The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: What do you feed your dogs?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:54 pm 
Active Forum Member

I just brought Brody home from the vet. NEW vet that I liked alot. I have fed Brody Taste of the Wild and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul mixed together for variety. She said Costco carries a Diamond Company dogfood that is made by TOTW, and is pretty much the same thing. Anyone else know this? I am going to take a label with me to Costco, and do some label checking there. I have also been feeding a 'raw' diet here and there as I can afford it, alternating the meals and/or treats with his kibble. He will eat ANYTHING and loves EVERYTHING, so he doesn't care. He's just as excited with kibble as with a chicken neck. My question is, has anyone else's dog gotten hotspots from eating this type of diet? I got the idea on this forum, and he has done well on it, except for the hotspot now, on his tail. Licked it til it was raw. He has his meds now, (which he eats without disguising it) and a cone, but was wondering if I should switch FROM chicken to something else? The vet is NOT accepting of the RAW diet, of course, and says NO bones, as she sees dogs with broken teeth because of them, but he lOVES his chicken! Any suggestions? I love everyones' ideas and inspiration, and love seeing your dog photos. Thank you in advance. There may be even just ONE tidbit of info that will help! (p.s. The vet said Brody's ears are the healtiest she's ever seen, and asked what I do. I told her about the Zim recipe! He gets some EVERY friday, and has since I got him!)

Attachments:
phpWVXyy7PMavatarbluecone.jpg
phpWVXyy7PMavatarbluecone.jpg [ 34 KiB | Viewed 777 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:43 pm 
Forum Legend

You know there are another kinds of raw diet, you can find it in the pet store freezer. One should be in a three pound bag or you can find freeze dried dog food and just add water. Safe bet raw turkey necks or chicken feet, Oliver gets a chicken thigh at times. I timed the bone consumption at one and a half minutes, gone!

Please read your labels this is Primal Raw Frozen.

Ingredients: Lamb Hearts, Lamb Livers, Ground Lamb Bones, Organic Kale, Organic Carrots, Organic Yams, Organic Broccoli, Organic Apples, Cranberries, Blueberries, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Copper Carbonate, Sodium Selenite), Organic Parsley, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Salmon Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder, Dried Organic Kelp, Alfalfa, Natural Vitamin E.

Canine Lamb Formula Benefits:
Fresh lamb for superior levels of amino and essential fatty acids.
Finely ground, fresh lamb bones for optimum levels of calcium.
Organic produce for food-derived vitamins A, B-complex, C and D.
Cold-water salmon oil for essential omega-3 fatty acids.
Organic and unrefined nutritional supplements for digestion and circulation.
Vitamin E as an antioxidant.
Organic coconut oil for linolenic fatty acids.

This comes in one ounce bricks, about six a day, the bag is three pounds. It' your choice just look around. Freeze dried or frozen have no preservatives in it. In San Jaun who knows what is down there?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:09 pm 
Active Forum Member

I just spent the last 3 hours reading about different raw foods, freeze dried foods, etc. Tomorrow, I'm heading out to see what can be found in my area. Right now, Brody is on Raw in the evening and TOTW in the morning, but he's still scratching. The foot licking has stopped though. yay!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:14 pm 
Active Forum Member

My 8 yr old cocker continues to scratch her muzzle her sides & corn-cobs(biting) her hind legs & & if so to what? Should I cut out all treats?...............Please Help, I amquarters. Is this alergie related to food or season alergies? Should I change her food getting very disgusted.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:24 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

siblis wrote:
My 8 yr old cocker continues to scratch her muzzle her sides & corn-cobs(biting) her hind legs & & if so to what? Should I cut out all treats?...............Please Help, I amquarters. Is this alergie related to food or season alergies? Should I change her food getting very disgusted.

Every dog is different. There is no one food right for all. I would start by going grain free ... food and treats. This has come on so quickly that I doubt it is food related in an eight year old dog IF she didn't have problems before. IF you haven't taken her to a vet, I would strongly suggest that you do. Three months is a very long time for a dog to be itching and scratching without some relief. If it were my dog, I'd see a vet and ask for a complete blood workup to rule out something that may be easy to address.

Quality, two-sided bandanas for your treasured companion.
Made in the
USA under the direct supervision of
Genuine American Cocker Spaniels!