An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Dry flaky skin remedy ??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:01 pm 
Active Forum Member

My 10 year old blk/white parti cocker has developed very dry flaky skin on her back. She has been on prednisone 5-15 mg's daily for two years. Not for skin or allergy problems but a back issue. She is also hypothyroid and takes a supplement for that. I have tried several things from the vet and they haven't worked. She is on a fish oil capsule daily but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

The only thing that works, but doesn't last, is when I rub tea tree oil into her skin on her back before using a medicated shampoo. Her skin is not irritated and doesn't appear infected or itchy and it's mostly just on her back. I'm sure the prednisone is a big part of the problem, but taking her off is not an option. She eats Wellness Core and no people food.

Any ideas??

Connie F.

Very proud Mom to my beautiful girl

Darby, Red & White Parti, age 8.5

Bailey, Black & White Parti, age 11.5 so sadly missed! 7-7-2000 to 1-24-2012

Last edited by Connie F. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dry flakey skin remedy ??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

My previous cocker had all sorts of skin issues; for the dry/flaky the allergist recommended Sebolux Shampoo by Virbac. The key to this shampoo is to leave it on for a full 10 minutes (that is 10 minutes after you get her all suds up).

Good luck

Sasha~Chocolate Sable~1/30/2010

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008

Post subject: Re: Dry flakey skin remedy ??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:02 pm 
Active Forum Member

This might be a long shot but I'll put it out there just in case. Eb had what we thought was dry skin for a very long time (along with her under active thyroid it seemed the logical conclusion). I asked here, at 3 different vets, various groomers, you name it. We tried diet changes, supplements, oils but nothing seemed to make much difference, she was always covered with what I used to think of as dust that makes her coat dull but doesn't seem to bother her at all.

Anyway, long story short, it was walking into a groomer's supply house where the owner announced that I had a greasy Cocker when he saw her. You could have knocked me over with a feather...oily was the problem? She wasn't experiencing dry skin at all. It was was oily skin just like some people have oily skin and when it shed it was sticky enough from the oil to stick on her skin, fur, and anything else she rubbed by instead of just falling off into dust like normal skin shedding does. So oily skin and there we were trying to give her more oils...doh! What it took was a grease/oil cutting shampoo (he told me the citrus was best) and so ended the flaking. She does require those baths to keep her coat nice and to remove the oils when they build up.

I will tell you I walked her into her vet after her shampoo change and he admitted that in all his years of practice (and he's ready to retire so has a lot of years under his belt) he hadn't seen oily skin like hers so it never occurred to him to consider oil vs it being dryness.

The only hint I can think of for you to check is whether the fur seems a bit coated with flakes (not falling off on it's own in other words). I also notice that when I have been petting Eb a lot I can pretty much rub the tips of my fingers and there is a bit of a coating on them (that oil). That might give you a sense if this is the issue for you or not.

Jean

Post subject: Re: Dry flaky skin remedy ??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:07 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will try another shampoo and it just might be what Jean suggested. She is very oily. When I bathe her, the water just rolls off until I can work some shampoo in and I always wash her back twice then use show stopper conditioner. I'll be off to the pet store tomorrow!

Thanks again,
Connie F.

Very proud Mom to my beautiful girl

Darby, Red & White Parti, age 8.5

Bailey, Black & White Parti, age 11.5 so sadly missed! 7-7-2000 to 1-24-2012

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:23 pm 
Forum Legend

I will never thougth of oily skin. Holly skin issues are controlled after months of intensive antibiotics. I shampoo her with Metacam. She is also on thyroid medication, and special diet on Natural Balance with no wheat corn dairy and soy.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

The label on the sebolux says the following:

* Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, keratolytic, antiseptic shampoo
* Helps remove scales & crusts associated with seborrhea & other non-specific dermatoses
* Leaves skin clean & the coat soft/lustrous

I would also discontinue using the conditioner, that may very likely be what is causing the overactive oil glands in her skin thus causing the flaking. (When flaking occurs it is because the skin is in overdrive trying to regenerate itself).

Sasha~Chocolate Sable~1/30/2010

Waiting At Rainbow Bridge; Brandy~Red/White Parti Cocker~7/96-11/2008