An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Bio spot flea drops?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:30 pm 
Active Forum Member

Has anyone used the bio spot flea drops? Our boys seem to have some fleas, not bad but we want to get a handle on this before it does get bad. just wondering what others use and why they use it

Post subject: Re: Bio spot flea drops?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:13 pm 
Forum Legend

I use Advantage-multi on my dog because I was already using it on my cat. It has worked wonders for Rufus. He would scratch until he had bald spots and his fur was thin. Once I started using Advantage-multi, he has been a picture of health! When Milo joined the family, I looked at the various products available and decided to get the doggie version for him.

At the rainbow bridge:
~Rufus, gray tabby cat (as of August 2013)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:20 pm 
Forum Legend

If this is an over the counter treatment, I would stay away. We use Vectra D and I like it. One flea means many, so you are smart to do something quickly. Once they get in the house, its difficult

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:08 am 
There have been a lot of warnings recently about over the counter flea medications. They have had some bad neurological side effects. I would go with something from the vet. NOT Frontline though. It has not been working like it should.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:45 am 
Active Forum Member

We've been using Comfortis. It is a chewable tablet and you get an Rx from the Vet, but we bought the actual medication online (turned out cheaper than the vet) from Drs Foster and Smith. It comes in a 6-pill pack for around $80 and you give a pill a month. Fosters and Smith also has free shipping on flea and tick products.

Also, to economize even further, I bought the next dosage up (40lb-60lb) for the same price as 20lb-40lb, and I cut the pills in half and give to Peaches every month. I checked with my Vet before doing this though to make sure that Peaches was getting the right amount with the half pill, and she did confirm it. There is a minimum mg dosage per lb of weight and we met that requirement with the half-pill.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:56 pm 
Forum Legend

I went the natural route this year. More work but I feel better about it and wanted to share that I am using human grade Diatomaceous Earth (very cheap from Amazon.com) - just make sure it's human grade, sprinkled on dog's coat - along with ZenPawz natural oils sprayed on him as needed.

http://blog.fidofriendly.com/hot-topic/peppermint-pups-natural-ways-to-keep-pests-off-fido/

Dog mom to:
Dexter James, CGC: Spunkball of life and love; born 09/06/08
Brandy Noel: Forever mighty dog; 10/17/93 - 10/11/08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:02 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

We use Revolution on our pups. Last year we decided to change to a topical flea ointment and a once a month pill for heartworm. After our trip to Florida in February we changed back to Revolution and will not change ever again. For the first time in 10 years of using Revolution and then this year changing to something different, we found a flea on Sadie, and I freaked out knowing it was because we went for the less expensive treatment for flea's and heartworms.
We are now Back on Revolution and not one single flea sense I put it on the dogs when we got home from Florida in March. It was stupid of us to try something different when Revolution has worked for us for so many years. Shame on us for trying to go the less expensive route when it comes to our dogs health, it Wont happen again.
Revolution is not only for heatworms, it is also for Flea and Ticks and some forms of worms and I highly recommend it to anyone. Drops on the back once a month with no pills to swallow works for our dogs.

TUCKER Black Cocker 10-15-99 to 01-06-2010 We Miss you big boy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:07 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I agree...one flea means MORE than one! I would be sure to treat your entire house, carpeting, bedding, rugs, etc at the same time to ensure you can break the cycle of the ugly buggers.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."