Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Barn Hunt, a new sniffing adventure - By Reporting Louie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:46 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi, it is Louie here!

As you know, this summer, my daddy and I went to the Sil Sanders tracking seminar. Despite my lack of aptitude to be a traditional obedience show dog, I was deemed gifted at tracking at the age of 12 1/2. And the general consensus is that the spaniels make the humans look good in tracking and anything with sniffing. While at the seminar, daddy learned about a new sniffing sports called “Barn Hunt” and acquainted with one of the judges at the Enumclaw Barn Hunt Trial.

Somehow, my two legged parents thought that Heidi and I could do well in it. So Heidi and I were entered at the Barn Hunt Instinct Test at Enumclaw. According to the terrier owners, we could just show up and do it as long as the humans read up on the rules.

At the instinct test, there will be straw bales surrounding three unhidden tubes. Only one tube has real rats in it. One of them is empty and the other one has rat bedding and poop. The dog is expected to be encouraged to go to the tubes and sniff at them. Depending on the dog’s action, the human is responsible on calling out to the judge which tube has rats in it within 1 minute. In other words, the humans listen to the dogs in this sports, which is my strength. But peeing and pooping is not allowed and will result in disqualification.

So the ring gate closed. Daddy took of my leash and I ran naked. The smell of the straw bales was overwhelming. I could smell the pee mail in the air. There are many messages left by other naughty dogs of the past. The girl dogs smelled very nice. I rounded a corner and saw the judge. I wanted to say hi, but she ignored me. Then I caught a riff of the pee mail in the area and I lifted my leg. Before I knew it, I was carried out of the ring. I was not even given the chance to use my gifted sniffers.

Then my “sister” Heidi got to run the same course. Daddy really had very high expectation of her as she likes to chase birds, planes, and squirrels. The show secretary reminded my parents that chasing moving animals is different from sniffing out stationary rats. Without fail, Heidi went straight to the tube that had rats in it. She did not barked at it. So daddy was confused and did not know what to do. He asked her to sniff the other tubes. She was not interested in other tubes but complied. But daddy called the wrong tube and resulted in an NQ. Heidi was encouraged to do another run and she did. However, since she was not rewarded during the first run for finding the right tube, she was not particularly interested in it any more. She would need to go to “Barn Hunt Clinics” to improve her drive to find rats if she wanted to pass the instinct test.

My mother said, “If I had to shape her to like it, it is not instinct. I might as well sahpe her to do scent discrimination in Utility Obedience.” I believe my mother just compared herself to a rat.

And I did get to run the course again, but the urge to reply to the pee mails was simply too strong and I got carried out again.

Cherry UDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10

Post subject: Re: Barn Hunt, a new sniffing adventure - By Reporting Louie
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:14 pm 
Forum Legend

Louie,

What do they expect? You get to go tracking where it is fine to pee in the field and then they take you into a barn with dried field grass expect you not to pee on the straw bales :dk .

Colleen K

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:12 pm 
Forum Legend

Aunt Colleen,
I believe my dad needs to be nominated to join the Human Butthead Club for wanting me to barn hunt and expecting me to not pee on stuff.

Louie Lou :sun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:35 am 
Active Forum Member

Louie,

If I were you, I'd have peed on every hay bale corner. Keep up the good Butthead Club work!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:21 pm 
Forum Legend

Aunt Lizzy,
I would have lifted on every single bale had I not been carried out.

After all, it is only polite for me to reply to pee mails.

Louie Lou :sun