An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: enalapril and KBr questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

Does anyone here have a pup that takes enalapril for their heart? Baylee takes KBr for seizures and enalapril for heart and she is so doppy and dizzy. Need input????? REally upset about it!!

Post subject: Re: enalapril and KBr questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:00 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

I think Tina P's Shiloh may be on both of these meds, so she'll probably spot this thread and chime in. I do know that sedation is one of the common side effects of KBr.

http://www.midsouthcockerrescue.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:06 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanks, I PM Tina.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:54 am 
Forum Legend

Jeanie:

I didn't get your PM, so sorry this is a little late.

Shiloh takes a different drug for her heart - 1/2 of a 5 mg. Vetmedin (pimobendin) 2x a day for her heart and 100 mg of potassium bromide (KBr) 2x a day for seizures. The KBr is dosed by weight of the dog. Shiloh's dosage was higher, and I convinced my vet to lower it to 100 mg because she was also very loopy and lethargic. I had a hard time convincing him to do it, though. Shiloh weighs about 23-24 pounds and is doing well with that dosage, though at night she will still wander sort of aimlessly around the house and have trouble settling down. But she hasn't had another seizure at that dosage, either. From what I've read, it takes about a month to build up in their system and then levels off, so after a month of watching Shiloh act loopy, I asked him to lower it. You may have to Google it and print some stuff to take with you - that's what worked for me.

Keep us posted.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:49 pm 
Active Forum Member

My vet is pretty good. We have been trying to adjust it. It is just so hard(the KBr). She has been on meds since June and it is still not right.She is pacing at nite and loopy. I got him to take her off pheno. At least I know it is not just her.She is on 250 mg 2 times a day. And about 25 lbs. sounds too much to me. They did blood work for her level and it was just right- not too high.
She still had a seizure a week ago.I have googled so much and take it every time I go to the vet. He will receive e-mails too and always answers.She is just not a happy dog. She has pooping accidents too.She is 11 and has always had good health.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:17 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Is trying a different anti-convulsant an option for her or adding a second one? I've read about dogs that are on KBR with either phenobarbitol or Zonisamide.

My epi dog is only 4 1/2 and is stable on phenobarb alone (and has no other health issues), so I don't have any firsthand experience with the other drugs, but when we increased his meds, he was out of sorts for a couple of weeks until his body adjusted (plus we had to change up the timing of the meds).

http://www.midsouthcockerrescue.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:47 pm 
jeanie wrote:
My vet is pretty good. We have been trying to adjust it. It is just so hard(the KBr). She has been on meds since June and it is still not right.She is pacing at nite and loopy. I got him to take her off pheno. At least I know it is not just her.She is on 250 mg 2 times a day. And about 25 lbs. sounds too much to me. They did blood work for her level and it was just right- not too high.
She still had a seizure a week ago.I have googled so much and take it every time I go to the vet. He will receive e-mails too and always answers.She is just not a happy dog. She has pooping accidents too.She is 11 and has always had good health.

I know I sound like a Cushings harper, but is she drinking and peeing a lot by any chance?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:45 am 
Active Forum Member

I know I am very late seeing this thread....but my Reason is on Enalapril for her heart is shows NO side effects of being off or loopy. I know Toolie's Emmet is also on it for his heart and I can attest to him being a normally cocker who shows no signs of being loopy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:58 pm 
Forum Legend

Marie: I think it's more the potassium bromide for seizures that makes them a little loopy. Until we cut Shiloh's dosage (only by about 10%) she was "out of it" in the evenings. She's still a little like that, but functioning at a higher level.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl