An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: questions on raw diet-keeping it sanitary
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:57 am 
Forum Legend

Zoey is really suffering from seasonal allergies this year. I am ready to bite the bullet and switch to raw with her but i am worried about keeping it clean. How do you feed and not contaminate the area? I plan to feed in the crate and I can wipe it down with clorox wipes or vinegar but to be honest I don't know how well the hubby would keep up with the cleaning aspect when I am not there, not that he won't just not as thourouggly as me. I am concerned with having kids (esp my two year old). I also would be interested in tips to try and keep the cost down. I found an article where they feed meat with bones in the am and a homemade raw pattie with fruit and veg in the evening. Her hot spot is looking better but still there and she is scratching the other side of her neck now..... Tried the baby sock but can't keep it on her foot. Also ear infection clearing up but its the same ear every spring and summer that flares up.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

Post subject: Re: questions on raw diet-keeping it sanitary
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:27 am 
Forum Legend

Zoey also likes to inhale her food so any tips to slow it down and beginner raw foods? Chicken backs? are they too boney to start on? I have cooked her food in the past but doing raw is new to me(tried the pre made frozen but a few bags where spoiled and I got tired of exchangeing them at the pet store.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:38 am 
Forum Legend

If I feed Oliver a bone it's in the back yard or on the concrete patio. If I make his raw food it in his dog bowl with a towel under it. If I use pre bought frozen it's in his dog food bowl with a towel under a bowl. If your really worried how about the garage for his food. All cocker wolf their food down.

When using greens I don't wash them and don't forget the Braggs organic apple cider vinegar I put a tablespoon in, add some Himalayan pink sea salt.

Could the hot spot be a flea bite gone bad?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:27 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Becky,

Chessie eats mostly ground raw so I don't have to do much by way of clean up. What I feed is whole prey ground... I just use ceramic bowls and put them in the dishwasher to clean. On those days when I give her eggs or sardines I do put a snood on her and wipe her mush with apple cider vinegar and water. Same thing when she gets her raw meaty bones... I have to hold those for her so she stays pretty clean. If she were to get messy I'd just wipe her and the floor down with the vinegar and water solution.

Some people feed outside... that would not work well here in Ohio in the winter LOL. I've heard people feeding in a crate... on a rug.. a towel ... or just in the kitchen on the floor. A plastic table cloth would work too. You could cut the table clothes to fit her crate ... then your husband would just have to wipe Zoey a bit and pull the table cloth to be washed later. Could do the same thing with a towel or rug. Summer is coming... she could eat outside. Don't worry about a bit of dirt... she won't LOL... just make sure you feed where there are no fertilizers or pesticides.

Back when I switched her to all raw I started her on chicken backs... they are mostly bone which helps keep them from getting loose stool. Make sure you take off the skin, fat and any organs that may be attached at first. I held on to it to keep Chessie from gulping it down... watch your fingers! :shock:

Keeping the costs down... here are a few ideas...

find a co op - they buy in bulk and pass the savings to their members

advertise on craigs list - I haven't done this but know that people do looking for free meat. (follow their rules)

Talk to friends, family and neighbors let them know that you are willing to take any old freezer
burned meat off their hands... so many people throw it away and feel bad about wasting it. Your dog doesn't care if it's freezer burned!

Talk to your local butcher - many will sell you their trim. Or they may be willing to sell a case of meat at a discounted price. I recently bought 1/4 cow at a great price per pound (for us not Chessie)

Know any hunters? Again, ask for their trim or even any meat left from the previous year... they might need to make room in their freezer.

Are there any meat processors in your area? Sometimes they will allow you to pick through their scraps (gross but cheap).

Best advice... get a freezer. That way you can take advantage of sales or opportunities that come your way. I buy through a particular company that often has case sales. My most recent purchases were several cases of Tripe and Beef.

In the meantime... did you see this post? Perhaps it will help Zoey. https://www.zimfamilycockers.com/Forums ... =7&t=11745

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:56 am 
Forum Legend

THanks Lisa! Its so nerve wracking! I know why dry and canned food is so popular they are all together and "balanced" so just scoop it out and there you go. Making it up myself is so intimidating. But so far I have fed my kids and they are ok :neen Starting tomorrow Zoey goes raw.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:52 am 
Forum Legend

In my raw food book you make your veggie paste in a food processor and add water to your liking into the raw meat and bone mix. We had one old hand crank in the forties, and fifties I think mom would grind her liver with it her liver. I do know she made the turkey dressing with it using all the organ meat into the dressing. Weston #10 Heavy Duty Manual Tinned Meat Grinder.

Some people don't pull off the chicken fat or organ meat as that is great for organ meat and minerals. I bought some duck backs at a farmers market but Oliver wouldn't touch them. Girls do get Pancreatitis, more over over boys.

Here is a book "Raw Dog Food" Make it easy for you and your dog. Dr. Jean Dodds has a comment! :joy
She tries to make a weeks supply.
Just like making a wet sausage. :wnk Out in the drought, in sunny California. We got some Oregon mist that missed Oregon yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:29 am 
Forum Legend

So far so good. Day one. Zoey hesitates to bite into bone but eventually she did twice then was done. I hold the meat so only my hands and Zoeys face need to be washed. Poop is good. She does cough slightly after eating once or twice but that is all.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:03 am 
Forum Legend

Day two.... some runny poo but I think its because Miss Zoey stole half a chicken enchilada when I was cleaning out the fridge. :tg She really loves it!

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:03 am 
Active Forum Member

Good luck, Becky! I hope the transition is easy and your husband keeps up with the cleaning up after meals.

Shawn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:21 am 
Forum Legend

Thanks Shawn! I've been doing the feeds so far but he agrees this is the next step for her. I've been holding the pieces so all I have to do is wash my hands and her face and the floor just under where I sit to feed her.
Love that little Lola's face! Such a cutie pie! I remeber the bond that formed with Zoey and my daughter :hp :hp :hp Still there! Zoey loves us all but esp my daughter Riley.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:25 am 
Forum Legend

Becky, what are you feeding? You need to feed more than just mets per my vet

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:27 am 
Forum Legend

beckyboo wrote:
THanks Lisa! Its so nerve wracking! I know why dry and canned food is so popular they are all together and "balanced" so just scoop it out and there you go. Making it up myself is so intimidating.
Quote:
But so far I have fed my kids and they are ok
:neen Starting tomorrow Zoey goes raw.

This is what finally did it for me Becky... just give a variety of foods just like you do your own family and you can do this. We don't need a degree just some common sense. Chessie actually eats better variety than we do!

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

Last edited by Lisa R on Mon May 12, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 am 
Forum Legend

beckyboo wrote:
Day two.... some runny poo but I think its because Miss Zoey stole half a chicken enchilada when I was cleaning out the fridge. :tg She really loves it!

Chessie was already on part raw for a year before we full transitioned...so we never had runny stool. What I did find was she had mucus on her stool for a while. Also don't be surprised to see pieces of bone while Zoey's tummy learns to cope with them. You could try giving her some probiotics to help especially during this transition. Hope she firms up and transitions smoothly!

Glad she loves it too... :th-up

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:29 am 
Forum Legend

Debbie just starting out with chicken pieces bone in but Zoey really doesn't like the bones she didn't like the bones but we are getting there! You should hear her grunting in pleasure as she is chewing away on the chicken. I see why they say the dogs teeth are cleaner on raw food.

Lisa do you add in veggies? I think I may supplement with premade raw a few times a wekk at least when the hubs has to feed her just to make it easier on him(and me)

Zoey does not like her face washed! :hp My naughty girl.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm 
Forum Legend

Becky,

I do not intentionally add veggies. I toss the fruits and veggies that we are eating to Chessie as treats. I also use them as training treats occasionally. I give her a variety of meats instead of supplements. I keep it simple ... she gets an occasional krill oil, coconut oil when I think of it, organic apple cider vinegar (with mother) in her water after she gets her face washed after eating a raw meaty bone and her evening bedtime snack is http://carna4.com/carna4-sprouty-squares She also gets a snack with kelp and cranberries.

Premade raw is a great way to assure Zoey is getting what she needs... and it is easier to transition husbands to raw as well. :gig Chessie doesn't like getting her face washed either but she's resigned to it anyway LOL.

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:28 pm 
Forum Legend

Had a crazy rushed morning today! So first thing after work headed to pet store and purchased instinct and bravo raw. I plan on evening feeding with this and a quick morning if we are short on time. My husband is doubting the raw now because I hold the chicken pieces while she chews them. But Zoey is good and just grunts in pleasure as she works the bit of chicken off. Then I only have to clean her face my hands and the floor where we are as she eats instead of the entire floor

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:03 am 
Forum Legend

well here we are day 4. Yesterday Zoey had normal poo followed by increasingly soft poo(in one potty trip). Then some scooting. Today all is good. She goes in for her annual chek up friday night.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:08 am 
Forum Legend

beckyboo wrote:
well here we are day 4. Yesterday Zoey had normal poo followed by increasingly soft poo(in one potty trip). Then some scooting. Today all is good. She goes in for her annual chek up friday night.

Hopefully the soft stool will start to diminish soon. Good luck with her annual exam. Is your vet on board with the raw?

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:20 am 
Forum Legend

I havn't really discussed too much with the vet. They are very pro dry food and even recommended food that is super broken down so the body is unable to recognise it as an allergen. that whole thing just scares me. So we will see what they say about raw on friday.

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 am 
Forum Legend

beckyboo wrote:
I havn't really discussed too much with the vet. They are very pro dry food and even recommended food that is super broken down so the body is unable to recognise it as an allergen. that whole thing just scares me. So we will see what they say about raw on friday.

If they are very pro dry then they are likely not pro raw. Just know going in they will probably make you second guess yourself. I still haven't told my vet that I've switched Chessie to all raw and he wasn't necessarily anti raw - just skeptical. Do as much reading as you can between now and Friday so you can answer any skepticism intelligently.

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:02 am 
Forum Legend

Here she is crooked top not fuzzy right front paw and all

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 135.64 KiB | Viewed 4150 times ]

Princess Bambi the bunny

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:00 am 
Active Forum Member

The veggies are needed if you aren't feeding all the organ meats, the only veggies a dog would eat would be in the preys stomach. That would be finely ground and semi cooked in the stomach acids.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:48 pm 
Forum Legend

I add 5 green beans, 5 snap peas, some red bell pepper, and broccoli, in a food processor and hand blend it in his ground bison. (this should be two nights worth) Add the big teaspoon of brewer yeast, milled flax seed, sometimes fish oil. Other nights just a lamb loin chop, or a chicken thigh. In the AM a processed dog food two chunks of frozen food. Today package frozen is venison, from New Zealand. As long as the veggies are blended they get digested. He'S had no health problems for five years but he does get about 21 miles of walking in every week.

If Ollie is still hungry he will eat cooked green beans and snap peas.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:21 pm 
Forum Legend

beckyboo wrote:
Here she is crooked top not fuzzy right front paw and all

Zoey looks cute in her summer haircut! I love the white tipped tail :hp ... Chessie has that too! Believe me when I say you did a lot better job than I ever could!!!

How did Zoey's vet appointment go?

4/20/10

Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:42 am 
Forum Legend

Well I had to reschedule Zoey's appointment. My FIL was hospitalised with a infection in his foot. ( he is diabetic) He is now home and doing well the medications seem to be helping. We were afraid he would loose his foot.

Princess Bambi the bunny