Page 2 of 4

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:12 pm
by Sally B.
Dawn, thank you for posting this article!! :TYou You are right that it is easy to read and understand. Julie, thank you, too for providing the article. :tywag Everyone needs to file this somewhere in a safe place for quick reference. Hopefully, you will never it, but if you do it will be there.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 pm
by dawn & kevin
Sally B. wrote:
Dawn, thank you for posting this article!! :TYou You are right that it is easy to read and understand. Julie, thank you, too for providing the article. :tywag Everyone needs to file this somewhere in a safe place for quick reference. Hopefully, you will never it, but if you do it will be there.


Hi Sally,

Thank you for your advice to print and keep this article in a safe place. And, for your confirmation of my "easy to read and understand" belief in this article! You have been through a lot with Parker and still will have a long road to travel. As will all of us who have an IMHA survival doggie.

We who have been there "understand" and want every Cocker Spaniel owner to beware and be armed. :th-up

There is one note that I would like to add. The reason that Julie researched this article for me is that Simplicef is an antibiotic of choice for many Veterinarians. It is a wonderful drug and was used to "cure" Moonbeam's skin Pyoderma. But, I don't think that I can attribute her contracting IMHA to this medication. The use of Simplicef was well over a year (maybe two years) before she contracted IMHA. And, in fact, she is on it right now after her ear surgery. She has not had any sort of IMHA relapse. So, please don't reject this medication, but use it with the knowledge that "some" antibiotics "could trigger" IMHA.

Please, just spend a few moments to “skim” this article. Print it for future reference. I had researched IMHA before Moonbeam contracted it and I still was very unprepared for what was to come. This article can walk you through most of the diagnosis, medications used and the prognosis. However, it does not tell you that 50% of dogs that contract IMHA do not survive the initial onset, 25% pass from complications and 25% survive. I have not mentioned this before because I do not want to scare you all. I would like for you to stay positive. There has been only one dog (that I know of) that has passed in recent history from this forum and my other Cocker Spaniel forums (including my RV forum).

:hp Let's break these statistics by making ourselves AWARE! So, we can act FAST! :love

Happy reading! :wv

Dawn

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:06 pm
by Vickie
Bump....

Moderators - Could we possinly have this information "post-it"'ed.

Thanks

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:40 am
by davidh
i hope this isnt whats goin on with our coco. lately hes hasnt been eating all his food if any at all but he is still very active. but as soon as we used to put the food down he would sit there n eat until it was gone. does anyone know if it might just be the food?

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:23 am
by TinaP
davidh wrote:
i hope this isnt whats goin on with our coco. lately hes hasnt been eating all his food if any at all but he is still very active. but as soon as we used to put the food down he would sit there n eat until it was gone. does anyone know if it might just be the food?


David:

Not eating could be a sign of a lot of things. I would have some bloodwork done to rule out any kidney dysfunction. My girl will go off of her food if her BUN or creatinine levels are elevated (a sign of kidney dysfunction). If it IS IMHA, you want to get him in there ASAP. It's nothing to mess around with and wait. But it could be somethiing completely unrelated (a virus, for example) and your vet will be your best defense at this point.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 am
by TinaP
Vickie wrote:
Bump....

Moderators - Could we possinly have this information "post-it"'ed.

Thanks


Vickie:

It's already a Post-it in the Caring for your Cockers section. If there is something in this post that isn't in that one - let me know and I can just add a reply and copy the information over. I can also move this to the Caring section and leave the shadow topic in place in CCC. Let me know what works for y'all.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESEMm NT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:46 am
by Lindsey D.
Sylvia V wrote:
Muffin is also Black but there is pink, you can also look at the tongue


When Maggie was going through her toughest time with this disease, we were constantly hoping for signs of improvement. My husband was the one who noticed that her tongue was so pale, while I was more focused on her gums. The first sign that she was improving was her willingness to eat a little something. Soon after that, we noticed her color slowly start to improve in her tongue, gums, and eyes.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:17 am
by Sandy H
To all of you in this thread that have your babies with you,I am so very happy for you. Please say a little prayer for my Brady, who would have been 6 today, who lost his battle at age 2. Hearing about your survivors gives me so much happiness knowing some beat it, just wish we could have also had a happy ending. If you google perfect, there should be his picture.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:58 pm
by kmassey
I can say that this disease is very tricky. Valentine had his 1st episode in June 2009 and then a 2nd in July 2010. The first episode there were no signs at all had he not jumped off and hit his eye accidently I probably would have woke up to find that he had crossed over, his Platelets when I took him to the vet for the eye was 1%. He was in the hospital 6 days and had a platlet transfusion.

The 2nd episode was exactly like the symptoms say, weak, not eatting and very worn out. We got him to the vet thanks to Cherished Cockers and his RBC was way down, he was there 5 days had a whole blood transfusion and thank god has been okay since then. I check his gums 2-3 times a day all the time. He probably gets tired of me doing it but I still do it. He was also diagnosed with Evan's sydrome which is similar to IMHA but he has both.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:13 am
by kmassey
Please be aware that you should check out info on Evan's Syndrom it's very similar to IMHA and presents the same way.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:00 pm
by JessC
IMHA is really scary. I was oncall this weekend and a mini schnauzer come in because she was lethargic and had been diagnosed previously with IMHA. Her PCV was dropping and she needed a transfusion. :cry I honestly never realized how common IMHA is. I am honestly worried about it with my cocker. I haven't done blood work on her yet but I do it on my dobe every 6 months (terrified of cancer and DCM). I will probably start doing that with Blackberry (my cocker) too.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 pm
by dawn & kevin
Hi Jess,

Yes, IMHA is a terrible disease and can take any dog's life very quickly. However, doing a blood panel on your Cocker every six months will not be of any benefit in helping you prevent your Cocker from contracting this disease. It comes on VERY suddenly (usually within 24 hours for the first subtle signs to appear). So, although the blood panel might be of help in the diagnosis of other possible ailments, it would not help with IMHA unless (for instance) your Cocker has just contracted the disease.

Your very best bet is to read and try to memorize the first few paragraphs of this thread. Being aware is your best (and IMHO the only) way to keep your Cocker baby healthy and prevent the loss of his/her life in regard to IMHA. .

I sure hope that this helps you in your quest to prevent the possible loss of your baby from IMHA or any other disease for that matter. Please keep in mind that, although Cocker Spaniels are the most prevalent breed to contract IMHA, it is still not a likely scenario. Most Cocker Spaniels live long and happy lives without ever contracting IMHA. :hp

Kindest regards.
Dawn

PS: The medication I could not remember is called Comforts.

Question-IMHA & flea and tick meds?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:50 am
by Lora in N. Carolina
Hi
Thank you for the all the informative info you share so we can keep our Cocker Babies Safe. About 9 years ago, my beloved Cocker Rasheed (named after a UNC basketball player at the time), got sick. In early days, they were thinking it might have been this disease you are discussing. Turns out, we soon found out instead it was a type of leukemia and we lost him. I remember when when the Vet was running tests and i was online, upset and trying to find out more info, one person who had gone through this disease with her dog said she didn't vaccinate her dogs anymore bec. of this disease. Well, I do. This summer, my boys have stayed inside and in walked on areas outside that are paved mostly so I haven't applied Frontline Plus for flea and ticks yet and in the back of my mind knowing what that person told me that the disease can be triggered by vaccinations, I wondered if putting those kinds of chemicals on the dogs could cause the disease, IMHA, to occur. I am very careful and take good care of my boys so just wondering your thoughts as i want to do what is best for them. It is scary the high rate that Cockers get this. But reading the info. posted here, it says that the disease can also occur from tick bites, so I'm thinking it is better to have them on it and avoid them getting bit by ticks. what is your advice to me.
Thank you so much.
Lora

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:22 pm
by dawn & kevin
Hi Lora,

Thanks for your post and your appreciation for the work that I have done regarding IMHA. If you will look at my last post on page one, you will see causes of IMHA. The very first cause listed is Medications. I do realize that this is a very broad catagory, but you can include flea/tick medications as "triggers" for IMHA.

However, as pet owners, we are betwixed and between regarding applying these medications. We absolutely need to use them at certain times, so we are forced to apply the treatment and hope for the best. My Veterinarian suggests Advantage as the best, but there are other's. You can ask your Vet for their suggestions or you can search through the IMHA sites for more opinions. Also, there is a new flea medication on the market that is supposed to be very good. Just can't recall the name right now. I will look for the info and come back and post later....

Hopefully, I have answered your question, and am so glad that you asked. As I have stated many times before, being informed is the best way to guard against IMHA.

Regards,
Dawn

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:29 am
by CospyCockerSpaniel
Thank you for the information! I agree that if you see the symptoms, then you must visit the vet immediately.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:24 am
by CarolB
Thank you for sharing this with us

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:33 am
by James
So I'm confused, if I give him no antibiotics,boosters or dog foods with chemicals(all of them) there is agood chance my dog wont get this.(should be covered then)

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:08 pm
by dawn & kevin
jazz452 wrote:
So I'm confused, if I give him no antibiotics,boosters or dog foods with chemicals(all of them) there is agood chance my dog wont get this.(should be covered then)


dawn & kevin wrote:
However, as pet owners, we are betwixed and between regarding applying these medications. We absolutely need to use them at certain times, so we are forced to apply the treatment and hope for the best. As I have stated many times before, being informed is the best way to guard against IMHA.


Hi Jazz,

I am so sorry that you are confused, but IMHA is a very confusing disease. Especially, when the Veterinarians can not tell us what caused our pet to get IMHA. When our Moonbeam was diagnosed with IMHA, in June of 2010, the cause of her disease was called "undetermined". Therefore, it is not always possible to find out what was the "trigger".

IMHA can also be caused by Tick bites and then the cause is diagnosed correctly. So, keeping your dog away from all chemicals, vaccinations, flea/tick deterrents, etc. is not always the best way to "prevent" IMHA. There is no way to prevent this disease, but there are precautions to take as well.

One precaution that we here in the States is that we do not give all vaccinations at one time. I don't know the protocols where you live, but I would suggest a long talk with your Veterinarian in this regard. In the U.S., we do not give the Rabies Vaccination at the same time as the other's. It is considered best to wait at least two weeks before administering the Rabies Vaccine.

Our puppy Muraco will be vaccinated this coming weekend (third set of shots) and his Recombinant Rabies shot will be at least two weeks later. I will be using the Recombinant Vaccine because of the research that I did two years ago and discovered that this vaccine is safer than the live vaccines.

Hope that this info has helped you decided what is best for your Cocker Spaniel.

Regards,
Dawn

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:46 pm
by dawn & kevin
Jazz,

I forgot to mention that Cocker Spaniels do represent 1/3 of ALL DOG breeds that contract IMHA. But, the percentage of Cocker's that contract IMHA is not known to me. During this past year that I have had to deal with IMHA, because of our Moonbeam, I have not heard of more than 10 cases from all of our forum members. There are probably cases that were not reported though.

Just wanted to clarify this....

Dawn

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:56 am
by James
dawn & kevin wrote:
Jazz,

I forgot to mention that Cocker Spaniels do represent 1/3 of ALL DOG breeds that contract IMHA. But, the percentage of Cocker's that contract IMHA is not known to me. During this past year that I have had to deal with IMHA, because of our Moonbeam, I have not heard of more than 10 cases from all of our forum members. There are probably cases that were not reported though.

Just wanted to clarify this....

Dawn

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:07 pm
by Sylvia V
I have one thing to add, everyone should do a blood test to find out what the base numbers are. Since Muffin had not had one, in some time we do not know what her base numbers were before she got IMHA and it has taken us 9 months to get to the low side of normal, we are not through yet.

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:15 pm
by James
jazz452 wrote:
dawn & kevin wrote:
Jazz,

I forgot to mention that Cocker Spaniels do represent 1/3 of ALL DOG breeds that contract IMHA. But, the percentage of Cocker's that contract IMHA is not known to me. During this past year that I have had to deal with IMHA, because of our Moonbeam, I have not heard of more than 10 cases from all of our forum members. There are probably cases that were not reported though.

Just wanted to clarify this....
Thanks for the info I'll watch for any symptoms.

Dawn

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:42 am
by dawn & kevin
jazz452 wrote:
jazz452 wrote:
dawn & kevin wrote:
Jazz,

I forgot to mention that Cocker Spaniels do represent 1/3 of ALL DOG breeds that contract IMHA. But, the percentage of Cocker's that contract IMHA is not known to me. During this past year that I have had to deal with IMHA, because of our Moonbeam, I have not heard of more than 10 cases from all of our forum members. There are probably cases that were not reported though.

Just wanted to clarify this....

Dawn


Thanks for the info I'll watch for any symptoms.

:th-up

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:06 pm
by Kirsten E
I lost my little angel, Lily, on the 24th of October from IMHA. I don't think there was anything I could have done to save her. It hit so quickly, and hard, I don't think anything would have helped her fight it. She had a transfusion, which didn't take. Her gums, eyes, and tounge had all turned yellow, and at the end even her belly skin was tinged. It was just terrible. And she went from healthy to very ill so quickly! I wish I had heard of the disease before I got her, I would have been on the lookout.
I do wonder if I had gotten her from a better breeder, if she would have been healthier.?? I know now what to look for in a breeder. But I also wonder how much heredity played a role. She also had terrible allergies, and had dealt with yeast infections in her ears. AND...she had gotten her bordatella vaccine two weeks before she died, nasally.
Her loss was so very painful, I am afraid to get another pup. I don't think I could handle it happening another time. I find myself very confused as to what to do. I am so sorry that others of you have gone through this as well. Our "kids" will live forever in our hearts and memories.




Kirsten

Lily 8/8/08-10/24/11 I will love you and miss you always!

Re: *COCKER SPANIEL'S REPRESENT 1/3 OF ALL IMHA CASES! *

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:00 pm
by dawn & kevin
Kirsten E wrote:
I lost my little angel, Lily, on the 24th of October from IMHA. I don't think there was anything I could have done to save her. It hit so quickly, and hard, I don't think anything would have helped her fight it. She had a transfusion, which didn't take. Her gums, eyes, and tounge had all turned yellow, and at the end even her belly skin was tinged. It was just terrible. And she went from healthy to very ill so quickly! I wish I had heard of the disease before I got her, I would have been on the lookout.
I do wonder if I had gotten her from a better breeder, if she would have been healthier.?? I know now what to look for in a breeder. But I also wonder how much heredity played a role. She also had terrible allergies, and had dealt with yeast infections in her ears. AND...she had gotten her bordatella vaccine two weeks before she died, nasally.
Her loss was so very painful, I am afraid to get another pup. I don't think I could handle it happening another time. I find myself very confused as to what to do. I am so sorry that others of you have gone through this as well. Our "kids" will live forever in our hearts and memories.

Kirsten

Lily 8/8/08-10/24/11 I will love you and miss you always!


Hi Kirsten,

I am so sorry for your loss! :love As for your question about the breeder, a predisposition to IMHA could run in blood lines. But, there must be times that the breeder is not told about breeding an IMHA dog three or more years down the line. Most Cocker's that contract IMHA do so between the age of three years to about eight years. Our little Moonbeam was ten years when she was diagnosed.

Now that you are aware of this disease (it has been my mission in life to get the word out) you will be on the look out for the symptoms. I see that you have found the thread that I started in Caring for your Cocker. There are other's that have started threads as well. Please read for more info on symptoms, treatments and medications used. It is possible that the bordatella vaccine was the "trigger" for Lily's IMHA diagnosis. :roll

My best to you and again I am so very sorry for your tragic loss of Lily. :cry

Dawn