Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: nutritionally balanced homemade recipes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hi Everyone,

Although I slow cook and freeze food for Cici, I wonder if my recipes are nutritionally balanced. She prefers it to anything else commercially bought she has ever eaten.
Is there a book i should check out? Or does anyone have any tested recipes to share?

Thanks so much!

Post subject: Re: nutritionally balanced homemade recipes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:23 pm 
Forum Legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXjvfpUehpI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4szeiIoizkg

He has a cd's out.

You can tell by how the nails trim if they split something not right, or a big chunk flies off means healthy bones.

One can add kibble to your cooked meal.

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:21 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:46 am 
Active Forum Member

If you want breed specific cooked diet then look no further, a generic dog diet doesn't suit cocker spaniel.

http://www.wdcusick.com/AmericanCockerSpaniel.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:27 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you, James. This website says

"For the American Cocker Spaniel I recommend a food blend of corn, wheat, poultry, and dairy products. Also a blend of food sources containing low carbohydrates and an average fat content. Conversely, I feel the worst blend for this breed of Cocker Spaniel would contain fish, white rice, horse meat, or soy".

Wow....corn and wheat are exactly what we are told NOT to feed cockers or any dog as it is not part of their ancestral diet and cockers tend to be sensitive to grain.

:goof

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:36 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I crockpot for my crew. There are two different meals; one is chicken with carrots and string beans, the other is beef with carrots and spinach. The food is all organic, hormone/antibiotic free, much of the veggies homegrown. It gets served over five-star, grain-free kibble so I know they are getting their vitamins. When Annie was fighting her IMHA my vet (who has vast knowledge of the disease and also does a lot homeopathically) suggested a diet she had heard about which was browned and rinsed ground beef mixed with grated raw beets. Periodically I will grate some beet over the beef mixture.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:50 am 
Forum Legend

Cici wrote:
Thank you, James. This website says

"For the American Cocker Spaniel I recommend a food blend of corn, wheat, poultry, and dairy products. Also a blend of food sources containing low carbohydrates and an average fat content. Conversely, I feel the worst blend for this breed of Cocker Spaniel would contain fish, white rice, horse meat, or soy".

Wow....corn and wheat are exactly what we are told NOT to feed cockers or any dog as it is not part of their ancestral diet and cockers tend to be sensitive to grain.

:goof

All most all wheat is MONSANTO GMO not good, same with corn as it contains round-up in it. Even chicken feed. This is why organic chicken is the best.

Don't know if the book is made in England but I think their corn and wheat is not GMO that could be the health problem.

James recommendation pushes summer squash and more.

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:48 am 
Forum Legend

By Dr. Becker

For those of you still feeding your dog or cat a commercial pet food with corn-based ingredients – which includes most inexpensive pet foods on the market today – here's a big heads-up and another reason to reconsider the diet you're offering your four-legged companion.

Chances are the corn products in your pet's food are genetically modified (GM). This means the seeds have been chemically altered to produce plants that can withstand repeated spraying with Monsanto's Roundup weed killer.

Estimates in 2009 were that over 60 percent of corn grown in the U.S. is genetically modified, and according to more recent information from NaturalNews.com,1 Monsanto has disclosed that half the sweet corn grown on U.S. farms comes from genetically modified seed.

Genetically Modified Corn and Its Effect on Rats

Previous studies have shown that genetically modified corn causes significant kidney and liver disease in rats after only a 90-day feeding trial,2 and has a negative effect on other organs as well, including the heart and spleen.

Now a new lifetime study of rats fed a diet containing GM corn shows they not only died earlier than rats on a standard diet, they developed mammary tumors and severe kidney and liver damage as well.3

According to researchers, half the male rats and 70 percent of females died prematurely, compared with 30 percent of males and 20 percent of females in the control group.

Lead researcher Gilles-Eric Seralini of the University of Caen, believes his study involving the full lifespan of rats gives a more comprehensive and realistic view of the risks of GM corn than 90-day feeding trials. A rat at three months is still a young adult.

Dr. Fox's advice to pet owners is to buy only food with USDA Organic certification. He also advises consumers to avoid all prepared foods, including cooking oils that contain corn and soy products, since these are the products most likely to originate from GM crops.

In addition to Dr. Fox's advice, I recommend omitting grains entirely from your carnivorous pet's diet. Corn and soy ingredients are not biologically appropriate ingredients in dog and cat food, even if they are conventionally grown. Both these ingredients are linked to a wide variety of health problems in companion animals, including allergies, skin disorders, oral disease, inflammatory bowel disease, and cystitis

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... -corn.aspx

***** I'm guessing but I think those figures are even higher today's world.

Grain Free - Is It Really The Answer?

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/ ... swer-26668

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:56 am 
Active Forum Member

In the diet sheet there is no corn,(its from the US before GM) worst thing I did for my dog was stop the grain, can't be GM though. I add none GM wholemeal bread no problem any kibble with same ingredients causes ear discharge. White fish for a dog that spent thousands of years hunting inland would be a bad idea so salmon and trout absolutely. I don't give corn but like Joe said in UK its none GM I think. That supermarket chicken is the biggest no no for me, free range from a local farm only. It probably is the GM products that cause all the problems as the body doesn't recognise them and then the immune system kicks in and causes havoc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:30 pm 
Forum Legend

In searching wheat is not GM as of yet, they claim but it's even worst it's named under other item's in the kibble dog food.

Is your dog eating a genetically modified corn-based kibble, or a food that contains soy?

While there’s no way to know absolutely if your dog’s corn or soy-included kibble is made using genetically modified ingredients, chances are that it is. In fact, in the United States, 88% of the corn used in pet foods and animal feed and 93% of soybean crops are genetically engineered, according to a 2011 International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications report.

Corn is the #1 crop grown in the U.S. and almost all of it is genetically modified. GMO’s, or Genetically Modified Organisms, are plant or meat products that have had their DNA altered in a laboratory. Genetically modified corn contains a pesticide that cannot be washed off. Additionally, GM corn grown in the U.S. is “Roundup Ready,” meaning it can withstand spraying of Monsanto’s Roundup pesticide and continue to live and grow, while the weeds around it die. (For now. Research is showing that Roundup-resistant weeds are now starting to grow, requiring farmers to increase the amount of pesticide used to kill them.)

As for soy, while it may not be clearly listed on your dog food label, soy is a staple in food production under various names including hydrogenated oils, lecithin, emulsifiers, tocopherol (a vitamin E supplement) and proteins. 93% of US-grown soy is genetically modified.

What are the long-term effects of consuming GMO’s?

Unfortunately, the long-term effects of human and companion animal consumption of GMOs remains to be seen. However, research has linked GMO’s to allergies, organ toxicity, and other serious health issues.

Joe here, I do know the cancer rate is higher than the 90's or earlier. Why?

http://www.dogingtonpost.com/the-danger ... -dog-food/

For you James GM's can't be imported yet to Europe, but things could had changed by now.

The idiots here in California voted down GMO labeling. The idiots on the whole west coast have voted down GMO labeling.

So any foul, beef, that is fed corn could be your problem, health wise. I just saw Forster Farms Organic chicken today in Costco. I really don't think or trust Foster Farms yet. Would they really pay the cost of keeping the records of Organic chicken and their feed testing?

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:30 pm 
Forum Legend

Just found out that the wheat growers kill the wheat with round up for an early harvest.

The Real Reason Wheat is Toxic | Phase IV Scientific Health ...

Wheat harvest protocol in the United States is to drench the wheat fields with ... very common is applying the herbicide Roundup (glyposate) just prior to harvest.

http://www.phase-iv.net/Articles/TheRea ... eatisToxic

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:31 am 
Active Forum Member

So organic only and nothing out of a bag, forget all dog food like I did 6 years ago, don't care how annoying it is to make it up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 am 
Active Forum Member

I've used canola oil in Cici's cooking before, but stopped that, too. I add coconut oil to her food now (the organic jar coconut oil from costco - love the price and quality)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:43 pm 
Active Forum Member

I don't know but every year I fall for buying some kibble as treats. Every time 2 weeks down the line they start having ear problems. I say raw is risky due to parasites and the we worm our livestock just won't cut it, parasites are black belts in learning how to live through chemical invasioin. So yes crock pot (USA) casserole (europe) is deff best option.
The best option is never the easiest option, as my brother keeps saying switch off the tv it's amazing what you can achieve.