Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Eye Gunk/Tearing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:37 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi everybody-
I am planning to shift my Oliver to a higher quality diet in about a week, and simply wondered whether I can expect his eye gunk to lessen? His eyes seem to tear a lot, and I constantly find myself cleaning them. I make certain to have the hairs near his eyes trimmed really closely, preventing unnecessary irritation. Neverthless, his eyes still get pretty gunky if I'm not vigilant. Does food have any role in this, or is this solely a genetic issue?

Thanks for your input!

Post subject: Re: Eye Gunk/Tearing
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:05 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Food can absolutely play a part in that! Now that doesn't mean that's what it is since things like allergies to pollen, grass, etc. can also do the same thing. It will be interesting to see if the diet does help. All of my dogs got less eye gunk when they went grain-free. They still get some treats that have grain but I guess because they aren't getting a lot of the grains their eyes still seem to be doing okay.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:34 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I've been meaning to post about this myself. Penny doesn't get "gunk," but she tears almost all the time. She's been on grain-free foods all the time she's been with me. There doesn't seem to be an allergy pattern that I've noticed. I wash her face with warm water on a soft washcloth, and within hours she has tear stains again.

Forever in our hearts: Isabel, Joey and Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:10 pm 
Forum Legend

My first cocker always had a Geary eye with staining. Unfortunately this was so long ago when there was no clue about what to do. At times the tear ducts can clogged up, allergies is also possible. Is Oliver in an allergy pill like Chlortabs. Good luck with this problem, hope his eyes get better soon. What about an antibiotic for the eyes.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:52 pm 
Active Forum Member

Yes food can play a part in eye gunk/tears stains, however, there can be other reasons also. A lot of gunk/sleep in the eye can be a sign of dry eye. Kaitlyn was tearing really really badly about 6 months ago, after going to the eye doctor we found that her tear ducts were plugged and the glands in her eyes were infected, after they flushed her tear ducts and we were on drops for about two weeks it cleared up and we have not had that amount of tearing since. Dr. Hoffman did say it could have been caused by allergies. Both girls are on grain free so it was not the food.

Buffy Amber Frost 1/16/80 - 7/3/95

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:34 pm 
Forum Legend

Adam,

Just to make sure that Oliver does not have some sort of an eye infection, please lift up his upper lid and see if his eyes are red or appear to be blood shot. If they are, I would take him to your Vet and have him checked out. There are antibiotics that will help.

Chloie had this a month or more ago. I purchased some antibiotic liquid drops (as opposed to the tube gel) because the liquid is faster and easier to administer. She is good now and only occasionally has "goopy" eyes. :wk

Dawn :paw

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:06 pm 
Forum Legend

Hey guys-

Thanks for all of your input. His eyes seem to be healthy other than the gunky "boogers" that collect on the fur; aside from those, there is no redness or sign of irritation. His eyes have been like that since the day I brought him home. At a year old, he is still on Royal Canin, which is the food his breeder had given him. Anyway, we'll see if he makes any improvement with a food switch :-) It's really not that big of an issue, I just wondered if there was any way to improve it :-)

Thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:18 pm 
Forum Legend

Adam wrote:
Hey guys-

Thanks for all of your input. His eyes seem to be healthy other than the gunky "boogers" that collect on the fur; aside from those, there is no redness or sign of irritation. His eyes have been like that since the day I brought him home. At a year old, he is still on Royal Canin, which is the food his breeder had given him. Anyway, we'll see if he makes any improvement with a food switch :-) It's really not that big of an issue, I just wondered if there was any way to improve it :-)

Thanks again for the help!

Hi Adam,

Great! It does not appear that he has an infection then. If you have not already done so, you could ask his Vet during your next visit. :dk

Hopefully, the food change will help Oliver. I have changed foods so many times (including two months on Royal Canin) that I can't even remember all of the foods. But, there are no other significant changes with our pups. :evil

Dawn :paw

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 pm 
Forum Legend

We always have eye gunk here. It makes no diff what food they eat. I've gotten use to eye gunk and stinky faces. It is not infection.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:52 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I have recently changed over to raw diet for all three dogs in my house. Their eyes have improved immensely. Hannah does have allergies especially to pine but her eyes are no longer always red. The Boston has great eyes especially for a protruding eyeball type of gal she is. :happy

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."