An Online Community Of Cocker Spaniel Lovers
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Cataracts- UPDATE
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:01 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Charley has an appointment tomorrow with an ophthamologist. I have been reading as much as I can on the internet about the treatment and lens replacement. Have any of you gone through this before? If so, I would like to hear your stories and what the outcome was of any surgery.

A little background on Charley:
He is 3 years old (according to what paperwork we have). We rescued him (owner surrender) this past March. The previous owner had him for about a year and had adopted him from animal services so we have very little background on him. I do know he was diagnosed with the cataract when she took him to the vet right after she adopted him. He received very little health care while the previous owner had him (both ear canals are calcified and he had a UTI and serious ear infection when I picked him up). Now that the rest of his health issues have been addressed it is now time to deal with his eye.

We have no idea if he was born with the cataract or had some type of injury that might have caused it so we are in the dark knowing how long he might have had it. Maybe the doctor can give us an idea tomorrow? :dk

UPDATE

We're back from the doc. Poor Charley was so scared but he did eventually calm down. He hates going to the vet anyway.

It was classed as a juvenille cataract and they did what I assume is the standard tests. Stained the eye, tear production test on both eyes and glucoma test on both eyes. Prescribed Antitox-50 and drops (for inflamation) twice a day. Explained all about cataracts and the surgery etc as we are new to this and told us about what to watch for in the other eye. Pretty much textbook from what I had read.

THEN the GOOD part. It seems that the cataract is very fluid and that it is breaking down and disappearing on its own. When he told us my mouth fell open and I just about cried! He also said that since he has had that cataract for at least 1-1/2 years (that we know of) that he may not get one in the other eye and he saw no sign of it starting. Fingers are crossed. We are hoping that the cataract keeps shrinking and will finally just go away.

You have no idea how relieved we are. :YAY

http://www.etsy.com/shop/treasurepicker

History you can touch!

Last edited by DotInFlorida on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cataracts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:32 pm 
Forum Legend

Dot, there was a lot of information on the forum about this subject before it crashed. There are a lot of folks on here that have delt with this and can hopefully offer assistance. Just wishing you well and bumping this up in hopes that someone will respond.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

Post subject: Re: Cataracts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:53 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Hi Dot - it sure sounds like Charley has been through alot in his life. My boy Bentley was diagnosed with juvenille cataracts when he was 2.5 years old. We had noticed that he was starting to act very spooky around objects, started refusing to do obstacles on the agility course and started to become aggressive with other dogs. We took him to our vet and asked her to check his eyes - when she looked at them she said that he had cataracts in both eyes. We took him to the opthamologist and they said that he had very little eye sight in both eyes and if he were a human he would be considered legally blind. That was sure a shock to hear, but it made sense as to why he was acting out. We decided to schedule him for surgery and a few weeks later he had his cataracts removed. We had to do some testing before to make sure he was a good candidate (had to make sure his retinas were in good shape and still attached) and thankfully Bentley was a good candidate :th-up Bentley had his cataract surgery on July 24,2007 and his new life began. The surgery was a total success and my boy regained his eye sight :joy After the surgery he was a on very strict schedule of medications and lots of different types of drops that had to be given various times throughout the day. Thankfully I don't work, so I was home with him all day and able to give him the care he needed. Bentley was also not allowed to run around, chase balls, bark etc for about two months. It has been 3 years since his surgery and i am very happy to say he continues to do well. He still has eye drops twice a day to control the eye pressures in his eyes, but other than that he has had no problems.
It was the most wonderful feeling to watch Bentley grow and become more confident after his surgery as he had become very timid. He is the happiest boy and loves to sit on the deck and watch the world go by. I will never forget the first time Bentley saw a person cross the road at a cross walk he almost looked shocked at being able to watch the person cross the road or when he walks into a room and sees you he gets so excited. Thinking about that makes me tear up as I am typing this.
Yes the surgery is expensive & the after care was alot of work, but it was well worth it for Bentley being able to see and enjoy life again. :th-up If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how Charley is.

Kath

Mum to cocker kids
Bailey Girl - Aug 2,2001 &
Bentley Boy - June 1,2004
Married to the most wonderful man - Arlon

forever missing Sandy, Kodiak, Elsa and Petra

"He who has health, has hope. And he who has hope, has everything"

Post subject: Re: Cataracts- UPDATE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:30 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Hi Dot, thanks for the update on Charley. I have been thinking about him all day and wondering how he made out. I am so happy for you that you got a good report. Did they vet think that he would need surgery? I didn't know that cataracts could shrink :dk It sounds like Charley's cataracts are slow growing. Bentley's cataracts grew very quickly and thus needed his surgery right away to restore his eye sight. Please keep us updated on how Charley is doing.

Kath

Mum to cocker kids
Bailey Girl - Aug 2,2001 &
Bentley Boy - June 1,2004
Married to the most wonderful man - Arlon

forever missing Sandy, Kodiak, Elsa and Petra

"He who has health, has hope. And he who has hope, has everything"

Post subject: Re: Cataracts- UPDATE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:05 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Dotty - PM coming in!

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)