The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: How Often Should You Vaccinate Your Dog?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:11 pm 
Active Forum Member

I've always thought vets over vaccinated and many still do but I'm glad more of them are getting on-board with fewer vaccines.
I gave my puppies vaccines at 8, 12, and 16 weeks old. I don't do bordetella because it is a joke as a dog can get it even though they are vaccinated while others won't get it that have never been vaccinated for it. Plus it isn't a serious disease, it is self limiting.
I currently don't do lepto either but that is a personal decision. I've had pups with reactions to it in the past. There are strains of lepto out there that unfortunately the vaccine doesn't even protect against. Sometimes the risk of vaccination outweighs the risk of contracting the disease.

Rabies is 3 years here and that is the only booster I do as it is a serious disease, there is no cure or test for it and there have been recent cases in the area close to me.
The groomer I took Peppi to only required rabies vaccine. She went there for many years and never once got sick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:51 am 
Active Forum Member

I guess what I'm asking is if there is NO immunity left do you still not vaccinate against, parvo, distemper, rabies if your dog is immune compromised? I also don't do Lepto or Bordatella.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:02 am 
Forum Legend

I don't understand how they have "no" immunity left? wouldn't there be some even if very low????? I would have to question the vaccine itself and the titer I don't understand much about this but I would like to.
Linda C wrote:
I guess what I'm asking is if there is NO immunity left do you still not vaccinate against, parvo, distemper, rabies if your dog is immune compromised? I also don't do Lepto or Bordatella.

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:08 am 
Active Forum Member

I assume that's the point of the titer..?

beckyboo wrote:
I don't understand how they have "no" immunity left? wouldn't there be some even if very low????? I would have to question the vaccine itself and the titer I don't understand much about this but I would like to.
Linda C wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:45 pm 
Forum Legend

I would think the purpose of titering would also be to indicate when vaccinations were needed to maintain immunity.

[color=#4000FF]Molly, Kelly, Sassy, Champ, Julie, Sugar and Miss Kitty waiting for me at the Bridge.
Currently mom to:
Cassie the Parti-Sable girl
Hailey the Red, Field coated Spaniel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:06 pm 
Forum Legend

Well vaccinating or not was one of my questions as Hollys is due. You all know she was very sick last week and even she is doing much better she is not out of the woods. I made the decision that i was not going to put her through unnecesary vaccination. In the last visit to the vet i mentioned Hollys up for vaccination and that i was not comfortable. The vet agreed and stated she should have immunity after all these years. Holly is allergic to the vaccination and always have to take an extra shot of antihistamine.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have been talking to a lot of Spaniel owners who say that thier pets have developed allergies and sensitivities since the second set of shots and were otherwise fine beforehand. Our Sherlock is due for his booster in February and I am debating getting it done. He has NO issues and is happy and healthy! I would never forgive myself if I brought unnessasary problems on by doing this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:04 am 
Forum Legend

Do titers! That way you know for sure what immunity your dog has. I've yet to hear of one who needs additional immunizations!

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:22 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Chris, posted above by me..Kirby's distemper titer proved he didn't have ANY immunity at about six years old. I revacinated him.

Chris Gomes wrote:
Do titers! That way you know for sure what immunity your dog has. I've yet to hear of one who needs additional immunizations!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:25 am 
Active Forum Member

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/ten-vaccine-myths/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:44 pm 
Forum Legend

There is an awesome webinar on March 15 with the famed and wonderful Dr. Jean Dodds... I just registered. I swear by her protocols.

http://www.indogolife.com/WebinarsCanine.html

Dog mom to:
Dexter James, CGC: Spunkball of life and love; born 09/06/08
Brandy Noel: Forever mighty dog; 10/17/93 - 10/11/08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:21 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Carol,

Just wanted to thank you for telling us about the webinar. I joined and found it really informative and interesting. I had no idea for example that rosemary has a neurotoxic effect on dogs!

Grace

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

Does anyone home vaccinate?

Rainbow bridge
Sunny 2012

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:46 pm 
Forum Legend

tonirae wrote:

I doubt rabies would be acceptable by law. I think I'd prefer the vet handle it all

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:36 pm 
Forum Legend

tonirae wrote:

First, have they had their first set of shots? Usually done by the breeder or the breeder's Vet. Since you do have young pups, in my opinion, they should have their second shots at around 6 months of age. There are standard puppy shots that are given. Even so, I would suggest that you do the Distemper vaccination at least three weeks after the other shots. A lot of Vets have an all in one shot dose. It is my opinion that you should not follow that routine.

I just want you to know that there are a lot of concerns regarding vaccinations. Please do some research. Also, please check out the threads, on this forum, about IMHA and AIHA.

For more information, there is a Dr. Jean Dodds that has done a lot of research in this area. If you Google her name, you will find more on this subject and how to contact her directly.

This is a touchy subject for me because my Moonbeam contracted IMHA at 10 years of age. Sadly, after a year of treatment, she passed. I did have her vaccinated about three months before she contracted that nasty/deadly disease. Not sure, but the vaccines might have been the "trigger".

Your pups are darling.... :hp

Dawn :paw

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:52 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Here are some links to some canine vaccine information that may help you make informed choices, especially as the data shows small breeds of dogs have an increased risk of vaccine association adverse events (see below). In order to comply with the law regarding rabies vaccination, you must have a valid rabies certificate.

ALL ABOUT VACCINE ISSUES & VACCINATIONS by W. Jean Dodds, DVM and Ronald D. Schultz, PhD
full article online at http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/late ... t-vaccines

Dr. Dodds' Vaccination Schedule Recommendations: http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html

What Everyone Needs to Know about Canine Vaccines, Dr. Ronald Schultz http://www.puliclub.org/CHF/AKC2007Conf ... ccines.htm

The American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines
http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm, Page 18: “We now know that booster injections are of no value in dogs already immune, and immunity from distemper infection and vaccination lasts for a minimum of 7 years based on challenge studies and up to 15 years (a lifetime) based on antibody titer.” They further state that hepatitis and parvovirus vaccines have been proven to protect for a minimum of 7 years by challenge and up to 9 and 10 years based on antibody count.

Adverse events diagnosed within three days of Vaccine Administration in Dogs, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Vol 227, No. 7, 10/1/05 "4,678 adverse events (38.2/10,000 dogs vaccinated) were associated with administration of 3,439,576 doses of vaccine to 1,226,159 dogs. The VAAE rate decreased significantly as body weight increased. Risk was 27% to 38% greater for neutered versus sexually intact dogs and 35% to 64% greater for dogs approximately 1 to 3 years old versus 2 to 9 months old. The risk of a VAAE significantly increased as the number of vaccine doses administered per office visit increased; each additional vaccine significantly increased risk of an adverse event by 27% in dogs ≤ 10 kg (22 lb) and 12% in dogs > 10 kg. " [Note: VAAE=vaccine associated adverse events] http://powershotsmn.com/downloads/DogAd ... AVMA05.pdf