The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Chronic Ear Infections, HELP!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:59 am 
Active Forum Member

Jerry Pineda wrote:
Hello All,
Please pardon my ignorance and i must admit i am new in this forum and i just adopted a 3 years old cocker spaniel. I just have some questions regarding the ear infections. My dog is healthy, lively and active and i didn't notice any problem at all, but the ear somehow had a bad smell coming from the ear. Is that a sign of ear infection? Can i use the ear cleaning solution from Jim Zim? Thanks for the advice.

Yes and yes. Good to see the vet since the dog is new to you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:12 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Yes, and yes. A bad smell coming from the ear is one of the first signs of an ear infection. Using the ear cleaner now will almost surely nip this problem in the bud. Use it daily for about a week, and all should be well. After that, use it weekly as a preventive measure.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 am 
Forum Legend

If you can smell the ear without really trying, a vet visit is in order. Meds are probably needed. After the infection is cleared, then weekly cleaning.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate it. I will let you guys know if i will be successful... Or not.

Thanks...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:37 pm 
Forum Legend

Welcome to the forum Jerry. :hi

Patti B

Ryan------1999-2012---Our first foster.
Rowdy----1986-1997---Our 2nd rescue.
Buffy----- 1986-1996---Our 1st rescue.
Pokey-----My sons' childhood Cocker.
Poochie---My childhood Cocker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:44 am 
Active Forum Member

I have a 7.5 year old cocker (chocolate/white) and his name is Chester. He's had on-going ear infections for years now. I took him to the groomer today and they nearly didn't accept him since his (right) ear is so bad right now. I've been putting Xymox in it for a couple of years now and also the ear cleanser - which I'm using to flush out his ears. The Xymox seemed to work at first, and clears up anything in his left ear that starts - but his right ear is really bad.

The groomer recommended the Zim family recipe for his ears - or even just white distilled vinegar and rubbing alcohol to use to dry out his ear. She even used some alcohol based cleaner in his ear when she cleaned it after shaving his ears and said he seemed to respond fine to it.

My vet suggested the ear drum surgery for him, but I can't afford the $4k bill for that.

I'm just curious if the "recipe" will burn his ear in anyway - like putting "salt on the wound". I really don't want him crying out in pain when I pour it in his ear and then having to figure out a way to rinse it all out!

I'll post a pic of "Chester the Pester with ears that Fester" in my avatar soon!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

Welcome Mickey65 :wv

You'd probably want to make sure that there are no open sores or scratches in his right ear first. I would take one more try at the vets to get it under control and then after the infection is gone start with the zim cleaner.

I've been using the zim cleaner since mine were pups and Beau is the only one to have gotten an ear infection, once when he was very young before I started using the zim cleaner and once when we were on an extended camping trip. My other two have never had one and they're all 6 years old. It's great stuff and it works. I usually clean all ears every 10-14 days.

Two of my cockers will roll around on the floor for a minute or two after I clean ears but that's just because I think they don't like the smell of it.

http://k9knitknots.etsy.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:11 am 
Active Forum Member

I went ahead and put the recipe together - altho using the blue-violet stuff rather than the bentadine in the mixture.

Squirted some in both ears and he was fine. He was even wagging his tail as I lightly massaged his right ear with some of the mixture inside of it.

He was pretty excited once I was done and went running back in the house, barking for me to get his treat. He always gets a little milkbone biscuit when he stays perfectly still during his ear treatments. He's ALWAYS been good about that!

So, I'm going to start using it twice a day for the next couple of weeks and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:48 am 
Forum Legend

Hi again~~~I will be waiting to see pix of your boy. :TWag

Jim's formula is highly rated here, so it must work ! :sml
I actually buy mine from Amazon, clicking the link at the bottom of the forum helps pay Jim's server.
I use Liquid Health K9 Ear Solutions ear cleaner.
In the beginning, after the antibiotics to clear up the infection, I used it 2x a week. Now I use it once a week.

Patti B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:40 pm 
Forum Legend

Zymox is good but sometimes another med is needed. It's metamax or something like that. Then frequent cleanings with a good cleaner, sims or k9 are good. I use k9

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:08 pm 
Forum Legend

Good plan, Mickey. I don't think you'll be disappointed. In fact, when you get it all under control, it will be fun to go back to the vet and have them be all surprised and ask "what happened?"

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 am 
Active Forum Member

Update on Chester's ears....

I've been faithfully putting in the blue power wash twice a day since Friday night and it's really drying them up! His right ear (the really bad one) has really improved - no more ooze coming out! And the redness is slowly going away.

His left ear (which wasn't too bad to begin with) looks "normal".

He still shakes his head a little, but at least he's not sitting there digging and scratching at that right ear as much as he was before. The groomer was nice enough to grind down his claws on his back paw so he wouldn't scratch up the ear.

I think this stuff is probably better for him than the Xymox. When I first started using the Xmyox a couple of years ago, it did seem to fix the bad ear, but it just didn't ever seem to go away. At least with the ingrediants in this blue power wash - it's actually drying it all up.

Yeah, I really hope that both of his ears are "normal" by the time I take Chester to his yearly check-up at the Vet. I'd love to see the look on her face. She basically gave up on him and gave me the number to the place that does the ear surgery.

I'm still trying to post a pic of Chester for my avatar, but for some reason this website is really "picky" about the size of the photo to use. I've used his pic at others with no problems!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:47 am 
Forum Legend

i use the "blue ear miracle" too and it has worked for Zoey! Hope it continues to improve for Chester! Have you tried a different food for him? When I switched Zoey to "homemade food " it realy makes a difference when I run out and use store bought her ear tends to flare again and just like Chester its only the one ear.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 am 
Forum Legend

Mickey, send Jim a message with your photos and he will fix the avatar issue for you.

Patti B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:22 am 
Forum Legend

Mickey

Go to the board index and select IMPORTANT NOTICES ... you will find several posts that will help you post your pictures including a resizing tool that helps.

Welcome to the forum!

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:21 am 
Active Forum Member

Hello, all. I'm new here. I have a female Cocker Spaniel that I adopted while living in Korea. From the moment I adopted her, she had horrible ear infections. This continued for 5 years, seeing countless vets, etc. I took her to a dermatology vet and he quickly suggested ear ablation in right ear (the worst one). He did this several times and needless to say, I became slightly aggressive because I know this procedure is so invasive and my dog was already approximately 8 years old at the time (not 100% sure of her age since she's a rescue). Long story short, she had to get the inner ear flushing while anesthetized. I also put her on a high quality food for dog's with allergies. She'd always been on high quality food but the vet became suspicious she was allergic to chicken.

After a month of eating the hypoallergenic food, I switched her to a grain free, chicken free, salmon and sweet potato food since she hadn't eaten salmon before. Since this past November, she's been doing great. No ear infections, no scratching her ears, etc.

Well, now summer is here and the humidity is making her ears a bit gross again. They were a bit red and stinky last night. I shaved the underside of her ears again, cleaned them out and this morning they aren't red and are smelling better.

If you've followed this far, thank you. haha Now... my question is. Can I use this Zim's ear cleaner on her if she's had the inner ear flushing. I know the vet had to create a small hole in her ear drum to get inside and clean it. Before she had it done the second time, he checked her ear drum and said the hole and closed up and was healed. I won't have time/money to take her to a new vet (just moved back to the US) for a couple weeks and I'll wait until then to use the Zim cleaner, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:49 am 
Forum Legend

Welcome to the forum. :wv

Sorry, I don't have anything to add. I just wanted to say hi.
I'm sure the others will weigh in when they are not busy with the holiday weekend.

Patti B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

Yay! Thanks to Jim's photo re-sizer, I got Chester's pic on my avatar now.

His ears are doing really well. Today has been a week since I started on the Blue powder ear wash. His left is totally clear - no debris or anything in there at all. His right ear looks almost normal now. I've been cleaning out a little bit of dark brown dried crud out of it after dousing up his ear. The amount I wipe out of his ear seems to get less each time.

He's barely scratching at that ear now.

This is TMI, but before I started on this ear wash, he would scratch and dig at it - and then lick his paw afterwards! I guess he liked the flavor of that crud! :lol2

I saw him scratch just a little at it today and looked at his paw and then laid it down!

I'm going to continue the twice a day dousing on his right ear for one more week. I'll just dab the left ear once or twice this week - which will be the new norm from now on with that stuff - along with the right also!

Hopefully this clear it all up once and for all. Now I'm just going to need to take him in to the vet soon to get is anal glands squeezed. We usually have them do it every few months. And I can't do it - so no tips please. (I've tried!). :lol2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:25 pm 
Forum Legend

KoreanCocker wrote:
Hello, all. I'm new here. I have a female Cocker Spaniel that I adopted while living in Korea. From the moment I adopted her, she had horrible ear infections. This continued for 5 years, seeing countless vets, etc. I took her to a dermatology vet and he quickly suggested ear ablation in right ear (the worst one). He did this several times and needless to say, I became slightly aggressive because I know this procedure is so invasive and my dog was already approximately 8 years old at the time (not 100% sure of her age since she's a rescue). Long story short, she had to get the inner ear flushing while anesthetized. I also put her on a high quality food for dog's with allergies. She'd always been on high quality food but the vet became suspicious she was allergic to chicken.

After a month of eating the hypoallergenic food, I switched her to a grain free, chicken free, salmon and sweet potato food since she hadn't eaten salmon before. Since this past November, she's been doing great. No ear infections, no scratching her ears, etc.

Well, now summer is here and the humidity is making her ears a bit gross again. They were a bit red and stinky last night. I shaved the underside of her ears again, cleaned them out and this morning they aren't red and are smelling better.

If you've followed this far, thank you. haha Now... my question is. Can I use this Zim's ear cleaner on her if she's had the inner ear flushing. I know the vet had to create a small hole in her ear drum to get inside and clean it. Before she had it done the second time, he checked her ear drum and said the hole and closed up and was healed. I won't have time/money to take her to a new vet (just moved back to the US) for a couple weeks and I'll wait until then to use the Zim cleaner, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this.

As long as you know her ears are healthy (no sores or open cuts, etc.) it's fine to use the Zim cleaner. If you've waited this long, though, you might just want to wait until you get the vet's ok, because it would really sting if she still has something inflammatory going on in there. She's really a cutie.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:19 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks for the reply!

Her ears aren't inflamed or anything yet. It's just that right at the beginning when you know an ear infections is coming. After cleaning them with her regular ear cleaner, they aren't red anymore and the smell is gone. I've been wanting to try Zim's cleaner since it has been heralded by so many Cocker owners.

And she is a cutie, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:25 pm 
Active Forum Member

It's been a month now since Chester has been on the Blue Powder wash for his ears. I did the left ear (the really bad one) for 3 weeks, twice a day. For the last week, I now only do both the ears twice a week, at twice a day.

Both of his ears look really great now. Both very healthy and "normal" now with the healthy pale/pink color.

I wish I could have posted a "before" pic of his right ear before I started all of this. It was a mess - just all gooey from all the muck coming out of it, swollen, the smell. It just looks now as if his ear was "replaced" with a new one!

He barely scratches at that ear now at all, and hardly shakes his head anymore either.

I can't say enough about that wash. He'll be getting it twice a week now for the rest of his life...promise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:21 am 
Active Forum Member

Well, its been two years since I was on here last talking about how great Chester's ears responded to the Blue Power wash for his nasty ear infection. He did really well on it for about a year and a half, but now in the last few months, its as if his right ear is "resistant" to it and has flared up pretty bad. I've been putting that stuff in his ears just about every day for the last 4-5 months and its barely doing anything to it now!

I remember using the Xymox in his ear a few years back and how that cleared it up for about a yaear and half, and then his ear got "resistant" to that too.

Any other suggestions - besides an ear-drum surgery (which I can't afford!)?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:12 am 
Active Forum Member

You could try grain free food if your not using that already. Definitely no rice of any description, 6 weeks before you would see results.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:11 pm 
Forum Legend

What dog food being used?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:14 am 
Forum Legend

mickey65 wrote:
Well, its been two years since I was on here last talking about how great Chester's ears responded to the Blue Power wash for his nasty ear infection. He did really well on it for about a year and a half, but now in the last few months, its as if his right ear is "resistant" to it and has flared up pretty bad. I've been putting that stuff in his ears just about every day for the last 4-5 months and its barely doing anything to it now!

I remember using the Xymox in his ear a few years back and how that cleared it up for about a yaear and half, and then his ear got "resistant" to that too.

Any other suggestions - besides an ear-drum surgery (which I can't afford!)?

GOOGLE: Symptoms of Candida Yeast Infection in Dogs or Candidiasis

Good luck

Joe