An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Puppy Messes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:49 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I wasn't sure were to put this question, so I will just put it in this category. I just brought home Piper 2 days ago, and have already had so many questions! I am so GRATEFUL for this forum :nw . I have noticed that when Piper goes potty she just makes a complete mess of herself, I remember in the pre-crash Forum reading a post about this but I can't remember what it said. I don't know how else to say this, but between the "bud" and the tail it gets extremely yellow and smelly (you can smell it when she lays on her back). I don't know if a simple trim will fix it or what, but right now I have resorted to baby wipes everytime she gets done outside.

Also, how much should I be feeding Piper? I fed her a total of 2 cups throughout the day, and it seems like if her bowl had anymore food in it, she would continue eating! She sure loves her food. Also, my husband fed her for the first time today and forgot to mix in some old food (from the breeder) in with her new food (Wellness For Puppy) and now she has the WORST gas and runny poop :sad. Is that why she has gas (not blending the food)? And lastly, she is the biggest little piggy! I know Jim said on his main page that he just leaves food out and lets the puppies regulate their intake, but I think Piper would eat all day if she could. She has the biggest belly, so I just hope that we're not over feeding her.

Thank You for your patience and help!

Piper [ R & W Parti ]-- Born July 31st
Bentley [ Buff ] -- Adopted 6/4/2011
'Princess' Bailey Sue [ B & W Parti ]-- January 13, 2002-August 4th, 2010, I miss you big girl!

Post subject: Re: Puppy Messes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:19 pm 
Active Forum Member

It would help to know the age of your new puppy...I can't answer all of your questions but one thing I'm fairly sure of is that two cups a day is too much food! The Wellness package should have a chart telling you how much to feed your puppy based on weight and age. Also, yes, switching to a new food too suddenly without mixing (even if it is a higher quality food) can cause gas and runny stools. Go back to feeding the mix of the old and new food...if the gas and runny stools don't clear up within a day or so, you may have to feed a diet of cooked rice and boiled chicken until the upset tummy clears up. If that doesn't help, a trip to the vet is in order to make sure there aren't any problems such as worms or an intestinal infection. As for the stinky buns...I would first try doing a trim (carefully) around the area that is causing the trouble. It seems we had a bit of this problem when Sophie was a puppy and it had to do with her being small therefore lower to the ground and not much space between her body and the ground, therefore the pee got on her. I think a trim helped and it just quit being a problem as she got older. Good luck with your new puppy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:48 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Stacy wrote:
It would help to know the age of your new puppy...I can't answer all of your questions but one thing I'm fairly sure of is that two cups a day is too much food! The Wellness package should have a chart telling you how much to feed your puppy based on weight and age. Also, yes, switching to a new food too suddenly without mixing (even if it is a higher quality food) can cause gas and runny stools. Go back to feeding the mix of the old and new food...if the gas and runny stools don't clear up within a day or so, you may have to feed a diet of cooked rice and boiled chicken until the upset tummy clears up. If that doesn't help, a trip to the vet is in order to make sure there aren't any problems such as worms or an intestinal infection. As for the stinky buns...I would first try doing a trim (carefully) around the area that is causing the trouble. It seems we had a bit of this problem when Sophie was a puppy and it had to do with her being small therefore lower to the ground and not much space between her body and the ground, therefore the pee got on her. I think a trim helped and it just quit being a problem as she got older. Good luck with your new puppy!

I just read the chart on the Wellness package how much to feed her, you're right, we were overfeeding her by about a cup :cry . She is 7 1/2 weeks old. Her breeder had a family emergency that took her out of state so we had to pick her up a little early. Her gas is probably from the food, yesterday when I fed her I mixed and was planning on slowly weening her, but I guess I didn't communicate that with my husband :roll . Her first vet appointment is on Tuesday, so I will just wait until then to see if everything clears up.

I'm hoping like your dog, Piper is just small and the 'stinky buns' will go away too.

Thanks!

Piper [ R & W Parti ]-- Born July 31st
Bentley [ Buff ] -- Adopted 6/4/2011
'Princess' Bailey Sue [ B & W Parti ]-- January 13, 2002-August 4th, 2010, I miss you big girl!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:57 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Brittany!

I was one of several who posted about this problem. Part of the problem she will literally grow out of... as she gets taller she won't be resting in the puddle. But since I was washing Chessie's sanitary area sometimes several times a day I had my groomer shave the sanitary area... including under the tail. It helped... I only have to wash her once between baths now (she gets weekly baths).

As for the gas problem... that's hard to say. It could be the change in her food but it's also possible that she has worms .. Ask the vet if she needs de-wormed her at her next appointment. It's also possible that she is getting gas if she is eating too fast or too much. Or it could simply be nerves from being in a new situation.

Food... each type has it's own guild lines so it's hard to say without reading the bag what you should be feeding. For example, Chessie is on California Natural... she gets a little over 1 cup per day plus 1 tablespoon each of yogurt and pumpkin and various training treats. So compared to your food she's getting a lot less... but that is what the guild says. Look at your dog.. is she growing at a steady pace? Then your probably feeding enough. Occationally giving your dog over the recommended amount is fine, if you think she's still hungry, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Some Cockers just don't know the meaning of FULL! LOL

Chesapeake NF, AX, AXJ (CGC)
4/20/10

The road to MACH is full of jumps and weaves....

Competing in Master Agility
Double Q's - 3
MACH Points -126
MX Q's - 4
MJX Q's - 4

(edited 12/17)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:59 pm 
Active Forum Member

The puppy stage is the hardest! It's so hard to know what to do!

Everyone is different with their feeding methods, but I found that feeding on a schedule GREATLY helped the housebreaking process. If I know exactly when that food and water are going in, it won't take long before I figure out when it'll be coming out. :lol2 I used to feed mine 3 times a day (morning, mid-day, evening) and base my housebreaking schedule on that. I used to also take their water up at 7pm every night. The more you regulate what and how much goes in that little mouth, the quicker housebreaking will be. :th-up I got an awesome book, Housebreak Your Puppy in 7 Days. It took me longer than 7 days :lol3 , but it had some great tips and tricks in it. Crate training is also extremely helpful with this.

The gas could be from the extra food. Cockers are notorious for eating and eating and eating. :gig Mine would probably eat until they exploded. They're definitely in the Food Hound category.

When I first got my boys, this forum helped tremendously! Sadly, a lot of information has been lost, but there are a lot of people here that can help you along the way.

Enjoy the puppyhood stage!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:28 pm 
Active Forum Member

Have to agree on the length of the legs coming in to it. Eb had the same kind of problem and my vet said it would stop as soon as her legs were a bit longer and he was right. They are just too close to the ground when they are little I guess.

As for that gas...well it could be the change in food but I've been finding it's usually a signal that something is fermenting too long in the tummy (not digesting as it should and it happens in people too). If it continues very long you may want to try food without grains as they are often the culprit.

Jean