Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Potty Training
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:11 am 
Forum Member

Hi!
I am a new cocker spaniel owner...having been a boxer owner for the last 6 years. My 8 year old boxer suddenly and unexpectedly passed away in June. We decided to get a smaller dog, and after much research, decided on a cocker spaniel. We adopted a 1.5 year old female cocker from a private party - the story was that the dog was her grandma's and grandma had passed away. I was told she was potty trained...well, we have had issues since the day we brought her home.

I have been pro-active in training - doing things like taking her out every 2 hours, praising her when she voids, watching her water intake at night, etc...and she continues to urinate and poo in the house. She can hold it all night when she sleeps with my daughter, but after just been outside, she will urinate right in front of me. She will also void in her crate. I purposely didn't get a puppy because I didn't want to deal with "puppy issues" and so this is an issue that is extremely frustrating to me. We have had her for 2 months and are really at the end of our rope. HELP!

Post subject: Re: Potty Training
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:53 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Please review the house training thread in this section and treat this adult dog as if she was still a puppy. :th-up

I have successfully house broken two adult females using this method, crating them as needed. :Clap

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:35 am 
Active Forum Member

Welcome to the forum! :wv
Sorry about your loss with your Boxer,the same thing happened to my neice with her's this year,at the same age too! The breed has inherited heart problems.
Here is the link for the puppy training
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=100
It is more difficult training an adult than a puppy, but yes it can be done. What do you do when the dog pee's in front of you? That is the most perfect time for a correction, I quickly bend down and scoop them up saying no and carry them outside and put them down on the ground and saying "potties outside". A dog that is 1.5 knows the words "no,outside, and potties" or whatever word you use. And always go out with them to make sure they do their business,not just let them out. Never, do they have the full run of the house until trained,if you cant watch them 100% of the time,they are confined, either in a crate or gated in a small area. Best of luck and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:21 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I'm sorry you are getting frustrated but I also think you need to go back to " crate training 101". Also, how large is her crate? If it's too big they can mess in it and move away which is a problem. She should be in the crate anytime she is not physically with a family member. If you haven't already, I would also discuss this with your vet to make sure she is okay. Beyond that, she may still be adjusting to losing her person and then going to other homes.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 pm 
Forum Legend

I prefer training adult dogs by keeping them leashed to me, if possible. I mean 24/7. If you work outside the home I know that probably isn't possible. This way you can take them out and praise them or stop them if they attempt potting in the house. This doesnt mean punish them but immediately take them out the door. Always reward when she does her business outside

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:22 pm 
Forum Legend

Welcome, Jill!
I'm so sorry to hear about your boxer. :cry

As for your new little cocker girl, generally cockers REALLY want to please their people. But changing homes can be stressful and confusing, and more often than not, you do have to review Potty Training 101 with them. She sounds capable, since she is able to hold it all night.

It kind of sounds to me like she's peeing right in front of you in the house so you'll know she's pee'd. She doesn't know Where to go, but she knows you wanted her to pee and she wants to please you.

So, as the others said, take her out on leash, to the same spot, give a potty command (I use "Go Potty!") NO other talking, and then HUGE praise when she goes. Just be really matter of fact, i.e. you Expect her to do it, no choices, no distractions.

I'd suggest ONLY potty training for a few days, until she really gets it. If she was trained before, this should come quickly. If she wasn't really trained or not crate trained, it will take longer. The key is consistency.

Be sure to clean the floor with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle, and her crate also, because it can hold odors that only a dog's nose will detect.

Good luck and let us know how she does. What's her name?

Sophie, 10-22-2015, home 9/19/15-
---------------------------------------
Maggie Mae: home 9/1/2014 - 3/31/2015, 7 mo of Love
Feather: 3/23/1994 - 11/17/2011, 17 yrs, 8 mo of Love