An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Pet Protector Medallion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Has anyone tried or knows some one who has tried the Pet Protector Medallion? The medallion is a metal tag that the dog wears on his collar that creates scalar waves around the dog to repel fleas, ticks, and mosquito's for four years. Not that I understand how it all works, but I find it very interesting. It is not a pesticide that kills the fleas, you have to treat your dog first to get rid of the fleas if it has any, then put the tag on the dog's collar and within 7 to 20 days, depending on the size of the dog it begins repelling the bugs. It can be used on dogs, cats. horses, and sheep. Due to Snickie's conjunctivitis/dry eye last year, I want to keep her off pesticides. I am skeptical on it lasting four years, but if it last 2 years I would be more than ecstatic. It has a rating of almost being 97% effective. I did order one up, and will be putting it on her come the first of March, before the ticks become active at the end of March.
Here is a link to their site http://www.petprotector.org/
And here is another link to the four year study that was done
http://www.petprotector.org/pdf/The_Off ... esting.pdf

Post subject: Re: Pet Protector Medallion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:21 am 
Forum Legend

Please come back and post your results. This is interesting!

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:14 am 
Forum Legend

One can't be shipped to California as I don't think it's this one if you look deeper in the fine print.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:34 pm 
Active Forum Member

TinaP wrote:
Please come back and post your results. This is interesting!

Yeah I will let you know how it works. There is so much controversy over this, I don't know what to believe, the internet can be good or it can be bad. Who do I believe? Do I believe the people who say it works? The people who say it doesn't and it's a scam? Do I believe my vet when he says the products like Frontline just sit within the fat tissue of the skin and not be absorbed, or what I read online which says it does get absorbed in, and that is what the pharmaceuticals tell the vets? Vet said Revolution gets absorbed in because it's also heart worm, but what's the difference, both are topical's, why doesn't Revolution sit within the fat tissue of the skin?
Joe, I wish that the brewers yeast had worked in the fall, but once fall came along here, and the rainy wet weather hit, the ticks were back out in full force again. And the problem isn't so much the yard, it's taking her for a walk that is the problem. My previous dog was a red and white open parti, when we walked on the road I would see them crawling up her legs. Below is a picture I took in the fall with Snickie in the road where we walk, yeah it's a road not a trail. So you kinda get the picture of the wooded area here.
So it looks like I will be the guinea pig for the money, and Snickie will be the one who gets to try it out, to see if it works.

Attachments:
phpsCTaMQPM.jpg
phpsCTaMQPM.jpg [ 69.99 KiB | Viewed 404 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:47 pm 
Forum Legend

http://pets.thenest.com/brewers-yeast-garlic-repel-fleas-dogs-cats-5342.html

Not Recommended

There are many easy fixes available that require just dabbing a drop of something on your pet or placing a collar around his neck. In "Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs," Dr. Hamilton lists a few of these products as ones he would recommend steering clear of. Ultrasonic collars don't work to repel fleas, but they are audible to dogs and cats and can cause hearing and behavioral problems

Tail Waggers What this youtube video is about. If you lucky to have lemons TV - Home Made Natural Flea and Tick Spray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2mcN1L1Rdg ??????

I did try ceder oil on Oliver's collar once, it didn't work. As ticks are looking for air movement. and Co2.

Last edited by Joe in North Bay Ca on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:14 pm 
Forum Legend

I wouldn't count on that working

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:21 am 
Forum Legend

This just screams pyramid scam to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:38 am 
Active Forum Member

As said previously, I would report back on the pet protector medallion and if it works or not. Originally I said I would put it on her in March, but after getting and reading the directions, I decided to put it on her in Jan instead.
Let me give you an overview on the situation here. I live in the Northeast which is one the worst areas for ticks and especially Lyme Disease, as it originated here. I live on several acres of a wooded wetlands area, with a stream that comes through the yard. Deer pass through here all the time, as well as all other forms of wildlife. I am surrounded by forest. We walk every day on roads that are forested, there are no sidewalks. We walk up to the lake above me and we walk into the wooded trails around it, and I will often sit up there and observe the wildlife, with Snickie by my side. The place is loaded with ticks.It would not be unusual to take 20 ticks off the dog a day. And I can't think of a better place to try out the medallion.
Two years ago I purchased the new Seresto collar and it worked great, it was 100% effective, not one tick on her that year. But it was a new ingredient that year so the ticks had no immunity to it. The problem was that shortly after I took the collar off she developed conjunctivitis that wouldn't clear up with meds. It took a drastic diet change to cure it. Her immune system was compromised for some reason, was it the collar? Don't know. She has had reactions to some of her shots, so I just want to keep any bad stuff at a minimum.
The snow has finally melted and the weather is improving slowly, and we're getting out more, and so are the ticks. I wasn't going to post anything until the end of the month, but my mind got changed yesterday talking to a neighbor. This neighbor lives across the street from the lake, and she can only use Frontline on her dog, he can't handle anything else. I gave up using Frontline a long time ago because it just wasn't working that great around here, the first year or two it did, then the ticks were becoming immune to it. So she says to me that she has pulled 2 ticks off her dog even though he is on Frontline, but you have to remember these products say in the fine print that they are about 95% effective. As the Vet said to me once, it cuts down on the amount of ticks that will attach, which I can attest to, 2 versus about 20, yeah I can agree with that. Anyways my neighbor walks her dog only on the street, she does not go into the the woods or trails around the lake like I do. You're probably wondering how I'm doing with the medallion? I have taken 2 ticks off Snickie, so thus far neighbor using Frontline takes 2 ticks off her dog, me 2 ticks using a medallion that uses the earths magnetic field. The next 2 1/2 months will tell the story.
Just the other day the news reported that we have a new tick borne disease to worry about, and there is no cure for it. I had Lyme myself about 6 years ago and it is horrible, and this new disease is a virus not bacterial so can not be treated with antibiotics. The symptoms are the same, but doctors can only try to to give you limited support; fluids,or respiratory. Makes you think twice before venturing outside.

http://foxct.com/2015/04/09/ticks-are-b ... rus-in-ct/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:30 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks for you report. I have seen ticks on the paved bike paths that we walk on, those little suckers. Flea season has started, well it never has ended with our drought not being to cold this year. Was watching deer grooming each other the other day wonder if they were pulling off their ticks?

I reported that new tick born disease problem last year. The medical field seems to not like treating human Lyme, is that just rumors?

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:30 am 
Forum Legend

I am following this. Very interested to see how medallion works for you. Have not seen any ticks yet but did find two fleas on Zoey. I cleaned like a mad woman and have not seen anymore. I have seen news about new tick disease also. Very scary. I wonder if people can wear these and get protection? Last summer at playground we found ticks on the slide.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:27 pm 
Active Forum Member

I don't think it's that doctors don't like treating it , believe it or not a lot of them still don't know all the symptoms, and the symptoms are so varied or not at all that it makes making a diagnosis difficult. Just because you test negative, doesn't mean that you don't have Lyme. Then you have the insurance companies that say four weeks of antibiotics is enough, when the individual really needs it for longer. If it were me I would just ask the Dr for more antibiotics and pay for it myself, if I felt that I needed a longer dosage. I was on Doxycycline and for six weeks I had to stay out of the sun and my hands just burned the whole time.
I did research on this and usually not always, if you can see the tick it won' t give you Lyme. It's what you can't see that will harm you. You say what? The first time I saw the larvae of the deer tick, which is that stage or the nymph stage, that is going to make you sick if it is infected, on me I thought it was a piece of dust. I went to flick it off and it didn't come off, I had to pull this piece of dust off myself. I then got a magnifying glass, and only then did I see little legs on this piece of dust. The first time I saw that piece of dust I didn't get sick. The second time I pulled this dust off me I got Lyme. In fact the Dr believed that I may have gotten into a nest of them. I had multiple bulls eyes on me. I always have to laugh when they say check yourself after going into the woods. You have to have really good eyes to see this. When they say it is poppy seed size when engorged they mean that exactly. They don't like to bury themselves in fur, they usually attach themselves around the dogs nose or eyelids. Snickie had one last year and I thought of it to late to take a picture. I mean seriously how are you going to find that on a dog?
Joe, I feel for all you Californians out there with the drought, I have a feeling we are going to have another air conditioned summer, the cooler air of the north blowing on us instead of the west winds.
Becky from what I have read yes a person can wear the medallion to ward off the ticks. I have a ways to go for the season to see if it really works or not. By the end of June it gets to dry around here and you usually don't see them until, the damp fall time. By then we get the fleas too! In another four weeks or so I won't even be walking in and around the lake, it becomes a jungle in there and snakes are all over the place.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:30 pm 
Forum Legend

From what I have heard the treatment isn't long enough like you said it should be extended three times longer. The same goes for any dog that needs treatment for any health problems, to short on the antibiotics but this is hard on their intestinal track, the other side effect of any treatment.

Heard one can spray organic apple cider vinegar on the dog and rub it in works really well.

They don't really have a good human test, it can hide like MS or heart problem even arthritis in us humans so goes the miss treatment. With a negative test.

Glad your ok!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:59 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
From what I have heard the treatment isn't long enough like you said it should be extended three times longer. The same goes for any dog that needs treatment for any health problems, to short on the antibiotics but this is hard on their intestinal track, the other side effect of any treatment.

Heard one can spray organic apple cider vinegar on the dog and rub it in works really well.

They don't really have a good human test, it can hide like MS or heart problem even arthritis in us humans so goes the miss treatment. With a negative test.

Glad your ok!

You bring up good points Joe. My previous dog got Lyme twice, The first time was when she was 2, a few months after she got the Lyme shot. With the antibiotics she got over it pretty quick. The second time was about 4 years later and she had a rough time of it, I really think she should have been on it longer. You can't walk the dog for a month, and when I did she couldn't finish the walk, ugh, I had to carry her home, and that wasn't easy. I had to hold off walking her for another couple weeks.
Yes I have heard of using ACV, but I would have to put it on her everyday, which I am trying to get away from that. To spoiled with the monthly topicals. The year before I used the collar, yes I made up a lemon spray, and that worked pretty good, but I didn't like having to remember to spray her everyday. My thoughts on this for walking in the woods is to use the ACV or lemon spray with the medallion, and you would probably get 100% effectiveness. But right now the test is to see how the medallion works by itself, and if it will last for four years.
The human Lyme test? Yeah, when I had Lyme I was an outside vender for the Depots. My territory changed and I went to a store that I hadn't been in, in awhile. Talking to the receiver in the store I mentioned that I had Lyme. She said are you sure it's Lyme. I said yeah why? She said you remember so and so, yeah, well he was diagnosed with Lyme, when it was actually cancer and he just died. That had me upset for awhile. Kept thinking, did I get diagnosed right?
To be honest, I'm not sure that you are ever the same after Lyme.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:30 pm 
Forum Legend

If you want to listen to more I'll be glad to post. Here is the short couple minutes double standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg8p3T-zD6I

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Look up DIATOMACEOUS EARTH, NEEM, YARROW, for a flea and tick repellant. One [part of each, could last up to a month if it doesn't get wet.

This mixture will also work to repel flies and mosquitoes!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:48 pm 
Active Forum Member

Joe in North Bay Ca wrote:
Look up DIATOMACEOUS EARTH, NEEM, YARROW, for a flea and tick repellant. One [part of each, could last up to a month if it doesn't get wet.

This mixture will also work to repel flies and mosquitoes!

Very interesting. I thought of it once last year to use Neem, but I never got it. I need it for a bug that totally destroys my perennial hibiscus, and knew that it was perfectly safe to use on a dog. Have to keep that recipe in mind.
Since my last post I pulled 3 more ticks off, one a day, last Mon,Tue, and Wed. Since Thur, there has not been one. Both Sat and Sun, did a walk in the morning and evening. We were outside the entire day on both days till about 7PM.
At the end of March I needed to clip her face,ears and neck. I took off her collar and draped it over her back and she sat down unexpectedly and the collar and medallion fell to the floor. I stared at it on the floor and groaned, Why? The medallion needs to be on the dog at all times, once it loses contact it takes between 7 and 20 days for it to reactivate with the magnetic field, to be precise it took 17 days. And they are very explicit in the directions about this, and you need to use something else on the dog until it reactivates. So this weekend when I clipped her again I made sure that my hand stayed right there on her collar draped over her back. Having a dog that needs to be groomed as much as these dogs this is a disadvantage. Putting this on a lab, no problem. I have an idea around this little problem, but that is for another post. Considering how few ticks she had gotten that wasn't to bad. And knowing how many I can take off of her with no protection or with protection. We have been told here in the state, due to the prolonged heavy snow, it was advantageous for the ticks and there is going to be a bumper crop of them, one would think that it would be the opposite.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Were the ticks walking around or attached?

Do you know what kind of bug? Captain jack's bug brew, it's not cheap, another try is rebrew your old coffee grounds let it cool down and spray your plant. Do either at evening time to let it dry. Bee careful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:41 am 
Active Forum Member

Hibiscus sawflies, also known as mallow sawflies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:42 am 
Forum Legend

The safest way to treat your bug.

One should be the bug blaster. Put on your rain gear or get a light shower. If you have a watering wand it installs on the wands tip . Does look like Captain jack's would work.

Insecticide sprays are very effective in controlling this pest, but you have to scout your hibiscus plants frequently for the damage and the larvae that cause it. Rotenone and pyrethrins, Captain Jack’s Deadbug Brew (spinosad), Sevin (carbaryl) and Bayer Advanced Garden Multi-Insect Killer (cyfluthrin) should provide adequate control. Begin making applications when you first notice damage and find the larvae feeding on the leaves. You will need to make repeated applications to control subsequent generations.

Look up spinosad, it's even use as a flea control inside dogs.

Comfortis® (spinosad)
https://www.comfortis.com/
Comfortis® (spinosad) is the first FDA-approved, chewable, flavored tablet that kills fleas and prevents flea infestations on dogs for a full month.

The bug blaster got rid of my thrips on my Rhodies. Fun to use on hot days, but northeast is humid.

One can just get the tip about ten dollars if you have a 30 inch watering wand or longer with a screw on-off tip. I have a Dramm watering wand with a on-off valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnl7Ur7PQKo

Joe