The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: What causes back issues in Cockers?
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:07 pm 
Forum Legend

I've seen so many posts lately about Cockers with ruptured disks, or some sort of back/spinal issues. What causes this? Can someone please enlighten me? Maybe I'm not alone with this thought! It seems to be fairly popular with Cockers these past few days....should we be doing something to prevent it? Rudy is 2.5 years old and I know thats young, but it seems like cockers of all ages are dealing with these issues. :dk Why is it so popular in Cockers? I know I read something about back issues in German Shepherds (Henry is thought to be partiallly GSD) and it had to do a lot with their sloped back and small back legs. I'm curious as to what you guys think...especially those of you who show and breed.

Aunt to: Diesel: Yellow Lab (8/6/10)

Last edited by Em Mease on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: What causes back issues in Cockers?
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:11 pm 
Forum Legend

I was just saying the same thing today. So many back issues, and now 2 more, posted here. It scares me :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:14 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Gee, I was thinking the same thing also when I read about the latest. I think it might just be rotten luck, we like to play with our dogs, and the more they run and play and have fun the more risk for injury. I let the dogs jump up on the bed, but I always pick them up and put them on the floor, hoping to avoid injury.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:32 pm 
Forum Legend

I think ( :dk ) it has something to do with the length of their body in proportion to their size (Dashounds have back issues too) and their activity. When they run, they run hard. When they jump, a lot of times they twist their bodies. Twisting and landing are not a good combination.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 pm 
Forum Legend

I have done some reading and the sac that holds the fluid of the disk is supposedly thinner in these dogs which makes them especially prone to ivdd.also length of back makes them prone to trauma.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:59 am 
Types of Intervertebral Disk Disease
Type I

Hansen Type I intervertebral disk disease is a progressive disorder characterized by degeneration of the outer layer and mineralization (or hardening) of the inner layer of affected disks. The outer layer eventually ruptures acutely, letting the calcified inner layer press against the spinal cord, with resulting pressure, inflammation and nerve destruction. Multiple disks can be affected and degeneration usually begins at an early age, with clinical signs appearing by 3 years of age.

Type I IVDD typically occurs in chondrodystrophic breeds. These dogs have short, stubby legs and include the American Cocker Spaniel, Basset hound, Beagle, Corgi, Dachshund, French and other bulldogs, Shih-tzu and the Pekingese. Poodles also are predisposed. Type I IVDD usually comes on suddenly and is very painful.
Type II

Hansen Type II intervertebral disk disease involves a slower, more gradual degenerative process that leads to chronic bulging of inner disk material into the spinal canal, with subsequent pressure on and compression of the spinal cord. Type II IVDD usually affects older dogs between 8 and 10 years of age and comes on slowly, without the sudden, severe pain normally associated with Type I IVDD. Type II IVDD normally does not involve as many disks as does Type I.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:26 am 
Active Forum Member

I've wondered this and found out that the calcium sources in kibble is found to be poorly absorbed by cockers and a few other breeds.I'm not saying I'm right but other breeds that don't absorb the calcium well also suffer the same problems.However they all (have been proven to do well with oyster shell as the source.in the wild dogs get calcium from more than 1 source but to much of the wrong sort will calcify in parts of the body, like kidneys, (kydney stones) bones and maybe the lenses of the eyes.(cataracts).It does make wonder about dogs that are born with hip problems is a lot of the time caused by the wrong calcium source fed to the mother after all if she can't absorb the calcium what chance do puppies have of getting any. I have recently read an article on two labs
with severe hip dysplasia that were fed high ammounts of vitamin c. They had multiple litters and not 1 of the puppies had hip dysplasia. Makes me wonder if the gene is failure to produce enough vitamin c.

Last edited by James on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 pm 
Forum Legend

I have a small bit of my own theory.. I've seen so many cockers slipping and sliding on smooth floors (woods and tiles). I suspect they jump and then slip and/or slide. That repeated action could be very hard on their spines. It's a great reason to keep the bottoms of their feet trimmed, and to have low beds in the house. :gig

Maggie Mae, home September 1, 2014

---------------------------------------
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011
17 years and 8 months of Love