The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: I am officially gifted at sniffing!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:19 pm 
Forum Legend

My dearest fellow Buttheads,
It is Louie here. After being called a goofball and being overshadowed by the girls in this house, my human parents have finally found my true calling.

Papa took me to Tracking Camp last weekend for 4 days in a row. By the end of it, teacher said that I am gifted (actually so did my last teacher) and I am a natural in urban tracking. I tracked up to 280 yards downwind in the field today. The rewards were very far apart and I just kept sniffing. I guess Solo must be cheering me on.

Mom used to correct me for sniffing in obedience. Now the table turned and Papa had to listen to my sniffers.

That said, as a co-founder of the Butthead Club, I had to pull some stuns too. Last Friday, teacher actually started me at level 3 because he saw my video of finding mama's car at the National park and I had some lawn tracking experience before. But as soon as I went out to the field, I could smell all the animals and the girls simply smelled so good! I lost my mind and got bumped back to level 1. :goof Then I had to regain my ground when we did urban tracking in the afternoon. The whole weekend was fun. And I got cranky in the afternoon today. So they put me to work. I was in charge of contaminating a trail for a TDX dog. So I pooped on it and he could smell it upwind!

I guess no matter where I go, my goofy reputation precedes me. One of my classmate's mom was looking for an instructor in Oregon. Teacher suggested the esteemed obedience Judge Jill Jones. Papa mentioned that I once got a second place in Beginner Novice at the GSD specialty under Judge Jones. And everybody laughed their butt off. Hey, I do obedience when I feel like it too.

Louie, lifetime member of "the" Club :sun
PS Dr Min told Mom that I probably don't have cancer or Cushing's.

Cherry UDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10

Post subject: Re: I am officially gifted at sniffing!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:56 am 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Hey bro, your fellow butthead Jack Jack here. I am also gifted at sniffing! After my mom spending years trying to get me to STOP pulling on the leash and smelling everything, now that's what she tells me to do. Talk about mixed signals! Sounds like your tracking camp was pretty awesome . . . I did one of those once, but I prefer nosework.

Way to contaminate that track . . . inspired genius, that's what that was!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Louie,

I'm so happy you've found your true calling. Keep up the butthead work; to quote Jack Jack, that stunt was genius!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Louie,
I'm sure Solo and Rosey were cheering you on at Sil's camp. They went to a seminar he did in Las Vegas, but they never got to go up to Washington for his camps.

I'm glad you liked tracking and hope you will continue to work at it. And I agree with everyone else that pooping on the track was a good way to contaminate it.

BTW--Pooping/peeing on your track is NOT a disqualification in tracking. Rosey always, and Solo to a lesser extent, would pee along the track to mark where they had gone and to indicate where the hot scent was.

I hope to get to see you track sometime,

Colleen K

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:11 pm 
Forum Legend

Colleen,
I am sure Solo and Rosey were both cheering the FBL on. BTW, Louie would have definitely asked Rosey out on a date had he been given a chance.

We are going to practice this weekend. Hope to get him to a trial some time next year.

- Stella

Cherry UDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10