The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: What do you feed your dogs?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:11 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hello Folks! I am just wondering what everyone has recently or is currently feeding their dogs. Brands change formulas surprisingly often, which can be difficult for dogs and us!
I have had trouble with the super-premium brands, unfortunately, and although I supplement all of my dogs diets daily with raw meats, canned salmon and mackerel, when it comes to kibble, I have better results with brands like Royal Canin, Science Diet and Nutro Natural Choice. I have not tried Natural Balance with them, but I have been considering it...it seems to be formulated for sensitive stomachs. I have one dog in particular that is super sensitive when it comes to kibble, yet he can eat raw, fresh food without any problems at all.

I appreciate any input, thanks a bunch!
Regina & Woodrow :sml

Post subject: Re: What do you feed your dogs?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:03 pm 
Forum Legend

I'm feeding Cricket kibble that I buy at Costco in a 35 lb bag: Nature's Domain, Salmon & Sweet Potatoes, $32.99. It is totally grain-free, has antioxidants, omegas, etc. no by-products. It's pretty high in protein, 24%. She gets a cup a day, half in the morning and half at night. I didn't really select it- it's what her foster mom feeds all her dogs, so Cricket had it for 2.5 years before she came to live with me. She's very healthy, high energy and happy, so I've continued it.
(plus I'm pleased with the price. The food I fed my last dog cost almost 4x that much!)

--------------
PS - I know "food" can be a touchy subject- let's all play nice :YAY

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:13 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

My crew gets the Costco Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato as well, and have been eating this for 2 years or more. They get 1/2 cup twice a day. I will transition Echo over to this food as well.
I also add some pieces of raw cut up beef or cooked chicken and some Wild Salmon Oil at their evening meal.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:24 pm 
Forum Legend

There are freeze dry fresh dog foods, just add water they claim eight pound bag equals a forty pound bag. Then you have fresh frozen call Primal. This is very high end. I give it frozen it's in small to medium size brick he eats it like a bone. Then he has his kibble. Studying dog foods dry kibble is very hard on liver and kidneys. With wet food drinking water intake goes way down.

I'm not afraid of FEEDING a raw chicken foot or a turkey necks. All this is what a dog would eat in the wild. Great for their joints and teeth. Then some Celtic sea salt in his water. All of this is on the net.

GOOGLE: FREEZE DRIED DOG FOOD

PRIMAL is a five star dog food.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:57 pm 
Active Forum Member

Great! Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I have seen Nature's Domain at Costco, and have been attracted to the ingredient list and especially the price. Good to hear that some of your dogs have been eating this for years with excellent results!
I have seen heard of the dehydrated raw foods that available now, I have never bought it, but it sounds interesting. I have a great source for raw dog food, they have almost everything from the most ordinary meats to the most exotic. I just don't have it in my budget to feed 4 dogs (and two of them are very large) solely this diet.
Looking forward to more responses... :bg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:36 pm 
Forum Legend

Oliver gets Taste of the Wild. Being a Cocker, he seems to just gobble up whatever I put in front of him...but we visited family for the holidays, and his Taste of the Wild food was causing major food aggression with the other (normally friendly) dogs in the house! It was verrrrry clear that in terms of taste, Taste of the Wild is apparently high up on the list. :lol2 The ingredients list is also decent and the price isn't bad...especially if you can get it on sale. Not quite as cheap as Costco, but I rarely head that direction...and living in the city, it's just more practical to have my big bags of dog food delivered for free.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

I feed my cocker a raw diet from a company here in NB canada called Totally Raw Dog Food (I know....very original!! lol). I started in November 2012 and have had great results from it. Maya is a chocolate american cocker spaniel, 1 1/2 yrs old and has no health issues. Even with her being very healthy, we have seen great results with the raw only diet......her coat is super silky, shiny, soft and has "no" doggy smell to it, her teeth are almost pearl white with no more tartar (almost because she's only had 5 bone days so far!! we're almost there though...), she no longer has bad breath, she poops once a day (after 4-5 days, poop turns to white dust....awesome!!), she's still full of energy and she's the picture perfect dog.....to me anyways!!! hahaha Before she was on taste of the wild.....

Hope this helps.....good luck!!
Jocelyne & Maya

Maya (chocolate brown cocker) June 3rd 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:04 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

I feed Nature's Variety Instinct raw and supplement with Wellness Simple lamb. They do wonderfully on the raw but it gets rather expensive feeding three dogs. So raw for breakfast and kibble for dinner. :th-up

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

I didn't think you could or should feed dogs raw and kibble? But maybe I'm mistaking....I'm just a newby at this raw diet....

Maya (chocolate brown cocker) June 3rd 2011

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 pm 
Forum Legend

I think its okay at seperate meals, but NOT mixed in the same meal :dk
Jocelyne in Canada wrote:
I didn't think you could or should feed dogs raw and kibble? But maybe I'm mistaking....I'm just a newby at this raw diet....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:30 am 
Forum Legend

Jocelyne in Canada wrote:

debbiefive is right, all the information I found about feeding raw said it was ok to feed raw and kibble but since raw is digested a lot faster, they should be fed at separate meals.

Charlie used to be on Nature's Variety but it did not agree with his IBD. I wanted to try Totally Raw Dog Food (because I love knowing the ingredients are from around here), but I followed the vet's advice and tried Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Moderate Calories and it got a lot better. Then I added a little bit of Honest Kitchen Perfect Form herbal supplement and that was our magic formula. This is what he's been on since last June/July and Charlie's *Perfect* :gig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:09 am 
Forum Legend

Last night my Oliver's meal mixed in the blinder, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, green beans, snap peas, a tablespoon of OACV blended all of that together added 1/2 pound of raw ground bison blended again into a blob.

I didn't give him enough as this should last about three to four days, those big brown eyes said I'm still hungry. I gave him some kibble, Newman, fromm, Epigen starch free. He's still alive. Did use the Primal on Friday night.

Mostly AM one egg cooked, fish oil, tablespoon of milled flax seed, finish off with some kibble.

Yesterday AM he had one frozen turkey neck that was enough. You get three or four turkey necks about three and a half dollars. Saves on teeth cleaning.

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:04 pm 
Forum Legend

I swear by The Honest Kitchen Embark:

http://fidoseofreality.com/is-your-dog-food-from-an-honest-kitchen/

Dog mom to:
Dexter James, CGC: Spunkball of life and love; born 09/06/08
Brandy Noel: Forever mighty dog; 10/17/93 - 10/11/08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Sunny has had gastro issues ever since he came to us in Sept.
He was on Nutro grain free then. The vet switched him to Royal Canin intestinal fat free, which didn't help.
We did the rice and chicken, and I added unsweetened pumpkin, but it was still a roller coaster. :dk
:idea: Finally, last week, I switched him to Blue Buffalo grain free plus the pumpkin. :th-up Working great so far !

Patti B

Ryan------1999-2012---Our first foster.
Rowdy----1986-1997---Our 2nd rescue.
Buffy----- 1986-1996---Our 1st rescue.
Pokey-----My sons' childhood Cocker.
Poochie---My childhood Cocker.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:59 pm 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

I feed Farley and Grace a Canadian food - it's a Salmon and Potato formula for less active dogs and dogs with sensitive skin. For the life of me, I can NOT remember the name of it right now.

Jack Jack eats Acana Duck & Bartlett Pear. It's not grain-free, as his stomach is too sensitive for grain-free, but it is a limited ingredient diet. He does very well on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:35 am 
Forum Legend

KLADCkrs wrote:
Jack Jack eats Acana Duck & Bartlett Pear. It's not grain-free, as his stomach is too sensitive for grain-free, but it is a limited ingredient diet. He does very well on it.

I remember you saying this to me last summer when I was trying to find something that would work for Charlie. I might try Acana next summer to see how he would do on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:49 am 
Active Forum Member

Natural Balance Bison and Sweet Potato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 am 
Active Forum Member

I feed Blue Buffalo, fish and potato or lamb and rice/oatmeal.
I can't ever do chicken, not even treats, as they are allergic to it. So for treats they get apples, carrots, green beans, bananas, with the carrots being their favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:06 am 
Active Forum Member

I've been feeding Hannah Blue Buffalo lamb plus a homemade food for breakfast. She loves it and does great. Now that we've got Oscar we're switching to Costco food because he's such a pig.

The homemade food I do starts out with lean meat (typically beef or chicken), carrots, potatoes, yams, peas, lentils, eggs, kale and either oatmeal or quinoa. Its the same formula, minus the meat, that my amazon has been getting for years. Lol. I just make a huge batch, split it up, add meat for the dogs and corn for the bird. I typically do about three weeks worth at a time and freeze. They all get this for breakfast.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:14 am 
Active Forum Member

I feed Natural Balance Duck and Potato. I started to feed this when one of my rescues reacted severely to the food I was feeding. I have one rescue that came to me on Taste of the Wild Prairie. I had never fed this before but she does well on it. Each dog is different so you might have to try several before you find what is right for yours.

Lynette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 am 
Active Forum Member

ummbnb wrote:
I've been feeding Hannah Blue Buffalo lamb plus a homemade food for breakfast. She loves it and does great. Now that we've got Oscar we're switching to Costco food because he's such a pig.

The homemade food I do starts out with lean meat (typically beef or chicken), carrots, potatoes, yams, peas, lentils, eggs, kale and either oatmeal or quinoa. Its the same formula, minus the meat, that my amazon has been getting for years. Lol. I just make a huge batch, split it up, add meat for the dogs and corn for the bird. I typically do about three weeks worth at a time and freeze. They all get this for breakfast.

That sounds really good! How do you prepare the mixture? In a crock pot?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:41 am 
Active Forum Member

Lynette in TX wrote:
I feed Natural Balance Duck and Potato. I started to feed this when one of my rescues reacted severely to the food I was feeding. I have one rescue that came to me on Taste of the Wild Prairie. I had never fed this before but she does well on it. Each dog is different so you might have to try several before you find what is right for yours.

Lynette

Thanks for the input! I have fed NB , not the duck, but the Venison formula and also the Fish formula. It's been years, though, so I have not ever fed it to the two youngest dogs we have, only the two older girls. They did pretty well on it actually, as I recall.

I have just switched everyone over to Nutro Natural Choice, I bought one large bag of the Chicken, Brown Rice and Oatmeal which everyone has been doing well on. But, I think the Lamb & Rice formula was what I used to feed 18 or 20 years ago, so I bought a couple of bags of that, one Large Breed and one Small Bites, for Woodrow. They love it and the clean up is easy! :bg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 am 
Active Forum Member

Long time no post
Chicken fresh with skin and diced,sweet potato, butternut squash,cubed brown bread, broccoli, carrot, grated cheddar cheese. dash of healthy oil. You can loose the brown bread if problems with grain but be sure to add bone meal. it's in order of greatest first.
Even premium kibble is over processed crap that a dogs organs are working over time to extract the nutrients. If your dog has soft stools add some quaker oats just before serving,
Order of best way to feed your dog freshest first:
Raw (not frozen raw)
Home cooked (not frozen)
Canned food
Kibble (last and least)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

Regina wrote:
ummbnb wrote:

That sounds really good! How do you prepare the mixture? In a crock pot?

Just on the stove top. If I were cooking just for the dogs I'd start by sauting the meat and then add in everything else but since it doubles as food for the parrot, I saute the meat on the side and add it in the dog half at the end.

Cook the lentils in chicken broth about half way and then add in the diced veggies. When just shy of being completely cooked add in quiona or oatmeal to soak up the remaining liquid. Add water if needed. Once the quinoa or oatmal is done crack in four to six eggs and stir well. Let cool and portion out in muffin tins. Freeze then store in freezer bags.

It takes me about an hour from start to finish.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:27 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you! I think I will give it a try! I loved lentils as a child, but haven't really added them to my diet as an adult, I know that they are extremely healthy for us and our dogs!
I remember reading a post on another forum that was written by a young woman from Tibet, and she was trying to find a dry dog food that was readily available in her region of the world. Really, she could get Purina Dog Chow and maybe Pedigree? She stated that all the PET dogs were fed the same as their people. Dairy products, rice, vegetables and lentils. Meat was a luxury, and not fed to the dogs. Their dogs lived long and healthy lives! It was the unfortunate street dogs that had to be scavengers and were not cared for, that didn't live long.
I just remember her post about the lentils!