility is HARD . . . they call it Futility for a reason! It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I watched Utility B yesterday at the show I was at, and it was a blood bath. Experienced dogs missed things like signals, articles, etc. Anybody that perseveres with the training deserves kudos. It's not easy. I am SOOOOOO proud to see a Cocker working at that level . . . our breed is great for that kind of thing (and also for creatively executing the exercises LOL)